Author Topic: Concealed the Conclusion released for free on GitHub.  (Read 6132 times)

Concealed the Conclusion released for free on GitHub.
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:53:17 AM »

Back in July, Danmaq relicensed 東方夢終劇 〜 Concealed the Conclusion under CC-BY-NC 4.0 and published it on GitHub, and somehow nobody noticed. Except for Nmlgc (thcrap dev), who as of this post was the only person who retweeted danmaq's original announcement on Twitter.
If you were interested in playing CtC but were previously unable to purchase it, now's your chance to check out one of Touhou's earliest notable fangames.
Even if you're not interested in the game, at least consider downloading it for the OST.
The sprites and SFX might be useful to some Danmakufu devs as well.

Download page for CtC. Also on that page are links to the Spell Card collection and even the English Patch that was originally posted here on MotK.

In addition to CtC, Danmaq also relicensed his earlier shmup, 東方時封城 〜 the Alternative Age, under CC-BY 4.0.
Download page for tAA.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:54:52 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Re: Concealed the Conclusion released for free on GitHub.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
Oh wow, it's been such a long time since I've heard of this. This game was the game that actually led me to this community, albeit from fanfic someone made based on this game that I wish I could remember who it was, but it's lost in one of the older iterations of MotK.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:11 PM »
Hey thank you for posting this. I already shared it with two of my friends, they liked it.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:08:44 AM »
I got a chance to download CtC from GitHub, and of course it crashes at bootup. For me, getting it to work required the following steps:
  • Run config.exe then click OK - this allows th_dnh to boot to the main menu.
  • Enable Japanese Locale using e.g. Locale Emulator - this allows CtC script to load without crashing th_dnh.
  • Install the DX8 to DX9 converter - this fixes unlimited FPS.

Danmakufu also supports the VSyncPatch, but you need to unpack th_dnh.exe with UPX, or else vpatch.exe won't work.
I've also attached a pre-unpacked th_dnh.exe to this post in case you don't want to set up UPX: [attach=1]
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Drake

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:29:33 AM »
Yep, CtC runs on DNH v0.12m and the latter three issues are standard for recent systems, unfortunately.

I think it's interesting that it's licensed as CC. Also notable that the assets are licensed for non-commercial purposes only, but the scripts are not.

It's cool that the game is now legally available for free, but this feels more like an archival than an actual sort of release. Additionally, if you had the game (legitimately or not) the source was always available. If anything I'm wondering why it took this long to get out, at a time where very few people will probably care anymore now that there are many high-quality STG fangames. Maybe they just forgot about it and one day figured they'd just finally do this.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Maths ~Angelic Version~

• Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
Interesting development, but as Drake said, it's probably for archival purposes. It's still good to hear that the game won't be lost now that it's out of print (after all, illegitimate sources tend to get taken down).

I wonder if danmaq will do the same to Mythical Mirror? It seems like he just released the game to little fanfare at C82, nobody really cared and they quickly forgot about it. Considering that CtC is largely forgotten by now as well, maybe he'll also archive MM... Not that MM was that great of a game, but it's possible to squeeze some fun out of it in spite of its flaws (which I suspect were due to danmaq rushing the development or something). And I hope someone can mod the game to fix them.