Author Topic: 2017 in Touhou Past and Future  (Read 3437 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
2017 in Touhou Past and Future
« on: December 19, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
Is it just me or was there no 2016 version of this? Strange. Anyway, with less than 2 weeks to go until 2018, it's time once again to reflect on your Touhou experiences over the past year! Usual format is usual:

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017: Post about your favorite achievement(s). Your own, that is.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Well, biggest screw-up(s) are just that.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017: Other players do cool achievements as well. Post your favorites.

Goals for 2018: What are your goals for 2018? If you have anything planned.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: Give other people some ideas of what you think is cool. Challenge them into a race, some silly competition. Anything works.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:26:48 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: 2017 in Touhou Past and Future
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017: I'm generally proudest of all the work I got done with DDC survival this year, but specifically, my DDC LNB clear with ReimuB is the culmination of all that. One of the hardest Touhou challenges I've ever done, but immensely rewarding once I got it. Honorable mentions go to my SA Lunatic 1-life clear (which is what got me back into Touhou in the first place after a year off) and being afaik one of the first people in the world to capture Breezy Cherry Blossom on Lunatic (notable also because I had to shake off a lot of rust really quickly to do it).

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Not getting Lunatic no-release 1ccs with every shot in HSiFS. Getting de-motivated from repeated failures is still a problem of mine, apparently.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017: Mino and Yatsuzume's various LNNs take the cake for me. Their "double SA LNN" earlier in the year was hype, and Yatsuzume being iirc the first Westerner to LNN a game (HSiFS in this case) before any Japanese players (though not first overall) was cool in its own way.

Goals for 2018: Most of the things I have on my to-do list really don't have a set schedule, but one thing I definitely want to do in 2018 is score over 2 billion in TD Lunatic with Reimu, the only scoring challenge among my "older" (pre-2014) challenges and the last one left in that list as well. Oh, and finish up those HSiFS LNR 1ccs with every shot lol.

Challenges to Other Players: No matter what you do, don't get discouraged! Don't be afraid to do what you want, and don't let others (or yourself!) put you down because it's not among the top-tier kinds of survival or scoring challenges.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017: My UFO Lunatic 2.721b with SanaeB. Felt amazing when I finished the run on stream, and what made it even more amazing was that I was playing with the original game, so the score was bugged out. When I saw the score show on the results screen, I felt completely ecstatic. Definitely one of the most wonderful feelings I've experienced playing Touhou. Second place would be my first 2.5b clear (2.543b) that I achieved back in February. I felt even more joyful when I got it, since I worked on it for a few months at the time. That run really set the foundation for me for many things to come.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: I guess it would be a 2.7b potential run I had die at the end of Stage 5, and this happened a couple weeks or so before the 2.721b clear. I died while trying to summon the final blue UFO of the stage, which stung. Thankfully the next 2.7b potential run I had entering Stage 5 resulted in the clear, so no worries there.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017: KG's UFO Lunatic 2.908b with ReimuB, ニャムニャム's UFO Extra sweep, otd's TD Lunatic 4b with Youmu, SOC and Gobou breaching 700m in EoSD Lunatic with ReimuB, HUF's LoLK Lunatic 3.209b with Reisen, LYX's IN Lunatic 5.803b with Border Team, and Ranko's SA Lunatic 4.018b with ReimuA in regards to the east. As for the west, Obama's 5.263b IN Lunatic with Magic Team, seventh's MoF Extra WRs, spirit's MoF LNN, Mino's DDC Lunatic 1.906b with SakuyaB, Maribel's Samidare accomplishments, and RB's rapid growth in LoLK Lunatic scoring come to mind the most. But I'd say that many worked quite hard this year. Was nice to see all sorts of achievements!

Goals for 2018: UFO Lunatic 3b. 2.9b+ first so I can see what I can brush up on.

CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: Get a new computer so you can get your 5.5b, Obama! And RB, plz 3.5 :^)

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:27:19 AM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017: Mountain of Faith Extra No Bombs. Not only my highest tier of achievement so far, but it was a pretty crazy run :) I died twice in the stage and kept going, then lost my last spare life in the last seconds of Red Frog, forcing me to capture the last two cards -- and I had never captured Suwa War before. I'm just sad that I only got this after Touhou Replay Showcase had finished.

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: I still haven't gotten HSiFS Hard, nor NNB. I put it down to there being too much temptation to do risky things for score in this game :) And yet another 1.9 in IN. I now have 1.9 for two teams on Easy and three on Normal, and only one score above 2.0.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017: Watching the LNN race has been great fun. And a different type of achievement: everyone who kept TRS running as long as it did.

Goals for 2018: Stop procrastinating and get MoF Lunatic as my first ever Lunatic 1cc! Hopefully before 18/2 as my Touhou anniversary.

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: Mino: Get your next LNN at a time when I'm around to watch it :)

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:58:13 AM »
Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017: Don't have one in particular, probably my LNBNR of HSiFS with Reimu, I think it's a pretty solid run and a pretty big improvement over my first LNBNR with Marisa

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Not being able to get a NMNB Okina with Reimu. I have no idea what the deal is, I've done it with Marisa multiple times, but I have upwards of 200 tries with Reimu and still nothing

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017: Yats and Mino's LNNs, especially the double SA LNN

Goals for 2018: I dunno, lower my SA/HSiFS LNB/NR miss count I guess, I think something like 3-miss is a good goal. or who knows, I might go for LNN.
Spoiler:
I won't
. [/size]

[OPTIONAL] Challenges to Other Players: I'm really looking forward to Yats's Scarlet Team IN LNN

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB