Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone  (Read 199848 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone
« Reply #870 on: May 23, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »
Like most Fire Emblem lords she's mainly defined by her relationships with other characters. I'm not saying that's good or correct, but it is kind of a precedent that's been with the franchise since the beginning. And she lacks for interesting relationships with other characters too since Heroes doesn't have traditional support conversations between units. That's something I would love to see added, even if it's just a few rare cases with special story units.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #871 on: May 23, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
Yeah, I remember telling someone else that FEH suffers hard from the lack of support conversations. The story for these games were never great, but the supports gave the characters some life and depth, likeability, and we don't get that here. Forging Bonds kinda attempts this but it's not quite enough (though the recent ones have been pretty good).
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #872 on: May 23, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »
Forging Bonds is a good step in the right direction that doesn't gate character development behind owning rare units. The first few were pretty bad, they've been gradually getting better, but I really didn't like this Fallen Heroes one that just ended. It felt like a lot of the same thing over and over, except for Tiki's chapters which were super sweet and good and sort of propped up the other ones.

It's too bad the paralogues can't fill the same purpose more consistently but they end up inevitably bogged down in spending most of their time just introducing the shiny new event characters. And explaining some kind of stupid Anna scheme of course, but that's the best part, I definitely wouldn't want to get rid of that part. :D

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #873 on: May 25, 2019, 03:13:20 PM »
Renewal seal seems pretty fantastic. Off the top of my head, I can see it used by Falchion/Tikis and Reciprocal Aid pseudo-healers.
The biggest advantage would be being able to run it along side another B skill, maybe the happiest person being Brave Celica, who can finally sustain her own hp. Maybe Ephraim too? Not a whole lot of choices otherwise I feel. Maybe Sudden Panic? Guard would be good.
I feel like in most cases just going for better defenses would be better.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #874 on: May 26, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of Renewal as a general rule, but there's one very important exception: Arena. Renewal gives your featured unit a lot of staying power and often stealth trivializes Surtr if put on a red unit or a bulky green unit.

You can also stock a shitload of Renewals now which I can't think of a good use for, but there might be one somewhere. Usually if you're in a position where it's good then you have the time to stall unit you full heal off of even Falchion healing, but it could come up in certain Abyss maps or something in weird situations.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #875 on: May 28, 2019, 11:22:35 PM »
Renewal is also one of the higher scoring skills, so I liked running it in the B slot for arena on bonus units I didn't have built up. I feel like it would generally be better in the B slot so you could run like Close Defense or something in the seal. If you have a better B slot than Renewal, you probably shouldn't be having much trouble with that bonus unit anyways is how I feel.

Just randomly got a 150$ iTunes gift card from a neighbor who said they received it for christmas last year but had no use for it (ya!). I don't use iTunes either so I just chucked all that in here for orbs. I decided to break my pity rate and save the rest, which I did and got a Mareeta. I have an unused Mia so I could grab both Flashing Blade 4 and Null Follow-up from her... but I don't really see a whole lot of use for Flashing Blade 4 to be honest. It doesn't do anything special that won't be missed from just using FB3, and it takes up the A slot. Null Follow-up is kinda meh too.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #876 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:44 AM »
Wait, you can use Itunes gift cards in Heroes? I have a few I was given for Christmas that I have absolutely no use for, that's rad.

I'm getting real close to 1000 orbs, and there's still no Brave Camilla quite in sight. I'll definitely be shelling out for another Adrift Camilla (mine is +0 and has a bad nature and it's been driving me crazy) and a Null C Disrupt fodder given the opportunity. It also occurred to me this morning that I could +10 my Summer Camilla this summer if I want to, she's already my highest-merged exclusive unit at +5, so it might be worthwhile. I probably won't do it, I'll probably just keep saving, but we'll see. Best case scenario there's a legendary banner with her and Nailah on it.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #877 on: May 29, 2019, 03:13:11 AM »
It was an "App Store & iTunes" gift card, light blue with wavy lines. Might be the app store part that let me buy orbs, but does Apple even sell iTunes only gift cards any more?

New Mythic trailer just came out, Naga it is this time. She's honestly really scary for someone going for a dragon emblem team (holy crap, she even gives dragon effectiveness to ranged units!?).

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #878 on: May 29, 2019, 04:34:22 AM »
Oh yeah, that's the kind of card I have. Shows how close I looked at it I guess. Although I have an Android phone, so I assume I can't really use it for mobile stuff anyway. Oh well.

More mythic heroes=more abyss maps! Other than that I don't really care about Naga that much, I don't really like her animations or her abilities. I don't hate the idea of introducing extremely harsh hard counters to certain unit types, it gives the metagame a safety valve and it still should be fairly easy to counterplay, but the way she does it is... weird. I guess her stat bonuses from her weapon are so huge that it gives you a reason to stack anti-dragon abilities even if you're not up against dragons, but it's odd design.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #879 on: May 29, 2019, 07:21:13 AM »
I have an Android too, had to free up space on my iPad to use it.

A potential of +9 to each stat on a regular team is the highest stat buff on a single weapon so far, up from a potential +8 on Selkie (and even then, only against melee). It takes up the C slot to reliably use, but man that's strong, and it's not like the C skill is at all bad either it's really good. Since we have such a strong dragon counter, they should introduce a dragon weakness nullifier of some kind.
What's really odd design is making Naga an AR offense season hero. Why not defense? That would have made a million more sense.

In other news, getting that Mareeta let me finish my FCorrin. In all her glory

Eventually she'll get her prf and I can work on her again but I don't have anything to adjust on her. Or I don't feel like messing with the build since it's so powerful. I might have to replace her with another blue dragon (maybe Ninian) on my dragon emblem idea since this build doesn't fit my need on that team but I don't want to change it.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #880 on: May 29, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »
There is at least one dragon weakness nullifier, it's just trapped in Garon's personal weapon.

Did you have to transfer your game data and transfer it back or something to use your iPad for the gift card? I don't own an iPad or iPhone and I don't know anyone who does, but maybe I can figure something out.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #881 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
No, as long as you link your Nintendo account when starting up, you can play on your account from multiple devices.

Just make sure when you stop using the device that you simply uninstall the app instead of deleting the account because deleting your account will delete your account.

There might be an iPhone emulator or something around.

edit: oh, and orbs don't transfer between ios/Android, so you'll have to use all your orbs on that iPhone/iPad. If you're borrowing someone's iPad or whatever, plan on summoning all in that sitting unless they're nice and you have easy access to it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:33:53 PM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #882 on: June 03, 2019, 04:21:59 PM »
Aw man, I've been really dragging my ass on getting to tier 21 in Aether Raids and this could have been the week but I really screwed myself with a single dumb move last night. I had one battle where I only got 40 points and +5 aether and would have reset with one of the three ladders I have remaining but I accidentally let the enemy end the battle on their turn. Now I'm going to come up like 50 lift short and 5 aether short of getting another battle in. Oops. I have a gold throne and I've never been able to use it. Hopefully next week.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #883 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:33 AM »

This was another real tricky one that I enjoyed a lot. Featuring Easter Camilla for the first time in an Abyss map as far as I remember.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #884 on: June 05, 2019, 06:35:04 AM »
Naga's LHB stumped me even on Infernal and took me a while, but I did finally manage to clear it on Abyssal with dragon emblem. ATiki MVP. It helped a lot that only like two enemies ever spawned behind you. I had to go through and fodder a lot of really expensive stuff (Ward/Goad Dragon, Atk/Spd and Def/Res Link skills, DC) but those were being kept to be foddered to them anyways so I don't feel bad at all about it. Here's the video I took of it for anyone interested.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #885 on: June 05, 2019, 12:23:36 PM »
Managed to just tank all the super effective damage, huh? I tried to tentpole up FCorrin with MCorrin and Marth a few times. The fight does not go well Enterprise. But I guess that's the difference between having one defensive dragon and several offensive dragons.

I think everyone declaring that all dragons are completely useless now because of Naga can officially chill out. Turns out having the best stats and weapons in the game by far is still good enough (not the best skills though, those are reserved for armors). Not that an A skill that cancels dragon effectiveness isn't probably still called for, but I think it's safe to say the entire meta won't be turning on its head any time soon.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #886 on: June 07, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »

So I'm sure the answer here is obvious and I'm being dumb, but shouldn't I be getting lift bonus with this combination of blessings and season? What am I missing or forgetting here?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #887 on: June 07, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »
Anima and Dark mythic heroes only reduce lift loss  from AR Defense defeats. (You can double check by tapping on Duma's blessing icon)

The ones that increase lift gains from AR Offense victories are the light and astra mythic heroes (Eir, Naga). Kind of a silly system.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #888 on: June 07, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
That's dumb. But fair enough. This whole endeavor was a waste of blessings then, but it turns out they're very disposable soooo

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #889 on: June 11, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »
I'm pretty satisfied with the new update stuffs. The new refines were all pretty interesting and unique (besides Elincia's), I hope we get more of these kind in the future. The story reveal was also nice. It's pretty amazing that people were able to figure it out last chapter, but I like that it's an actual thing now, makes me more interested in the plot.

And then we have that new datamined picture of a character named Thorr, who's design I'm all for. The book III characters really do have great designs compared to the book II characters. They're so much more streamlined and tasteful compared to book II's tendency to be overdesigned with terrible color palettes with a million colors. I'm a fan. Tangentially made me go rent Thor Ragnarok, which I quite enjoyed, surprisingly.

All in all, pretty great. Shade accessory might also be the single best accessory so far, it works on like anyone.

edit: I think I'm slowly coming around to Fjorm, which gives me conflicting feelings. Her design isn't even super terrible, just the generic, overwhelming anime-ness of it made a terrible impression on me. Also her writing sucked. The color palette is actually cohesive for a book II character, and the details when made less prominent make the overall design actually look nice (ie: when someone else draws it). And she's a pretty good unit too. Never liked this feeling, I guess she's growing on me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:41:49 AM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #890 on: June 11, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »

Yesyesyesyesyes. Not sure which Camilla to put these on, but... Hot springs. Definitely hot springs.

That pose. Smooth AF.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #891 on: June 13, 2019, 11:03:28 PM »
I was going to use orbs on the upcoming legendary banner (though I still might if the other colorless units are great), but on second thought, it might be better off to hold on to them until we see what crazy shenanigans the Three Houses units will bring to the game. Game lauches late July, so I'd expect FEH to get them sometime around then too.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #892 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »
I sure hope so. We just kind of glazed past Fire Emblem Warriors with zero units so I've been low-key worried that somehow Three Houses wouldn't be represented, or at least not in a timely fashion. But when I consciously think about it that seems impossible, it definitely would have to be.

Meanwhile, is anyone else kind of worried about Three Houses? It looks ominously like an Echoes to me. The characters, premise, and story look great but the gameplay looks exactly like what I don't like in my Fire Emblems. It's probably way too early to tell and I'm being paranoid but it clearly borrows a lot from Echoes and that is pretty concerning to me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:49:47 AM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #893 on: June 14, 2019, 01:55:32 AM »
I wouldn't be worried about representation, we immediately got 2 banners on Echoes' launch, and we're (well, finally) getting new units like the Celicas and Alms and Delthea. And it is a mainline game. I would expect them to start pushing 3H like Fates and Awakening were back last year-ish.
(edit: and we would, presumably, get more devs working on FEH after 3H finishes development. Presumably. Big presumably.)

Admitedly, I haven't watched much of anything from it yet, gameplay or otherwise. Weren't Risen making a return or something? I know people were talking about the engine itself seeming like it was built straight on top of Echoes'. Apparently there's going to be a timeskip in it, I really hope deeprealms shenanigans don't return again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:57:36 AM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #894 on: June 14, 2019, 02:24:34 AM »
The timeskip gimmick in this one sounds like the coolest part I think. The way I understand it, there's a Persona-style life sim element with the school, and throughout the early game you can recruit students by spending some of your limited time with them. And after the time skip everyone you didn't recruit joins an enemy army. As far as I know child units aren't a factor, but it's still a neat gimmick.

The engine looks like it's built on Echoes, and it seems like a lot of mechanics are carried over as well, possibly including the skill system and lack of classes and therefore meaningful distinction between the starting units. There's no reason the Echoes mechanics can't work, if they're executed well they could be great, but I like nice clean distinctions between my characters so I'm not really even in favor of reclassing, much less generic classes. Fates did a great job of addressing that with personal skills, but from what we've seen of Echoes so far those seem to only exist in spirit since a ton of characters have identical ones.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #895 on: June 17, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
Rokkr seiges is out, seems fairly entertaining. I appreciate a new mode to make teams around. I think the optimal team would be like a horse emblem team with Brave weapons and Galeforce for 8 hits per unit. Even better if pair-up legendary heroes are used also with Brave Galeforce so you have like 48 attacks per turn.

Really wish pair up mechanics was more flexible and accessible.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #896 on: June 17, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »
I keep forgetting pair up exists and I keep forgetting to use it in game modes where it's legal. Honestly I'm pretty glad it's not playable in more modes because it has strong game-breaking potential, but it's not doing much of anything right now.

Brave weapons might be the optimal build, but I wonder if having an enemy phase character with Swap and Obstruct or something to try to wring as much damage as possible about the enemy phase too or something. Maybe sponging the reinforcements on enemy phase too so you don't have to waste actions on them? I dunno. Might be interesting to try to math out.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #897 on: June 18, 2019, 02:56:40 AM »
As long as you're not trying to turbo it, the Obstruct strategy seems safest and most versatile/reusable to me, yeah. A flexible formation I can think of is:
E
O
R
S
Where E=enemy, O=Obstruct user, R=Ranged attacker, S=Healer/dancer support. The last unit goes around the map taking care of enemies (which also increases the damage boost by about 3% per unit, from what I've seen), getting some help from the support where necessary.
If the Obstruct Seal user can double in both phases, they can run a Galeforce Brave weapon build for 10 hits per turn (8 times in player phase, 2 hits in enemy phase). The Ranged attacker can attack 2 times in player phase. So, a total of 12 hits per turn. Both of them running Guard or Special Fighter so the special doesn't charge.
In Advanced mode, 25000 damage is the goal (no Axes used), and we start with a 4x damage multiplier, so:
25000/4 = 6250
6250/7 turns/12 hits = 75 damage needed per hit. Which is still kinda high but doesn't seem impossible with Triangle Adept, effective weaponry, some fiddling with the ranged unit, and sometimes sneaking in a hit with the other 2 units.

Pair up being too accessible would inevitably lead to Awakening Galeforce sweeping shenanigans, so balancing it seems difficult. But it's also not doing much right now like you said. Being forced to use a legendary hero is the most restrictive.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #898 on: June 18, 2019, 03:02:13 AM »
The problem with a setup like that, especially with quad hits, is that it's going to trigger the enemy's special that swaps places and deals splash damage A LOT. Rokkr don't have especially high stats so all the chaos that causes might still be manageable with a team composition that's built with it in mind, but I wonder if that means single hit damage with blade tomes or something might not be more consistent.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #899 on: June 18, 2019, 03:35:00 AM »
That's what the Guard or Special Fighter is for so the special doesn't charge (some people use Witchy Wand). Obstruct was a Sacred Seal, if I remember correctly. Going under the threshold shouldn't be a big problem if you're using Triangle Adept.

Bladetome on the ranged unit in the back could be good, but it alone probably isn't enough, 6250HP is a lot to take down.