Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone  (Read 199937 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone
« Reply #780 on: October 30, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »
I have a shot at another crown this week. I'm in tier 20 with a water season and two of the new featured units to choose from. I'm not sure how to expect unmerged Loki to score though even with a duel skill, so maybe the fact that I have to bring two unmerged units between her and Fjorm will be too much of a score hit.

Edit: So after playing a few games with an arena team with Loki, my impression is that it scores surprisingly high (I guess the extra few merges since last time made a big difference) but Loki is bad so it's hard to use. I have to rely on other units chipping down enemies but not killing them which is a hassle and very inconsistent. Or I could give Loki Dazzling Staff or maybe a different weapon I guess, but I only have one Dazzling Staff fodder and if I give her a different weapon then I'll probably need to give her Wrathful Staff...

This is a very different experience from last time when I was just tanking absolutely everything with a juiced Fjorm, so the change of pace might be fun.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:51:37 PM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #781 on: November 01, 2018, 02:25:47 AM »
The new Abyss maps remind me of the last pair, where Eirika is incredibly difficult and Lyn is disappointingly easy. I don't even know how I'm going to handle Eirika, nothing I've tried so far has even really gotten close. I'm sure I'll figure something out though and I look forward to puzzling it out, but there's no doubt that it's by far the hardest thing in the game.

Edit: I was going to do "just one more run" before bed and ended up playing for an hour and slowly figuring it out. This took a ton of fine-tuning, but I managed to squeak out a win with your friend and mine, Camilla's sister. :D

Spoiler:
The secret was planning in advance to have units in the correct places when reinforcements spawned at the very bottom of the map so I could immediately kill them and use the choke point to funnel the enemies spawning everywhere else. Enemy healers will seemingly always heal even over getting a kill so keep that in mind when dealing with the cavalry healer.

Also be aware that there are some reinforcement waves that spawn surprisingly late, well after I figured I had the map locked down. They may even spawn indefinitely every other round, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:10:41 AM by commandercool »

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #782 on: November 01, 2018, 11:58:18 PM »
I noticed when doing Infernal that killing the flier triggers the green mage to appear and that killing the cav red mage causes the infantry red mage to appear, the rest just appear by turns
Mwahahahahha!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #783 on: November 02, 2018, 12:29:53 AM »
Oh shit really? That explains a lot then. Huh. That's not a mechanic we see often in Heroes is it?

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #784 on: November 02, 2018, 12:37:15 AM »
I think Legendary Hector's map had this too. One of them did.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #785 on: November 06, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
We'll have a new FEH channel coming 8th at 12:30 +9, length would be around 13 minutes
Mwahahahahha!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #786 on: November 06, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »
Looks like it's not going to be 3.0, but hopefully it'll give us some neat stuff before 3.0 gets revealed in December.

Fingers crossed for more Abyss content, but obviously a skill refinery, arena 3.0, and villager mode would be great if they're in the cards.

Edit: Oh FUCK new Camilla.

I acknowledge that we did not need a fifth Camilla and that someone else could have used that slot.

That said, her outfit is gorgeous, best-looking one yet, wtb. :3
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:25:03 AM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #787 on: November 08, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
So the new Feh Channel had three important pieces of information:

-We're getting the much-demanded ability to buy past GHB and Tempest Trial units with a new currency (unfortunately not including the starters).

-New game mode replacing gardens that's more or less the PVP from Fates.

-And most important of all, Feh is confirmed to be a green mage. Playable Feh when?!

(Oh yeah and something something book three.)

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #788 on: November 09, 2018, 06:22:31 PM »
There are probably some problems I'm missing, but man do Aether Raids feel so much better than Arena. I actually get to use all the units in my team? Wow, such a liberating concept. It's been so long since I've been able to use Reposition against pvp teams too.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #789 on: November 09, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »
And you can view replays finally! It's so good! There are probably some bad things about it that we haven't discovered yet but there's a ton that's good about it.

I bought some stones and failed to pull Dream Camilla (although I got Dream FCorrin) and am trying to decide whether I can be patient or if I'm going to buy myself some more as an early birthday present to myself. If I did and still didn't pull her I would be pretty bummed though...

Edit: Yeah, I decided to buy some orbs and got a Dream Camilla (-atk/+spd, could be much better and much worse), and a Dream MCorrin for my trouble. Spent more on this than I would have liked but it's fine. Happy early birthday to me. 🎉
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:03:59 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #790 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:58 AM »
I did okay on the first round of Aether Raids, which I'm happy with especially considering that I didn't really understand the scoring mechanism at first. Got a silver throne, although I can't actually use it because I'm not a high enough strata apparently. I'm curious/concerned to see what happens once people start losing score on defense, I only actually won like three defenses over the whole event, so if each loss loses more than a couple of points I'll just be stuck in tier 11 forever and I assume everyone else will be too. A decent chunk of my defenses took out at least one enemy, so if that counts for anything I might be okay, but I suspect it won't.

Edit: I gotta admit, for how atrocious Aether Raid defense teams look on paper I keep surprising myself with how much fun they are to fight. Every enemy team is either Aversa or cavalry with Veronika or some combination of multiple healers and dancers (and maybe Aversa) but I have yet to run into one that just felt impossible.

We're at the point where I can no longer reliably destroy both enemy resources, but the actual battles have remained more or less doable despite how similar the teams are, and they can be fun puzzles of figuring out the flaw in the layout.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:34:36 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #791 on: November 25, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »

Yeeees! Too bad I won't be able to use it forever because it's inexplicably locked until tier 19.

Edit: Fuuuuck had my first aether raid attack loss this morning thanks to a misclick where I Repositioned one of my units away and timed out before killing all opponents as a result. Because of the weird way this game mode is constructed that's going to have a long-lasting impact...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:34:36 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #792 on: December 04, 2018, 04:27:49 AM »
Just finished the last of the new Abyss maps. Ryoma isn't too bad, Lucina is very difficult (and the eponymous lady might be the single most powerful unit we've ever seen in terms of sheer killpower and mobility), and Hrid is absolutely brutal. I had to try so many different things before I figured out a strat for him, I didn't have to dip into my reserve of premium skill inherits to craft a perfect counter for him but it got close.

I probably spent a combined eight hours working on these three maps, maybe more, and it was a blast. This is the best part of the game by far for me. I'm so glad Reddit doesn't get to design Abyss maps or they would consist of a single weak enemy with no weapon who tells you that you're good at Fire Emblem when you topple it over. People seem to hate reinforcements apparently, but I love them and absolutely don't believe that using them at all instantly counts as "bad design". Reinforcements are usually pretty bad in a traditional Fire Emblem game where surprise spawns late in a long map can turn it into a repetitive rote memorization task, but games are so fast in Heroes that it's not a hassle to trial-and-error through them. Losing a 60-second run to a sneaky reinforcement is a lot better than wasting an hour in Awakening. The only way to plausibly make a map this difficult without them would just be to require incredible specific unit counters and/or have a harsh timer, which doesn't sound anywhere near as interesting.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:33:04 AM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #793 on: December 10, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
Book three looks pretty spicy. We got edgy metal music, goofball edgy bad guys, beast units (birdy beast units are three-movement fliers when transformed!) and a new season mechanic that's going to effect Aether Raids in some way that's not touched on at all in the preview but seems pretty important.

Plus Feh drops a brief mention about how she should be able to transform like a Laguz too, I expect personified Feh fanart ASAP. I assume she's a cute chubby girl with glasses and messy hair.

Not too much revealed, but we hit the main thing people were expecting next to a skill refinery in beast units.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #794 on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:20 PM »
They're gonna run outta adjectives for special heroes soon!

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #795 on: December 28, 2018, 04:05:58 AM »
Well apparently banes are stop going to be a thing in like February. That's pretty cool. But I kinda stopped caring about this game because of all the grievances I had with the direction it was going, also I've been playing it already for 2 years. I'm still logging in to collect stuff and I might even pick it up again later, but for the time being it seems like I'm about ready to drop this.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #796 on: December 28, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
I've been playing pretty steadily and will continue to do so. Gotta get those Abyss Legendary Hero Battles, they're probably the most fun I've had with a game all year, but I know they're not to everyone's taste.

Spent almost 300 stones on the Legendary Azura banner just now since I really want infinite copies of all of the blue units, got an Azura early on, then nothing for well over 200 stones. I'm at a 13% rate now, almost 13.5%. And you just know that when it breaks there won't be any blues on the wheel...

Re: "the way the game is going", this is going to be a controversial opinion, but I think Surtr could have been good for the game. He ultimately isn't, but he could have been. Enemy phase teams are fundamentally less interesting than player phase teams and were overwhelmingly more powerful, so a harsh counter to them to force the meta to decentralize should have been a good idea. Unfortunately Surtr is minmaxed in such a way that he's just an even more powerful enemy phase unit who also happens to be good against old enemy phase units. I think people are vastly overblowing how hard he is to counter, especially in arena where you have unlimited time to kill him, but he is definitely a huge missed opportunity and a bad design and that sucks.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #797 on: January 26, 2019, 08:15:42 AM »

Even I'm not crazy enough to think this is okay, but it's the world we live in so might as well embrace it. :D

We no longer control oneechan, if we ever truly did. Now oneechan controls us.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #798 on: January 27, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »
I hadn't actually played since Palla's refine came out so I decided to get on that, and to work towards that I decided to go in on the Hot Springs banner to get some more fliers. Had 121 login orbs saved up so I withdrew those and combined with about 40 orbs I already had, came out with 2 Sakuras, 2 Hinokas, and a BIke. Nice.

Air Orders is what I had in mind to help setup the Triangle Attack requirement on the weapon, we'll see if it works. I wanted at least 2 of her so I could fodder off that Naga dagger. I wanted a healer so Sakura works, but I guess a dancer would have been better, I don't have any flying ones yet. Next time LAzura comes around I suppose I'll go aim for her.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #799 on: January 27, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »
Yeah I got lucky and snagged a Legendary Azura and she's as overpowered as she looks. Not super compatible with Camilla Emblem since I have no field buffs on it, but for Tactic teams or teams using Hone and Fortify Fliers she's the best dancer.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #800 on: January 27, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
I actually reinstalled recently and am doing exactly that! Legendary Azura, NY Hrid, Hinoka...
And legendary hector cuz I haven't raised a regular camilla. For shame.
That banner was such a disaster before getting her, I ended up with a... +3 Fjorm, ahaha.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #801 on: January 27, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
Hey don't sleep on +3 Fjorm, almost all of my Arena crowns have been on the back of Fjorm and she was at +0 for most of that. And she's very good in Abyss PVE situations. Obviously Azura would have been good, but Fjorm is a great consolation prize IMO.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #802 on: January 28, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
Speaking of arena crowns, one of the featured units for this arena session is Beruka and that's finally paying off my +10 Beruka ultra-defense build. She's so good in arena that if I can scrounge up the feathers to finish minmaxing her (she's only +8 right now, but I have the spares to finish her) then I think there's a legit chance I can get a tier 21 defense with her. She slam dunks all armors except Halloween Myr. She can win against infinite +10 Surtrs provided they don't have some kind of weird build (which they never do) and while she does lose to dragonspam on paper I have managed to get a few Beruka sweeps against dragon teams by leveraging Marth.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a +10 project using a common unit, especially if you care about arena, make a Marth. He's a great cheerleader (MCorrin is better but takes a lot of grinding to S-support your featured unit every week, plus they stack if you feel like making both and easy mode-ing the arena forever) and he allows nearly any unit to secure a kill on Surtr. Standard Surtr can never kill Marth ever unless you make a mistake or get a very bad map (possibly a few of the lava maps will fuck you over if you don't run Reposition on a flier?) and Marth can slowly chip him down over many many turns, healing up with Falchion in between attacks, and get him low enough for almost any tentpole to finish off. My Marth has been invaluable for arena, and he's occasionally useful in other modes. Like Relay Defense before it was killed.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #803 on: January 28, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »
Technically you don't need to S-support with Corrin since he only needs a C support to get his effect off.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #804 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »
Hmm, true. I've gotten used to factoring in his S support bonuses on the FCorrin I have him paired with, but I guess you really wouldn't need to. Fair enough fair enough.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #805 on: February 02, 2019, 07:15:59 AM »
I am definitely still in way over my head with all the ways to upgrade and improve units. Like, its annoying that the game doesnt tell me if I try to merge two units for better stats and its not possible why exactly it isnt.

I'm not sure what you mean there. Do you have a screencap of the game telling you it isn't possible? Are you maybe trying to inherit skills onto them instead of merging them? I almost accidentally did that recently, which would have produced almost no results, and fortunately the game warned me before I wasted a 5* Beruka.

Also, can merging units and/or upgrading them to 5 stars compensate for potentially bad IVs or do I just really have to keep pulling the same unit for the right IVs? Also also, how much do the right IVs even matter?

Upgrading a unit to five stars doesn't change their IVs. As of right now merging sort of helps in the sense that it slowly increases their states overall which does help a little with bad IVs, but there's a new change that's going to be implemented soon where your first merge erases your unit's bane IV (or gives bonuses to several different stats if they have neutral IVs) which will make a much bigger difference, and will create a large difference in power between a completely unmerged unit and one with at least some merges. That won't fix an unhelpful boon IV, but it will be useful.

If you really want a particular IV the only way to get it is to pull more copies of the unit, their IVs can't be changed to different stats once they're pulled. Overall they can make a big difference if they're really bad, like -ATK and +RES on a unit that you want to use for attacking and that already has a poor RES, but they shouldn't ever make a unit completely unusable if you really want to use them. Having a perfect IV with an ideal bane and boon is never necessary except in very specific matchup situations that you probably shouldn't worry about too much. Skills and team composition matter much more to a unit's success than IVs.

Also for that it's worth if you're planning on merging many copies of a common unit over time (or if you get lucky and find an extra copy of a rare unit later) you don't have to start with one with good IVs. If you find a better one later you can merge your existing unit to that one and all of your inherited skills and merges will carry over. I don't think SP does so you'll have to grind the SP to re-learn your skills, but that shouldn't take long even with very expensive skills thanks to all of the SP bonuses that are available and the usefulness of the skill training maps.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #806 on: February 02, 2019, 07:27:51 PM »
Getting ways to upgrade units is pretty cool with the incoming dragonflower feature, but since it's a blanket upgrade, I don't think it's going to give the older units a helping hand. Especially, there are trainee gen2 infantry units like the new Corrins that shouldn't be upgradeable 10 times. I hope they address that.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #807 on: February 03, 2019, 03:29:43 AM »
Yeah, they seem really ill-conceived honestly. If they're as easy to get as they look like they are then the only real purposes they serve are to give infantry a leg up (honestly pretty sketchy because there are a ton of top-tier infantry units) and to make older PVE content easier. Seems pointless as presented, but they could easily make a few twists to make them pretty cool and useful. Just scaling the number of flowers that can be used to a unit's age would help a ton.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #808 on: February 04, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
I was having a lot of trouble with Abyss Duma and couldn't really figure out a good starting point to my strategy, but Feh herself shown down upon me this morning and I finally pulled a Julia with my free pull on today's banner. Yeah, Julia's refine really picks up all dragons everywhere and gently sets them down in the trash can. Would +10 her if I could.

Edit: Yeah, Julia took that from "top two hardest Abyss maps" to "bottom two next to Abyss Hector". Maybe bottom one. Even Legendary Marth would have had a harder time I think.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:00:07 PM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #809 on: February 06, 2019, 09:32:13 AM »
Wow yeah Julia was mvp on Duma's map. Funny how merely disabling adaptive damage fixes her completely.

I spent all my orbs trying to get Nina for her Shining Bow to give to either Setsuna or Clarisse. No luck, but I did get a Genny. I'm glad I have a copy of her now so I don't have to place my first on fodder watch, she's pretty good I hear.

I've been going through leveling random units I got last week to HM farm on. NY Gunnthra's sword is really cool and unique. I'd build her for an AR defense team or something but I have her on fodder watch for Joint Hone Spd.