Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone  (Read 203444 times)

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone
« Reply #750 on: October 06, 2018, 04:12:54 AM »
Random off-topic.
Conquest Lunatic Classic cleared. Deathless even. I had to resort to cheese Endgame with Falcon Knight with Pass and Rescue, but eh. I think it's okay to cheat a little after all the bullshit Conquest Lunatic throws at you.
Wow that's really impressive congrats! I know I lost a couple units on the Endgame map, I think it's totally legit.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #751 on: October 06, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
My rank of 2813 was slowly slipping so I did a ludicrous amount of Arena grinding and got six extra points, which put me at 2333. I don't think I've dropped a single rank in quite a few hours, so maybe I'm safe here. If not then I have room to squeeze in a few more points, it's just going to be very painful.

Edit: Rank has been steadily sliding downhill all weekend, and right now I'm at 3053 with the cutoff being 3608. The season ends in ten hours so if the rate I've been dropping over the weekend keeps up then I'm safe for sure. I don't know if I should expect a huge spike in the last few hours though, and if there is one then I don't think I'll have the time to try to climb back up. Well, fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:50:40 PM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #752 on: October 08, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
I have 3732 and I'm at 2363/3609 so I think you might be fine?

I've now nearly fully optimized my team as much as I can and I've seen 744s and even a 748, I think? so I'm a little excited to actually try this next week and stay in T21. I'm going to be optimistic and hope that 744 will be enough, so here goes nothing. Fjorm week is going to make it difficult.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #753 on: October 08, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
In order to optimize this team more I would need to get weird and do something like putting Distant Counter and a different weapon on Fjorm. Which sounds pretty unappealing. There might be a better team I can use though, my grasp on how arena scoring works is pretty weak so I don't actually know what my best units are. And winning with mostly Camillas, if not all, is part of the fun.

Meanwhile, the new Halloween unit weapons all look extremely strong in the arena. Guard made getting my wins with maximum score boost much trickier than it would have been, so a bunch of Guard-adjacent weapons could make things pretty rough in the future. Not sure I expect them to be used, but if they are then they're going to be annoying on defense teams.

Remind me, is HMia the first flying cleric? I've been kind of hoping that if we ever get a Brave Camilla she'll be a flying cleric. Mia definitely seems solid even in a world where clerics are getting kind of saturated, her staff seems crazy powerful. I don't think I'll go out of my way to get her but I would be happy to have one.

Edit: Got a buffer of a little under 400 places between me and the cutoff, but I've been dropping at a faster and faster rate all day. This is gonna be a close shave one way or the other...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:55:44 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #754 on: October 08, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »

Yeeees. YEEEES.

What saved me was that the floor of tier 21 started falling this morning at almost exactly the same rate my rank was falling. Apparently a lot of people in tier 20 don't play until the last day? My final rank wouldn't have made it into 21 on Saturday, but it was plenty safe today. Neat!

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #755 on: October 09, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
Congrats! You worked hard for it.

Alright, I tried fishing out only 740s but I stopped because I don't think it would have been enough anyway. But I did reach a conclusion, that being that the low T21 range is complete bullshit. So many of the tools that could have made the battles more tolerable are all locked away from you because score reasons. You get Chills thrown at you from all sides that you can't deal with because Harsh Command isn't usable. Using anti armor weapons is also a score penalty. It's all about penalties. Ranged units are a pain in the ass to deal with if the bonus unit doesn't have DC. Facing multiple ranged units is a reset.

Even all this would still be tolerable if you weren't forced to feed the bonus unit kills, that's what smears turd all over this mode. You get one action per turn against 4 enemies, sometimes 4 very mobile enemies. It's relatively easy enough against armors, but it's ridiculous against mages, especially horse mages. The bonus unit changes were of course only made so IS could sell the Duel skills, which are only going to make things worse as the meta becomes impossible to predict and mobile ranged threats start dominating again.

They don't know what they're doing to this mode, they're ruining it. Taking dumps all over it.

I'm actually not that bitter if that's what all this sounded like. I'm pretty calm actually, if there's a tone you need to use to hear what I just said, imagine a dry sarcastic one. Arena's ruined, but it's not that surprising to me. To anyone else, that means: stay away from T21.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #756 on: October 09, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
I actually kinda had fun with NuArena this last week because it was something different and forced me to play differently than usual, but I'm definitely not going to claim it's good or balanced. A lot of things are basically auto-scoop indicators, including one map, which is pretty silly.

The one thing I can say for the actual strategic depth is that there's a lot of merit in using your non-bonus units for combat if you do it very carefully. Baiting ranged units so they can be engaged one at a time or bringing Special Fighter users with a color advantage against your bonus unit down to low health can take a lot of planning and strategy. But it's also only remotely viable part of the time. Maybe I could have built the sets on my support units in a way that made it a bit easier, but as it is the stars kind of need to align before you can even think about fighting with your support units.

I think the best case scenario is that the arena rules get shaken up on a semi-regular basis to force different playstyles. Right now we have "tentpole meta", maybe in a few months we could have an arena metagame where you get a bonus for getting one kill with each of your units and not doubling up at all or something. I know that's probably not going to happen, but it's the best solution I can practically come up with.

What it all comes down to for me honestly is that I don't care that much about Arena right now, especially since I got my crown. With Abyss maps being a thing and with the promise of many more on the way it's no longer the main lategame content. I know not everyone loves Abyss, but I do, it couldn't be more fun for me the way it's balanced right now. And I get a lot of time out of it, each map so far except Hector has taken me close to, if not more than, four hours to crack. That's kind of an unproductive thing to say, but while the arena is almost unarguably broken I'm pretty happy that I have another big goal to work on.

Grand Conquests feel sort of similar in that the top tier difficulty setting is genuinely hard content age is different enough from the normal game to encourage unit diversification and not just be coasted through with one core team, but the rewards for Grand Conquest are pretty poor compared to pointless cosmetic trophies. :D

Edit: Oh hey the new Abyss maps are out. Being on a 24-hour rotation kind of isn't great, these usually take me much longer than that to work out or even get to since I don't have time to play them most days. But we know they'll come back around pretty soon so I guess it's fine.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:44:51 AM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #757 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
Oooooh noooo. Abyss Navarre is not an Abyss map. I cleared it in one try with no-frills Camilla Emblem, sight unseen. And that's not me bragging, that's me being disappointed. I hope this was a fluke and not IS caving to pressure of people complaining that the hard content was hard. Give me all the enemy reinforcements! I like 'em!

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #758 on: October 09, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »
Alright, fished out only 740s and got my streak. It's only day 1 and I'm already 663/981. I'm probably falling, but I'm curious anyway.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #759 on: October 11, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
So maybe this is a known quantity to some, but it's news to me: We know what the new seals for the upcoming Tempest Trial are going to be. They're not duel skills like everyone was wishing against hope, but they are pretty good. Brazen Atk/Res (does that even exist in non-seal form?) and Darting Stance. I can see using both of those a lot, and if we ever get a Brazen Spd/Def then double brazens could be crazy.

Halloween Dorcas' weapon also seems unusually good to me. Assuming it can be inherited and refined, which I am, it replaces Slaying Axe on the hyper-defense Beruka set and lets her run Quick Riposte in her B slot for added offense while keeping the same defense (as well as looking waaaay cooler). The new Halloween weapons are worded like better Guard, that is how they work, right? They don't give - 1 cooldown each time a foe is hit by the weapon?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #760 on: October 12, 2018, 02:14:56 AM »
Since I'm a nerd that's up to date on this stuff, I should post a link to the datamines when they get put up. (Some even by our very own HertzDevil, amusingly)

I tested the weapon on the paralogue maps again and it seems a worse version of Guard in that it only works when you attack with the weapon, but not on the enemy attacks. Which I guess makes sense since a Guard that's always active could be annoying to deal with. But it's still such a niche effect that I hope it does get permanent Guard for the refine effect.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #761 on: October 12, 2018, 03:11:03 AM »
Ah gotcha. That's probably for the best, but that means it's not worth putting on Beruka.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #762 on: October 12, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
Someone pointed out to me that it actually is a Guard effect all the time. The non+ version works like I described while the + version works on either units' attacks. I don't remember something like this ever happening before where the effect changes at 5 stars. So yeah, Beruka would make good use of it.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #763 on: October 12, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
Okay that makes sense. The effect is worded the same so I wondered why it worked differently, but it's because it has two wordings. This is definitely one of the strongest weapons, almost scarily so. Doesn't matter too much to Flier Emblem fortunately.

My Beruka has been suuuper feather-inefficient, especially given how rarely I use her. I spent 20k feathers to give her Guard, and now I have to give her a 5*-exclusive weapon and another 20k feathers for Quick Riposte to replace it... Oh well, she's cool, and virtually guaranteed to get an arena defense or two if I ever decide to swap something in over Camilla Emblem for my defense team.

Edit: This also makes running a brazen skill on Beruka much more appealing. It was a little risky before because the first hit could knock her past Guard range before her defense went up, but that's not the case with a permanent guard effect. Replacing her Fortress Def with Brazen Atk/Def along with the other changes could REALLY juice her offense while also increasing her defense.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:55:32 PM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #764 on: October 13, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
I'm finally playing Birthright after putting it off for so long. Still in the prologue but it's already killing me that I have to fight my actual siblings now.

Anyway, I just noticed that Corrin has a prf dragonstone in Draconic Rage, in that chapter where he goes all berserk. Apparently Kana has it too. All it does is give Dodge+10, but it would be a pretty funny prf to give her in FEH if they decide to do that, she could even share it with the Kanas. I only hope they don't decide to make the stupid decision of including Fate's non-doubling effect too whenever they do make her prf because that would be pretty garbage.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #765 on: October 16, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »

What's my best B skill here? Quick Riposte is kind of a nonbo with Brazen Atk/Def, as is Renewal. I don't have Dull Close or I would use that. If Link skills were more common then one of those might be pretty great. Am I overlooking anything that would work well?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #766 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:58 PM »
Well, Chill Def comes on Walhart if that sounds appealing. Or you could use Seal Atk and use Even Def Wave from Silas in the C slot if you manage to get him, though I don't like Waves much. Or Seal Atk/Def which comes on Seth at 5*.

Not directly related: I was ambivalent about Darting Stance, but I did finally manage to realize one use for it that Quick Riposte can't match, that being that it combos with Fury. Fury QR doesn't work together, but Fury Darting Stance actually doesn't sound all that bad as a defensive, sometimes offensive, option. Don't know who'd run it, but it's there.

edit: and Brazen skills in general, that means. Huh. Interesting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:53:28 PM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #767 on: October 16, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »
Yeah I know a lot of people run Wave skills on Beruka but her role is to either stonewall an entire team and mop up incredibly slowly or not. Having variable stats doesn't really work for that. There is something to be said for giving her more support potential to actually contribute when she's not in a good matchup though, I guess Chill might be good for that.

Darting Stance's niche over Quick Riposte seems to be to bump up the speed of moderately fast units and prevent them from getting doubled as much as anything. I could see running it on Fjorm or Legendary Ike in some situations maybe.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #768 on: October 22, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
I'm normally not too worried about power creep in individual abilities but the new Fortress Def/Res seems completely off the charts better than similar skills. Fortunately it also seems like the only real candidate for demotion from this banner. Or do units not get demoted from small banners?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #769 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:25 PM »
People are speculating that we won't be getting demotes this time since it's our "Farfetched heroes 2" banner, and no one from the first got demoted either. Hopefully Aversa comes with useful skills.

Atk reduction always hurts, but I think I do prefer it over Brazen Def/Res since it'll always be active. And the normal Fortress skills, that goes without saying.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #770 on: October 22, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
And Close/Range Def in most cases which is the scariest one.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #771 on: October 23, 2018, 05:19:08 AM »
Aversa stuff is mined

Weapon seems pretty cool, a Panic + Chill everything on everyone. Might be fun pairing her with FTakumi and Garon for their AoE damaging effects to get enemies under the HP threshold. I've been building a lot of these GHB units with unique weapons and they're pretty fun to use.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #772 on: October 23, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
Yeah, I built Garon and Takumi too and they're fun to use in Arena Assault. Aversa seems a lot harder to use, but being a flier is so inherently useful that I think it'll more than even out, and her weapon's potential is very high if things line up just right.

Meanwhile I pulled a Loki and I kind of don't like her kit that much on paper. Seems like she'll be great in the arena while she's a focus unit but past that she doesn't seem especially useful in PVE content. Might just fodder her off after her arena period is over, we'll see.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #773 on: October 23, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »
Blue Flame is inheritable, it turns out, and scores the same as Aether. That's kinda crazy. It means the people stuck using Luna for not having enough Def or Res to make use of better specials gets an option, but it's also incredibly good in itself. I don't have anyone to put it on, but I'm sure there are many who'd like it.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #774 on: October 27, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »
So it turns out Aversa is game-breakingly amazing in Grand Conquest. I haven't failed to get maximum points out of a single map since I started using her. With two HP +5s she works on almost everything which can create backbreaking differences in stats between enemies and allies who match the currently boosted movement type. Maybe add Marth for even more stats, although two units occupied by mostly just standing around might become a bit of a problem.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #775 on: October 29, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »
I finished my second +10 unit!

It's um... It's Camilla again.

I do have other merge projects I swear, I just don't have enough copies for any of those. :D

Now what set to make when I inevitably pull more copies of Vanilla Camilla...?

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #776 on: October 29, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
I'm back in here to finally show my +10 Cain!!

I've gave him a lot of things to be honest so I have an alternate build for him:

Mwahahahahha!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #777 on: October 29, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
What's the role for the second build there? It just looks like a pile of random abilities to me but I'm sure I'm missing something.

That first build is pretty goddamn terrifying though.

Edit: I guess the second build makes a lot of sense as an anti-mage, but the Sol and Vantage look out of place to my untrained eye. Horsey Emblem is very foreign to me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:44:23 PM by commandercool »

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #778 on: October 30, 2018, 03:29:18 AM »
Oh second is anti-mage

I forgot to change Sol for Moonbow, so I'm just dumb :V

Edit: Radiant Dawn Banner in January
And Sealed Sword in March

Yeah rip
At least I can start saving in hopes of getting Edward or Lugh
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:30:51 AM by Kogachii ♡ »
Mwahahahahha!

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #779 on: October 30, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »
Dang, poor FE6 fans.

I was busy and fell to T19 this week. Could have got a crown. Really hope they're not going to be that useful. Still didn't even do Aversa yet.

Can't wait for v3.0 to pump some fresh life into the game.