Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone  (Read 200269 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone
« Reply #690 on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:43 AM »
I just spent ten arena crests rerolling and never saw a single opponent higher than 722. What ratings are your units? Are you using all armors? It seems like even under pretty optimal circumstances fliers are still absolutely completely un-viable in Arena, but maybe I'm just not optimizing things right.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #691 on: August 26, 2018, 12:58:39 AM »
No, you should just about have the same score potential as I do, I use Palla (+9), FCorrin (+10), and Titania (+4, HP superboon). They'll all in the 155-159 BST bin. Fliers don't have any movement type BST penalties, so the only one dragging your score down is your mages. But if you use only Summer Camilla (instead of Bun Cam), provided she's not -HP superbane, then NYCamilla's slightly higher BST should balance out.

I do have them decked out in high cost skills for arena though, with the exception of Fury in Titania's A slot because I didn't want to give her my only DC. Alfonse's Swordbreaker also needs to be replaced with Renewal for a little more score. Skill cost might be bringing you down.

Def Feint by the way is pretty useful in Arena, since it's an unconditional debuff and very controllable.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #692 on: August 26, 2018, 01:16:58 AM »
Hmm, not using Water Blessing? Interesting. My score drops down to like 708 max without it.

FWIW right now I'm using +10 Camilla, +7 Camilla, Fjorm, and Alfonse. Yeah, it must be skill costs, I'll have to try reassembling the team around that. Man skill cost-based arena scoring bugs me though, it's such an awkward and feelbad mechanic. Being pigeonholed into running extremely specific bad skills and absolutely nothing else isn't incredibly fun. I'm all for handicaps in arena to force people to change it up, but as those go this isn't one I love working around.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #693 on: August 26, 2018, 04:24:39 AM »
Yeah, I've been ignoring Blessings entirely, but I've been thinking about starting a merge project for one of them since they amp up your score on-season. And I don't have a particularly good project for my orbs atm.

I would be more bothered by the skill restrictions if DC weren't so powerful, winning is so trivial. Well, 'was' trivial. I do have to give IS credit for making Arena challenging again, since it almost feels like the early Arena days where you had to plan a lot of things out and think ahead. It is a little fun, Arena was trivial before. But the bonus unit changes really exacerbate the problems with the score-based system. It narrows down builds even more (to be entirely buff-oriented), completely invalidates over half of your skills (for the most part, the weapon, A skill, B skill, and special for your core team is meaningless), and now forces a certain playstyle (feeding all your kills to the bonus unit). It's conceptually flawed.

I like the addition of Death Blow 4 because it promises a direction where there'll be a lot more options for points. It's no longer just DC. If they don't intend on changing the scoring, then their willingness to add options and increase diversity is a good one. Like, if they add a Shove skill that costs the same as Dual Rallies, that would be incredibly interesting.

But they need to fix that bonus unit change because all that increase in diversity of skills will be meaningless if we can't use them. I can't really come up with a good solution for all this.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #694 on: August 26, 2018, 05:53:00 AM »
The best solution I can come up with is just to have a bunch of different scenarios and apply one or two every arena rotation. Ideally they would be seriously game-changing. Maybe " all units take ten damage every turn" or "everything gets +1 movement" or "all characters have double HP". I don't know if that would really fix it, but ideally it would disrupt people's normal strategies and force them to improve. I don't know.

The important thing is to force people out of ruts and while the current system does technically do that I think it's going to get pretty mind-numbing after months and months of just buffing a single unit and not being able to use most of the tools you could theoretically have available. A good solution would force people to get creative and use way more different abilities, not way fewer.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #695 on: August 27, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
Arena crown Get!
Now I that know it's possible, every other week is going to be pretty hellish. Although, Palla is in the next bonus group so next week at least be no problem at all.

Man, there is no way these crowns won't be used for something.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #696 on: August 27, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »
Congrats!

PAD crowns are only used for the most minor of things (a single extremely, extremely niche item unlock, as far as I know). I'm assuming this will be similar, but I suppose it doesn't have to be.

I meant to go all-in on scoring before the round ended but I didn't get around to working out optimal sets and grinding out wins. Oops. Maybe next time.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #697 on: August 28, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
Oh man, I'm bummed I have to go to work right now and can't just sit down and grind out the Abyssal maps. I've managed to take a good chunk out of Abyssal Robin.

The stats aren't so high that you can't get kills like some people were saying, but you do have to be REALLY careful of positioning. I feel like I made a lot of progress in a few runs this morning so I'm looking forward to working on it more later.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #698 on: August 28, 2018, 06:02:54 PM »
I did manage to beat Robin's map. It was kind of an interesting dynamic where once you got some momentum going with your strategy, the rest was up to fine-tuning it to survive the next turn with small changes in positioning or skills and what not. Spurs and Drives in my case.

The random Berkut's Lance Florina I built before handled Robin like a champ.

Marth's I'm finding more difficult on account of the reinforcements spawning immediately behind you and also since I'm using FCorrin, a dragon. And I'm still on Infernal too, haha.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #699 on: August 29, 2018, 05:14:42 AM »

AAAAAAAH

I won't lie, this took me A TON of tries. And man am I glad it did, puzzling this out may have been the most fun I've ever had playing this game. This is why I love Fire Emblem. Super tough but super fair. More plz.

(And I didn't get around to trying Marth at all, so there is more! Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.)

MVP was definitely Galeforce on Camilla btw. I don't know how I could have done this without her killing two enemies a turn.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #700 on: August 29, 2018, 11:04:55 PM »
woo, finished Abyssal Marth too! It took a lot of feathers to get Inigo a Gronnraven+, Brave Lyn a Brave Bow+, among a couple other lesser skills here and there, but it did happen. To tell the truth, I cheated a little and referenced the team composition of someone else's clear video, but I didn't look much further past the who in the team.

On another note, this is the first hard-content map that I cleared without my high-merge units, kind of an interesting feeling.

Also, I played around with using Ishtar first, who sadly didn't make it in the winning team (that goes to Reinhardt), but it's surprising how good a simple Darting Blow--and a cd reduction too I guess--effect can be on a weapon. I like her. I'd merge her but I don't know where I'd put her. Also she has some good skills, even if my ultimate evaluation of the Wave skills is low.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #701 on: August 30, 2018, 12:05:16 AM »
How did you find Gronnraven Inigo to be? He was super hyped for a hot second there but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I never found him to be especially useful, his stats are so low that he has a hard time countering even blue and colorless units.

I cleared Marth on Infernal and it was pretty tricky. Haven't sat down to try Abyss yet but I'm not suuure using the same team that took me quite a few tries to get through Infernal is really going to cut it. Might need to change things up more than usual, we'll see.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #702 on: August 30, 2018, 12:11:13 AM »
I was using a TA Gronnraven build with Bowbreaker, also Distant Defense. He was getting a couple buffs, but he was handling all of them just fine for me. His own decline probably has a lot to do with the decline of ReinLyn and dancers in general in the arena.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #703 on: August 30, 2018, 04:36:05 AM »
Just spent a good half hour or so doing attempts on Marth, and yeah, seems pretty tricky. I can get down to the last handful of enemies but they travel in a big pack that makes picking off any one or two of them impossible. It's much harder or impossible to bait the cleric here unlike with Robin, and Marth himself seems drastically more powerful than Robin was. I've pretty much only tried iterations of the same strategy though, so next time I get the chance I'll try switching up my team a bit more.

Edit:

Got 'em!

The trick ended up being that
Spoiler:
the mob of enemies who hang out around Marth and move around the map as a big ball with him have a lot of Rally skills to pay off his abilities. If you can survive the first few waves of reinforcements, keep a high-Res unit in the lower right corner below the wall to bait a mage. The Rally units will stop to buff it which breaks up Marth's posse and takes him from being virtually invincible to pretty easy without his buffs and backup.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:58:55 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #704 on: September 02, 2018, 05:38:28 AM »
So during this Grand Conquest I've been noticing that an incredibly high number of FEH players are named "Kiran". What's the significance to that name?

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #705 on: September 02, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »
So during this Grand Conquest I've been noticing that an incredibly high number of FEH players are named "Kiran". What's the significance to that name?
It's the default name brah :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #706 on: September 02, 2018, 08:32:23 AM »
Ooooh it is? That explains it then.  :D

AzyWng

• "I was a dumb American in a place where dumb Americans were less popular than the clap."
  • "So this was it. My easy retirement."
« Reply #707 on: September 02, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »
Mhm.. Either they wanna adhere to "canon", or they're not terribly creative.

I'm not gonna go to the trouble of trying to figure out which is which.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #708 on: September 03, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
Alright, I finally got around to making a team for the current arena and ground out some wins. It's a different style of gameplay that I didn't hate. Might be a biiiit tricky without a monstrously OP unit as the centerpiece like one of the new brave heroes, but I'll see what I can do about minmaxing my score for next week and trying to break into tier 21. Or at least stay in tier 20. Maybe.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #709 on: September 06, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
I was gonna roll for Lewyn to get his Special Spiral to give to someone in the future, but the Fury banner was treating me so well I went all in on it. In 200 orbs, three Myrrhs, one with perfect IVs, and an OG Hector 'pitybreaker'. It's like the game wants me to build a Myrrh. That suits me, I kinda wanted to have a +10 5-star exclusive project. Also got three more Titania merges, which let me see a 738 once in the Arena, that was pretty crazy.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #710 on: September 06, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
Oooh wow yeah I've never seen anywhere near that high.

The game won't give me any more merge fodder for the projects I'm working on (second Camilla, FCorrin, Beruka) and I have 100k feathers just sitting around as a result. I guess I should start another project just to use them while I wait. Do you think Olivia is practical to +10 or would her rating still be too low?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:39 PM »
Olivia would only score the same as a non-prf ranged unit, which wouldn't be that great.

Gamepedia recently released a scoring tier list that orders each unit according to their scoring potential. You'd want something that's at least 73 placement or above. I don't know how it calculates out, but that should be a score of 742.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
I was gonna roll for Lewyn to get his Special Spiral to give to someone in the future, but the Fury banner was treating me so well I went all in on it. In 200 orbs, three Myrrhs, one with perfect IVs, and an OG Hector 'pitybreaker'. It's like the game wants me to build a Myrrh. That suits me, I kinda wanted to have a +10 5-star exclusive project. Also got three more Titania merges, which let me see a 738 once in the Arena, that was pretty crazy.
My dream is to get Myrrh someday

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #713 on: September 07, 2018, 02:01:55 AM »
I gotten Myrrh from a free roll on the Fury banner and Dancer Xander on the Hoshido dance banner :feelsgoodman:
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #714 on: September 09, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »

Got her  BV

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #715 on: September 09, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »

Aaaaah what's happening to my heroooooes?!

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #716 on: September 10, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
--- Summoner's Log, Entry #1 ---

Today I went into the illusory dungeon, to perform dances against my will. But instead of getting an orb in compensation, it was a Peach Ducky.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #717 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:50 PM »
Has anyone tried the later Relay Defenses yet? They're completely bonkers and have enemy stats FAR higher than anything we've ever seen before. Which I don't necessarily have a problem with, it's going to be an interesting puzzle to solve, but it sure is unexpected...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #718 on: September 12, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
Man, Marth with refined Falchion is incredibly good and seems like a perfect fit for the new arena, but why is his BST so low? Mine is +3 with minmaxed abilities and his rating is still abysmal...

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2018, 03:16:13 AM »
Oh hey, they finally added the other maid.