Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone  (Read 202955 times)

Re: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone
« Reply #630 on: July 11, 2018, 03:50:28 AM »
New Calendar July-August

ps: I need Takumi Skadi

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #631 on: July 12, 2018, 03:38:56 AM »
Ok wow these tactics challenges, I am like actually legitimately stuck, currently on grandmaster 3. I'm going to have to come back to these because I'm getting frustrated. These maps are very, very finely tuned.
Of the ones I've played so far, that Escape Route map was actually really fun to figure out. Some of these are really counter intuitive though.

Christ you're not kidding, Grandmaster 3 took me *forever*. I had the right idea, I just kept making small positioning mistakes and psyched myself out into thinking there was some weird alternate strategy. There are some sneaky red herrings in there for sure.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #632 on: July 13, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »
There's a pretty insane bug that's been discovered in the game, where if you hit Restart on a 0 stamina mission that gives SP (so not Rival Domains), then your SP gains per kill double each time. So you can literally get like 192 SP per kill right now with like 4-5 Restarts, it's insane. It's probably going to be patched out asap so if it's something that you feel like abusing, then there's no juicier temptation. (Also worth noting that this bug was supposedly introduced in the summer 2 banner patch, which included, besides the Restart function, Camilla. You know, the big sister of SP farming. Big sister's always looking out for us.)

edit: apparently the gains reset over 1000, so 768 SP per kill is the max you can aim for. So that's 6 Restarts for a unit with a Blessing + weekend bonus. Then again, we saw IS cracking down on some orb exploit over in the Japanlands, so is it worth abusing this? Idk, we'll see what their response is I guess. This is definitely a miss on their end after all, compared to the orb thing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:17:48 AM by Mеа »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #633 on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
I don't think they can really "crack down" on it in a feasible way. Hmm.

Meanwhile I've been pity broken by Ishtar, Summer Tana, Sanaki and Nephenee. All I wanted was Summer Cordelia but I guess I'll take em.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #634 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »
An IS representative said they won't be punishing users for using the bug or reverting any SP gained this way, so feel free to take advantage of this while it's up.

edit:
I'm so happy that the Flashing Blade seal is a thing, it's such a godsend. I've been wanting it for FCorrin since literally forever, I can finally dump that Heavy Blade and use something that really works.

If FCorrin can double, that's a Sol in every battle. Replace Sol with Bonfire and that's a Wrath Bonfire flying in your face in every battle. Damn this is scary, feels good to be too good. Also this finally sets her apart from the likes of FGrima and Floatie Tiki since they can't run Flashing Blade, ha ha!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:33:55 AM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #635 on: July 16, 2018, 02:43:34 AM »
I wonder what the break point is where it's more correct to use Flashing Blade over Heavy Blade for characters who have high ATK and SPD. I guess it probably depends on the kinds of matchups you want to trigger your specials on more reliably more than anything else, but I'm inclined to guess that Flashing Blade is probably much better overall because it's so good against armors and armors are so common. You wouldn't even necessarily need incredible speed to get a lot of use out of it. Units with very low speed are common, units with very low attack are not.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #636 on: July 16, 2018, 06:04:02 AM »
I used Heavy Blade previously on her previously, having to pay attention to enemy Atk values, so I might have some thoughts on the matter. I'd say 58ish Atk is a good threshold to start using Heavy Blade. A lot of the roster tends to settle for Atk values below this. There are units that opt to reach above 60, even into the high 60s, but these are those units that invest heavily into Atk (Soleil, Ephraims, MGrima, etc). And 58 Atk I'd say is about the equivalent of 44ish Spd, where you're likely to be faster than a lot of units but will lose out to units that invest heavily into Spd (Myrmidons, Life and Death units, etc).

So, Heavy Blade: > ~58 Atk; Flashing Blade: > ~44 Spd

If a unit meets both these thresholds, then I guess yeah matchups or whichever is more greater from the threshold I came up with. If I say that the average weapon is about 14 Mt, then 58-14=44 raw Atk, so it seems that 44 is about the magic number to hit.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #637 on: July 16, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »
Oh oops, I didn't realize Flashing Blade was infantry and armor locked for some reason. Well, I guess I know which one I'll be running on Camilla by default.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #638 on: July 18, 2018, 04:41:50 AM »
mmmgoddammit, I really want to use Clarisse now that I now what her story is. Personality-wise, she's the one I've been looking for (although I wish her art was better). I've already gotten Setsuna to +4 now and fed her expensive skills but well... I might have been a little hasty. I guess I'll start storing feathers and skills for her eventual inclusion on my team. She's exactly a +atk -res Setsuna so the transition will be relatively seemless once I get her going. I'll hold off on it until we start getting more GHB merges though.

Which I hope they address soon? How about in the next FEH channel, there's gonna be one on the 19th.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
Alright, new Feh Channel is up.

-The new banner has four new characters which is great (including the Walhart GHB), and the one repeat is probably technically the best dancer in the game. Although in practice I think Music Festival Azura probably still keeps her crown because I assume her BST is higher.

-We're getting Black Knight and some other Tempest Trial exclusives back.

-The new Grand Conquest changes all seem good, getting rewarded for being active makes sense.

-Weapon refines for the starter characters! None of them seem great, but they'll help.

-The arena is getting several changes that don't seem like they fix it necessarily, but they probably won't hurt. Curious to see how much they end up shaking things up.

-There's a new event called Forging Bonds that seems like it's sort of support conversation-themed where one of the available prizes is dialogue scenes with the featured characters. That's kinda neat. I would especially like to see a Forging Bonds for the Heroes-exclusive characters.

Edit: Regarding the new chapter of the story, who do we think is
Spoiler:
Loki? Hrid or Ylgr? All signs point to Hrid, but Ylgr would be more shocking, not only to the heroes but Helbindi as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:17:31 PM by commandercool »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »
Edit: Regarding the new chapter of the story, who do we think is
Spoiler:
Loki? Hrid or Ylgr? All signs point to Hrid, but Ylgr would be more shocking, not only to the heroes but Helbindi as well.

It's virtually confirmed already that
Spoiler:
the traitor
is
Spoiler:
Ylgr. It's kinda suggestive of that when you read 11-5, and Ylgr mysteriously knows the summoner's name when she joins you on chapter 9.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #641 on: July 20, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
There's alway a chance that
Spoiler:
G-g-g-ghooost G-g-g-gunnthra
is involved somehow and is feeding information to someone, but yeah, that seems most likely.

If that's the case then was the
Spoiler:
Zacharias that Hrid met real? Or was he also Loki/an illusion/someone else?

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2018, 05:42:45 PM »
There's alway a chance that
Spoiler:
G-g-g-ghooost G-g-g-gunnthra
is involved somehow and is feeding information to someone, but yeah, that seems most likely.

If that's the case then was the
Spoiler:
Zacharias that Hrid met real? Or was he also Loki/an illusion/someone else?

Spoiler:
IS involved Zacharias for two reasons probably: the fans in the subreddit were wondering what happened with the guy, and they wanted a red herring for when the Askr gang wondered "why they knew where we were heading". I'm sure Hrid really met Zach.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:44:17 PM by BT »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #643 on: July 22, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
I seem to be on a one chapter every two months schedule or something now, picked up my last save and beat chapter 26 of Conquest. (Took a peek at chapter 27 and ha ha what the hell is this)

Spoiler:
A lot of bait and plugging, this chapter. Some miracle of team composition let me have two non-horse physical tanks and two any magic tanks (relatively speaking). I broke down the doors, then plugged up the gap with the respective tank units. It always felt like I was tight on space, especially when you bait out the line of 4 generals in the bottom room and mages spawn behind your army and you get forced into the east room in a pincer attack. But for some reason it didn't feel as claustrophobic as the ninja hell map. Countermagic is probably my most annoying skill to face and the skill that contributed the most to my reset counter. Usually in the early runs when you're not reading skills, later when I get tired and stop thinking about how Flame Shurikens and Dragonstones are magic damage. Lots of small mistakes here and there caused resets until in the final run you get it all sorted out and make no mistakes.

The run got significantly easier when I read and found out that Iago uses his staves in order, so Enfeeble on turn 1, Freeze on turn 2, Silence on turn 3, Hexing on turn 4, and so on, cycling every turn (and not every use). Not having to worry about the random Hexings ruining a character lifted a lot of the stress. Since you could predict when the Hexing was going to come (every multiple of 4th turns), you could time your attacks on the rooms to give yourself a 4 turn timer of sorts to get out of the corridors and into the rooms for safety. Iago's a pretty nice fellow for not arranging his Freeze staff right before his Hexing. That would have been a lot worse. I think Azura was the only one hexed on the successful run.

So my path was clockwise, taking the east room, then the south room, then killing Iago. I really wanted the Spy Shuriken so I had to come up with some silly way for me to get it. Really silly. Since everything else was cleared up, I aggro'd the guys in the west room from the SW corner and had them all huddle up and follow me around the map counterclockwise. Not really even bothering to kill them since most of my army is max level now, just running away. When I reached the west room again, I grabbed the chest and then made the final turn into the south room to make a mad dash for the seize tile.

I don't know how the guys in the west room are aggro'd though. You can safely enter into the stationary attack zone of the 2 Stoneborns at the top of the room without triggering them. I found a good tip to use Flora's Icy Blood to kill them off where I could early on. I tried doing that below, but they got aggro'd before I could try after I killed the maid and faceless in the SW room, and the reinforcements spawned. I think it's some combination of breaking one of the room doors (SW-South room door in this case) and then entering their attack range? Getting warped into the SW room by the Entrap maid doesn't trigger reinforcements, so.

But I got my Spy Shuriken so whatever. I was thinking that it would come in handy to attack from a safer distance in the room-and-corridor style of map design I've been seeing, but then this happens, chapter 27. Haven't tried it yet but it seems all of silliness. And speaking of silly, I apparently missed a Rescue staff in one of the previous chapters since I only have one. Must have been from one of the earlier maps when I was still fumbling about since I've tried to super clear the later maps. Or I might have used it somewhere, don't know where. Hopefully 2 charges is all I need, if I need it at all.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »
Fair warning on chapter 27. This is a small but important mechanical spoiler so don't read it if you really don't want to be spoiled, but it might save you a lot of grief.

Spoiler:
For some insane reason you can't save between chapter 27 and the endgame. And the endgame is nightmarishly difficult, so you WILL die and end up back at the beginning of 27. Probably at least a few time, maybe many depending on how you feel about most of your characters dying.

Fortunately 27 is mostly bark and less bite. All of the teleporters will actually tend to warp your units into decent matchups, so you shouldn't be completely overwhelmed by that mechanic. 27 is really a matter of figuring out how to clear it consistently and safely while using as few items as possible, because you may have to do it quite a bit...

And needless to say, you won't get another chance at any overworld stuff so that if you've been putting off paralogues or anything do them now. And good luck. The hardest part is arguably over, but that really depends on how you plan to go about the endgame.

Edit: After blowing like a hundred orbs and failing to get her on the Legendary Hector banner, I accidentally Elise from her banner.

Luckyyyy. Especially since there were so many colorless orbs. She just couldn't resist all of that big sister magnetism any more.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:08:44 PM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #645 on: July 22, 2018, 07:35:42 PM »
Oh right, I heard about that. Good design, that. If it makes endgame less of a nightmare then I guess I'll take it
Spoiler:
(can't save->less difficult(?))
. Hm but that also means all my tonics are going to run out so I guess I'll save their use until then then. I was so used to seeing
Spoiler:
infinite staff works that I was surprised when they all blew their use in turn 1
, this first part at least doesn't seem that bad(?).

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #646 on: July 22, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »
Maybe this is just emblematic of my lack of creativity in sets or maybe with the weird place clerics occupy in Heroes right now, but I need more copies of the Savage Blow seal. Dazzling Gravity Genny with double Savage Blow is by far my all-time MVP, at least in PVE, and I'm trying to build the Wrathful Pain+Vantage+Miracle build for Elise and I just don't have enough Savage Blows to go around. Genny is more of a slow-paced unit so I'm hoping she can get away with one Savage Blow+one Breath of Life, since the Pain Vantage build really doesn't work without as much splash damage as possible.

Oh right, I heard about that. Good design, that. If it makes endgame less of a nightmare then I guess I'll take it
Spoiler:
(can't save->less difficult(?))
. Hm but that also means all my tonics are going to run out so I guess I'll save their use until then then. I was so used to seeing
Spoiler:
infinite staff works that I was surprised when they all blew their use in turn 1
, this first part at least doesn't seem that bad(?).

Spoiler:
27 is honestly not bad. As for the endgame, you would think not being able to save would make it easier, wouldn't you? I guess we'll never know how hard it would be if you could save, but it's a real 11/10 for difficulty IMO. There are a few very specific ways to cheese it, but for the most part it's just ludicrously unfair.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #647 on: July 24, 2018, 06:28:31 AM »
Ok, so lunatic conquest, finally beat it. Cheers to a successful blind run of my first fire emblem game.

Spoiler:
Ohhh my goood that was soo exhausting... I guess this was my first real attempt at it too, but second try? After I figured out what all the gimmicks were on my first attempt I made a detour outside to do invasion 3 to get some kinshi knight Amaterasu's for healing. Had to grind Soleil up 4 levels for that, and luckily I finished Azura's S support just in time there to get access to Shigure, another Kinshi Knight that came with Amaterasu for free. With the two pseudo-healers in tow, I went off to attempt the endgame again.

Yeah chapter 27 is a breeze. Just had to keep resetting until the Entraps warped you in a good way, but I think it settled into a pattern if you kept up the same movements each time.

Endgame though, ho boy. It took me like the entire day of picking it up for 20min to an hour at a time, just doing like 2 or 3 turns and then setting it down to cool off my smoking headbrain. Like there was very little wiggle room to screw around, you had to be on top of things. Demanding optimal moves, each turn. Just constantly, wave after waves of enemies just barely lower than the number of your army. Attack stance the whole way through, getting as many orko's as possible, leaving only about 2 or 3 enemies you could afford to 2rko. Very exhausting.

I don't know if I could have done it any other way except constantly moving forward, "riding" the waves of reinforcements forward. Being too defensive would have eventually made me run out of dragon veins and get overrun by enemies. There was a point where things got really chaotic, that would have been right in front of the 4 maids. Xander missed a kill and got crit-ed to death and really screwed things over, that sucked. Big, big wrench, that. I had to quickly kill the maids and then rush everyone forward at that point. So some things went poorly but the boss fight went very smoothly. Although I did only barely kill him with Takumi not activating Vengeance on Corrin at all and Corrin activating Dragon Fang twice (auto proc?). It was kill or be killed since that Corrin attack was my last action for the turn and there were a lot of enemies behind me. Honestly it would have been a lot less stressful and easier if I had properly read the Lifetaker skill and realized that it only activates if he initiated, I would have suicided my units for damage. But I didn't because I didn't know. So for better or worse, I think only 4 of my units died: Xander, then Beruka (I don't remember how this happened), Felicia (no safe spaces left to run at the end) and Midori (probably didn't need to happen, but she stayed behind to be a decoy at the end to get a Wyrmslayer horse away from the rest of the army). My only deaths of the entire run.

But whew, that's over. Lunatic conquest. If I play the other two, I'm going to play on Normal. But you know, the levels were very well designed, the difficulty was perfect (not that I'd want to ever do this or ninja hell again). I mean, I would have cried if I died at the end there, but my overall experience was very good. So much better than Awakening imo. It says something that I hated Invasion 3 more than this Endgame chapter and the opinion I had of that was how it was like Awakening level design--have all enemies on the map walk towards your army. Hate that. Conquest felt like there was a clever solution hidden and not reliant on bludgeoning your way through on numbers and luck. I enjoyed it, good game. Probably won't do it again though.

To finish, I think I'll do a top 5 or whatever for the maps that were the hardest or most annoying for me, based on what I remember for the earlier ones (I think I started like 2 years ago? lol).

Chapter 8, Ice village map. Thief made it very stressful.
Chapter 10, port defense. I don't think I need to elaborate here. First taste of Conquest hell.
Chapter 11, Hinoka rooms. First encounter with Hexing was an experience all right. Lunge ninja room was also annoying, as was the penultimate room.
Chapter 14, water logs. Kinshi knights were terrifying when you're trapped on a narrow line of tiles. It was also a long map, probably one of the first of them.
Chapter 17, ninja. hell. Claustrophobic, very long, Life and Death samurais, and an extremely scary boss room.
Chapter 22, Sakura labyrinth. This is the map that caused my half year long hiatus. Split armies suck.
Chapter 23, great wall of Takumi. Probably the map that caused me the most resets trying to figure out how the hell Hinata's AI works. Such a long map too with so many pairs of powerful Master of Arms with a mix of all three colors, rallies, ranges, -catcher and physical/magical weapons. Baiting while retreating, whittling them down a little at a time contributed to making this a very, very long, grindy chapter. Going forth to aggro/spawn new enemies while back again to whittle bait them down. So annoying. Up the wall had lunge shenanigans too, with  assholes sitting on the stairs to prevent passage. Not a huge factor, but there were ballistas too. All on one map.
And Endgame. Of course.

edit: looking back, searching through the original Fates topic, it seems I picked up my copy sometime around before July 14, 2016, making this run a little over 2 years long. Nice.
edit 2: found this
I'm going to be honest here and say I don't think you're going to clear Lunatic on the first go. Not having the game already roughly mapped out is going to make planning your route too sketchy.
my smuggest face on my face
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:53:33 AM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #648 on: July 24, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
Ooh, congratulations!

For what it's worth, there's no reason not to play Birthright and Revelations on Lunatic. Birthright is so easy that you pretty much have to if you want to be engaged at all (unless you reeeeally like the Hoshido cast I guess. I did not.). Revelations is definitely harder than Birthright by a lot but gives you so many resources that it's basically a victory lap no matter what difficulty you pick.

I've been meaning to pick Fates back up forever so I can play the DLC now that it's all out, but I always have another game to play.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #649 on: July 28, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »
Ooh, the new update is finally adding a skill set option so now you can have characters automatically equip different skills on different teams. This could change a lot of stuff, especially if seals are part of it. That's one of the biggest things I been hoping to see. I may merge my two Easter Camilla sets now...

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #650 on: July 29, 2018, 08:14:16 AM »
Walhart's GHB took me a couple tries. Took it on from the left side since staying in the middle got me sandwiched from every direction. Difficult, but not bad. I'd put it somewhere around Lyon difficulty.

Didn't know he came with Chill Def either, that's really cool. I don't have any use, or space, for it in my main team but I can see it having good use on some other ones.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #651 on: July 29, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »
Walhart's GHB took me a couple tries. Took it on from the left side since staying in the middle got me sandwiched from every direction. Difficult, but not bad. I'd put it somewhere around Lyon difficulty.
I used horse emblem. You can actually outmaneuver a lot of the enemies and kinda outlast them towards the end.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #652 on: July 29, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »
Camilla Emblem managed with some mild difficulty. Took a couple of tries, seemed pretty balanced and fun. Good fight.

Meanwhile I've been having a hell of a time with the Infernal tactics drills. Fuuuuck they're hard. I feel like I need to take notes to have a chance of keeping track of what's going on.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #653 on: July 29, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »
Meanwhile I've been having a hell of a time with the Infernal tactics drills. Fuuuuck they're hard. I feel like I need to take notes to have a chance of keeping track of what's going on.
I realized at some point that I'm not having fun. If you reach that point, tutorials are always there for you, waiting.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #654 on: July 29, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Yup, I've definitely gone to them for hints. If I get stumped I'll generally look at the first two turns worth of moves and sometimes it confirms that I'm on the right track and other times I'm completely and utterly off.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #655 on: July 30, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »
Oh dang, Legendary Lucina's active skill isn't inheritable, is it? I assume it isn't given the name but I don't think we've ever seen a character-exclusive active before. We'll, that's one way to make people play actives other than Reposition...

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #656 on: July 30, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
Oh dang, Legendary Lucina's active skill isn't inheritable, is it? I assume it isn't given the name but I don't think we've ever seen a character-exclusive active before. We'll, that's one way to make people play actives other than Reposition...
It's a reposition you do on yourself! Too bad she's ranged, imagine pairing up with Galeforce.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #657 on: July 30, 2018, 04:05:34 PM »
Oh dang, Legendary Lucina's active skill isn't inheritable, is it? I assume it isn't given the name but I don't think we've ever seen a character-exclusive active before.
Micaiah's Sacrifice is a thing so it's not without precedence. I like the idea of prf assists, it's the most uninnovated skill slot and I would like to see them give characters that don't need prf refines (yet) be given stuff like this.
People seem to be overreacting to her assist but that's probably the salt talking. She's the perfect foil to the Floatie Tiki salt though lol, I called that one.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #658 on: July 30, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
Ooh, I didn't know about Micaiah. I guess it is precedented.

Yeah, I would love to see a ton more of this. You could slap that rider on just about anything, and probably should as long as the unit with the ability is balanced for it and it isn't inheritable. You could even put it on Reposition if it's unique to a suitably mediocre unit. And hell, just buff Harsh Command to always work that way.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #659 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
Micky's wasn't inheritable and I doubt this one will be! I'm still waiting for an inheritable, high SP assist skill though, we're long overdue.