Author Topic: Fire Emblem Heroes - hats for everyone  (Read 199878 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
The Blarserpent animation is pretty funny. Turn on your animations and check it out. Sproing!
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
My logic here was, how high can I get FCorrin's speed up?

Ideally, Atk Smoke would go in the C slot and I'd use Guard as a seal if it ever comes out. Savage Blow is just for the lols. Swift Sparrow would be better too, but those are rare.
I'd say Light Breath is preferable over Dark Breath when using Windsweep so that your C-slot and Seal slot don't go to "waste", in a way.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
I really need to invest more in my FCorrin. She needs a real Quick Riposte instead of Bowbreaker. It's too bad my Distant Defense seal is permanently tied up in my defense team. But FCorrin just made Infernal Zephiel pretty easy with the help of Genny, the eternal queen of PVE. FCorrin is just a really nice problem solver that's good to have laying around.

Mea, do you have thoughts on an ideal special for her? Mine has Ignis which is really handy for one-shotting things that she would otherwise lose to, but I wonder if Aether wouldn't be better. I'm kind of short on Aether fodder though since I don't do a ton of red pulls and it's a high-demand skill.

Mеа

• catnapping
I wouldn't use Aether on her unless I was using it with Steady/Warding Breath. Not only does it not come around enough without it, her attack is too low to get good damage+healing from it, which makes two strikes against it for being a very viable sustain option.

I think I was using Warding Breath + Wrath + Aether when I did the new Chain Challenges 4+5? That worked well, and Wrath helps a lot in general on her. (Although using Aether when you brought a healer is kinda pointless).  The neat thing about her compared to other dragons is you can eventually decide to ditch the Quick Riposte for something else once you invest in speed enough. Sure, you don't get doubles on like the highest of speed people, but throw a Drive Spd on someone and she probably won't be getting doubled either. My philosophy for her being, she lives if she doesn't get doubled.

I have Wrath usually in my B slot, meaning I can get to Ignis fairly reliably and start killing things with it I would otherwise have no business killing. It's a bit overkill at times so I can see Bonfire also working well. But I like the big numbers and Wrath lets you stall around for charges if you had to anyway. Without Wrath, I think Bonfire would be better to clutch more of her neutral matchups quickly.

It might be fine for her not to have Distant Defense. I'm starting to move away from her DC builds, trying to experiment, and I think it plays to her strengths more. I'll probably keep the DC in arena because of the immediacy it brings in countering ranged (and the points), but I don't think she needs it outside the arena, if even in the arena if you play well.

commandercool

• alter cool
Has anyone cleared Infernal Xander with calvary? My horsie collection isn't the most robust but I can't figure out how to even attempt it. That Gronnwolf mage is really making things difficult. He can attack any square that you try to enter to reach any other unit, can't be attacked because he's too far away, none of my characters can kill him with a counterattack, and apparently he one-shots Gunnthra while debuffed despite her special bulk.

Mеа

• catnapping
Would Grani's shield help there?

Edit: heheh, it's only on Camus? that's funny and stupid
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:01:42 PM by Mеа »

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
What units are you using? It's been a while since I did it, but after trying and failing to let Xander tank the mages, I had my gronnblade lancebreaker cecilia open by killing the healer and blocking the lance, in the spot where no one else could hit her. Then everyone rushed forward and it was easier from there since I didn't need to take a hit from two mages.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:07:19 PM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

commandercool

• alter cool
I don't have a ton of options, but I've been trying different combinations of the following:

Sigurd
Roderick
Mathilda
Legendary Ephraim
Reinhardt
Olwen
Gunnthra
Brave Lyn

They're all 5* and are all more or less just completed versions of their default sets, none of them have different weapons or significantly different roles or anything. The only other completed 5* horse I have is Siegbert, but he's also got his default set so Attack Tactic is wasted in this case.

Mеа

• catnapping
I just completed it, Conq's strategy in starting from the left was super helpful to me. Although, instead of taking out the cleric, I took off the Solar Brace from LEphraim and stood right in front of the Blue Lance to tank a hit from that (and counterkill) and the Cleric to drop me to half health. Xander moves forward, as did the Gronnwolf, but the Green Mage went right for some reason. I only had an Olwen, but a Swordbreaker helped me ORKO Xander, after which I WoM'd the Gronnwolf with Siegbert (I was expecting the green mage to go left, which is why I had WoM on Siegbert and took off the Solar Brace in the first place, but it went right so strictly speaking I didn't really need to do all that I guess). I heal up Olwen back into Swordbreaker range with Elise and had her tank a hit from the Red Sword, who died next turn from Olwen. Siegbert kills the Green Mage, and I heal L'Ephraim to survive one more round vs the Cleric, then go up and kill her next turn.

LEphraim had Ward, Bonfire and Distant Defense, Elise had Hone, and Siegbert had Fortify Horses.

commandercool

• alter cool
I think my armor and cavalry are just too underdeveloped for infernal content for the most part. I have gotten a handful of cavalry clears and I think a single armor one, but the lack of recovery and flexibility are a problem. If I can ever manage to pick up Elise she should help a lot, or maybe I'll eventually promote Priscilla or something if I have to. And I'm sure an Armor March will fall into my lap eventually given how many things it's been on lately.

I don't really feel like investing in either team, all of my feathers are tied up on arena minmaxing right now. But a year is a long time, odds are the infernal challenges will just get power crept into oblivion by the time that quest ends.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
The Xander Infernal Cavalry quest is super hard so it could be just that as well. I think your 5* cav pool is probably good enough to pull it off, but you'll need to mess around with the right opening move for your team, which is the hardest part. Imo once you figure out how to counterkill the green mages or avoid them, the rest is fairly straightforward. I remember running swordbreaker Reinhardt similar to what Mea did, because otherwise Reinhardt doesn't kill Xander.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Mеа

• catnapping
I really don't think I needed Elise for this one. Start by sending LEphraim to kill the people on the left, have Swordbreaker Rein/Olwen kill Xander when he comes down and send Sigurd up to kill the green mages. That should work I would think.

commandercool

• alter cool
Fair enough, I'm not necessarily just talking about Xander, more than Infernal quests in general, but I'll give Xander another shot with that strategy in mind when he rolls back around.

Edit: Calvary Narcian was pretty easy and it seems like armor is probably trivial once I get Aether on Fell Robin. I don't know when I'll get around to doing that, but probably at some point.

Edit edit: Got the Narcian armor clear by shuffling around my seals a bunch and putting Noontime on Fell Robin as a weird half measure

So that's most of the easy ones down. I've still got Robin, Ursula and Xander left to do with armor and cavalry, and Lloyd and Michalis left for just armor. Maybe minmaxing Fell Robin will be enough to get those armor clears.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:00:09 PM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
So, I was of the opinion that Dark Breath was better than Light Breath, but I'm starting to really like the latter a lot more. The difference in bulk after the buff/debuffs are applied are only marginally worse on Light Breath (ie: +5 to your def/res as opposed to -7 to foe's atk), but all your stats are buffed with Light Breath. This means better atk for harder retaliation and the boost to def/res can give some extra points of damage to specials like Bonfire. And I used to think that using it like a team buffing tool was really unreliable, but it's actually surprisingly handy--especially when you have a team full of melee units that tend to stick close together to reposition each other in and out of combat, a lot of your teammates tend to get the +5 to everything buffs.

And what I like the most is that your C slot doesn't "go to waste" so to speak with Light Breath. If you load in an Atk Smoke there, you have an effective +12 to your bulk against surrounding enemies, it's awesome. I need to pull a BLyn to get one since I don't have it yet--I'm stuck with using the Atk Smoke seal currently, but when I get her eventually, then you can run something really disgusting in the S slot, like Close Defense, giving you something like +18 bulk potentially against some opponents.

commandercool

• alter cool
Yeah, having only used Light Breath very minimally on Ninian the two-square range for the ally buff seems extremely generous. It has the same basic "if you get this off in a favorable situation then you win instantly" thing going that Dark Breath does, but you're more in control of when you get a good hit with it. And on Ninian you have the tension between spending her turn buffing people or dancing, which Corrin doesn't have. I think Light Breath makes a lot of sense unless you want to try some Gunnthra shenanigans. Which admittedly might be pretty fun.

Mеа

• catnapping
Gunnthra seems more interesting than I originally gave her credit for, that Chilling Seal is powerful stuff. I realized this when everyone but Corrin got hit with it once, that was pretty hilarious. I gave Harsh Command to Hinoka after that since her Spear lets allies warp towards her so she actually works pretty well even without Reposition.

The thing to worry about with Light Breath is going up against armor teams running lots of Panic Ploy. I took off Savage Blow since I thought it wasn't being helpful, but thinking over it, Savage Blow may have been an unconscious streak of genius. Savage Blow knocks everyone's HP down by 7 to a very reasonable amount. This is helpful when the Panic Ploy person is behind the unit you're currently attacking. Most of the high HP armors all have prf weapons, meaning they don't get the +5 HP from weapon refinements, leaving most of them no higher than the low 50s at most. When Corrin can reach 47 with refinement at neutral and they get knocked down to sub-45ish, I'm safe. I'll have to test it out to see how useful it actually is.

commandercool

• alter cool
Got the armor clear on Ursula, although I'm not sure how I would even go about trying it with a calvary team. Armor is a lot easier, at least for someone with an underdeveloped collection because distant counter is so common and bulk is so good that sometimes that's enough.

I don't really know what the equivalent to that is with horses, Xander I guess, but I can't imagine he's happy to take hits from Ursula. And I don't have a 5* of him right now. I guess Cecilia could probably deal with Ursula's stage pretty easily? I don't have a 5* of her either but I pulled about a million 4*s of her in the last month, I guess I should have made a +10 4*.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Got the armor clear on Ursula, although I'm not sure how I would even go about trying it with a calvary team. Armor is a lot easier, at least for someone with an underdeveloped collection because distant counter is so common and bulk is so good that sometimes that's enough.

I don't really know what the equivalent to that is with horses, Xander I guess, but I can't imagine he's happy to take hits from Ursula. And I don't have a 5* of him right now. I guess Cecilia could probably deal with Ursula's stage pretty easily? I don't have a 5* of her either but I pulled about a million 4*s of her in the last month, I guess I should have made a +10 4*.
The horsie challenge for Ursula, huh? Yeah, that one's a hard one, but fortunately Xander's perfect for handling the ninjas. There's a secret to that map that if you don't break the rubble with a ranged ally, the enemies position themselves really well. Don't know how to explain it. But if you haven't, tried it out, play around with positioning your units and breaking / not breaking the rubble.

commandercool

• alter cool
I've been seeing a lot (relatively) of Beruka in arena lately, and she is monstrous. I saw a highly invested one with 57 defense earlier. That's gotta be guaranteed to net some arena wins. Some teams just won't be able to handle that. I couldn't. If I ever find myself with tons of feathers again I may invest in one of those.

Edit:

"And on that day the Fire Emblems decided to go home and go back to bed rather than battling the shit out of each other like they usually do."

I've never seen this before. They stayed like that for the whole battle too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:16:07 PM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
I've been fantasizing about the ideal skill for FCorrin to get, completely ignoring much heavy concern for balance, and I was going through hoops of trying to get a way to double while preventing counter attacks, but then I just now realized that the ideal skill already exists.
It's Sacae's Blessing.
It would be so perfect on her. Betting able to safely debuff while retaining your doubles to kill. Really makes you realize how ridiculous that skill is.

commandercool

• alter cool
Finally got around to finishing off Fire Emblem Warriors just now. I've only played through the main campaign, I haven't touched any of the other modes. I have no idea how robust History Mode is but I'll probably at least poke around with it.

I liked the game okay, and for a while in the middle it felt really engaging when I was occasionally losing and having to re-try levels, but the more I got into the endgame the easier everything felt and by the end I had basically completely stopped maintaining my equipment and skills and it didn't feel like it mattered. That being the case I'll be giving lunatic difficulty a shot, and hopefully it translates to much deadlier enemies and more care and planning required, not just enemies with way more HP that you have to grind down forever. As it was a lot of bosses felt like they took WAY too long to kill, so making them even bulkier seems like it would be a real momentum-killer.

Has anyone played any other Dynasty Warriors games who can compare Fire Emblem Warriors to them? How does it stack up? The tactical stuff with directing allies from the pause menu was fun, but between that and the constant level-up interruptions (which I know can be disabled, but I wanted to keep track of what level my guys were) do kind of halt the action A LOT. Maybe that's good though, since the action is kind of repetitive so pausing it to do other stuff might be fine.

At any rate, Fire Emblem Warriors is fun, and if lunatic difficulty works how I hope it does it may even be really good. Not sure I would recommend people buy it at full price unless they love Dynasty Warriors, but it's worth a playthrough I guess.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:46:12 AM by commandercool »

Mеа

• catnapping
It's been a long time since I played any Warriors games, like back on ps2 long ago. Very briefly, barely touched Gundam Warriors and the Fist of the North Star one. FE Warriors was a nice diversion if you're bored, the strategic elements were really quite fun. Being able to direct allies makes too much sense to be an original feature of this game, they must have added it to the main series at some point, even if the weapon triangle may be unique.

I didn't even know that skills were a thing until I beat the story and looked it up. They're hidden so far below the rune map thing that I didn't even know it was there. Doesn't feel super necessary though. Weapon skills too. Managing them feels so much more troublesome than its worth. I think it's only really good for grinding out weapons, and maybe stacking the Slayer skills. I wish I could disable the slowdown whenever you make those effective hits though.

Gameplay-wise it was fun, especially since I haven't touched anything like it for a long while. I'm not a big fan of how the later missions start by bringing in an initial shitstorm of enemies that rush your base and you have all your characters in one place dealing with like 5 captains each. Really removes that feeling of directing the tides of the battlefield, that strategic element, that was so fun in the earlier half of the game, and even in the later missions after you get past that initial rush. It's still fun enough though that I'll probably get the Olivia DLC whenever it comes out this month.

(Also does anyone know what the heck Elise/Leo say in their Strong III move? Ganesha? Gaweisha?)

commandercool

• alter cool
Has the "mystery hero" been datamined? Or is there a strong theory about who it is based on the silhouette? I'm assuming it's a Laguz.

Wasn't there a new colorless weapon datamined? Laguz could be a physical 1-range colorless weapon. And the Radiant games' obnoxious biorhythm mechanic would actually work really well in Heroes.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
I'm assuming they're new spring heroes, but who knows.

Mеа

• catnapping
They announced there'd be a new colorless dragon unit sometime soon. People are thinking a colorless dragon legendary, but it could be the new seasonal for all we know. Seasonals have a tendency to introduce new unit types waaay earlier after all. It took like, what, almost a year to finally get a mage flier in the regular pool?

commandercool

• alter cool
Is it just me or was the hardest Rival Domain from this batch really fantastically balanced? Maybe it was just me because I'm so deficient on good armors, but it took me a decent number of tries to beat, I tried a few different strategies and improved a little each time, and I had a blast tinkering with it. Giving the bonus to armor units was a great touch since you had to really work to get them into the fray. The only thing that wasn't good was the reward, which was pretty pathetic. Fair enough for a free map, but I'd love to see an Infernal Rival Domain with tiered rewards based on score and some creative bonus conditions (maybe something like "defeat an enemy while occupying a fort" or something). Rival Domain has a ton of potential and I hope to see it developed further.

Mеа

• catnapping
I see we're on the cusp of entering the chill phase of our meta. The new Chilled Eggs seem more geared towards support than directly benefiting the unit holding it, moreso with the blue since it debuffs def. And then there's Chill Res Reinhardt. Also hotdamn that Kagero attack art, a preteen somewhere just experienced their first awakening to a new experience.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
FUCKING NINJABBIT ATTACK

commandercool

• alter cool
Oh god, I'm slightly terrified about Chill Res. We just reached a place where tanking was getting plausible again in the meta. At least there's no Chill Def I guess?

You know just last week juria0801's FEH comic had a gag about Sharena being convinced that she would never get an event costume.  :D

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/3050665

Mеа

• catnapping
Horse Chrom has Chill Def

Although, he's not particularly terrifying with it. I'd be more scared if it was used with a Brave Bow unit. Like a quad BLyn or something.