Author Topic: Touhou Splits - A tool for tracking scores while streaming  (Read 4233 times)

Touhou Splits - A tool for tracking scores while streaming
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
Hi everyone. I made a neat little tool for streaming called Touhou Splits. It lets you keep track what your scores are during different parts of the game while playing! If you're familiar with speedrunning then you can basically think of it as a score-running version of LiveSplits.

This is nice for if you want to keep track of the pace of your run, so you and your viewers can easily see if you're ahead or behind of your personal best at different parts of the run! You can define splits segments however you want, so you can split once at every stage, or have splits set up at different parts of the game (so for EoSD you could do Stage 1, Rumia, Stage 2, Cirno, ect).

The project is still fairly immature in terms of development. Right now it's only working for EoSD, PCB, and IN, but I plan to add the remaining games very soon - each game is configured via a config file so this should theoretically be future-compatible with all new Touhou games with minimal work. This is now working with all of the main Windows Touhou games (with the exception of Phantasmagoria of Flower View). I also want to make it easier to configure hotkeys, since right now changing the defaults requires modifying a XML file by hand. After that I'll probably take a short break, but if there's interest then there's some other nice-to-haves I'd like to add well like options to configure the UI and extending the framework to make it easier to support games outside of Touhou.

If you run across any bugs or have any suggestions on things to change then please reach out to me, either by posting here or sending me a PM! I've only tested this on a couple Windows 7 and 8 computers so far. I'm fairly confident it should work fine on all versions of Windows XP and newer, but if you run into any problems then please let me know. If you encounter a crash, the program should give you the option to save a bug report - please include that when submitting any bugs.

Lastly, thanks for reading up until the end!

Webpage with download link and instructions: https://bitbucket.org/MPOstermann/touhousplits/wiki/Home
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:31:10 AM by marus »

Re: Touhou Splits - A tool for tracking scores while streaming
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 12:02:30 PM »
How about another column for PIV at the end of each stage (current run and PB)?

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »
Hi! I got a similar question at shmups forums (asking about PIV, lives and bombs), so I'll copy and paste my response here:

That's certainly possible, and it's something I briefly considered! It probably wouldn't come for a while though since at that point we're adding data which is game-specific, and to support that I'd need to rework the UI and other parts of the code to be more configurable first (which is something I want to do at some point, but I'm not sure when exactly). The main concern I have is I'm not sure how to display all that data without cluttering the UI - I'd have to spend some time thinking about that.

At the moment, despite the project being named Touhou Splits I'd like to support adding non-Touhou games first before supporting stuff that's game-specific. It all depends on what kind of feedback I get though - if it sounds like the only people interested are Touhou players then I'll focus on adding features for Touhou. Plus now that this initial version is done, I'd like to spend some time actually playing games again  :D

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
This is a really nifty-sounding tool. I can't wait to see its presence in the newer games!

I do want to ask about a possible suggestion; Do you think that you could watch somebody else's replay to get their score table filled out, and display that separately to your own score table? That could help in comparing your progress to world record players.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:48:31 AM by KaiserKnuckle »
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:43:59 AM »
Quote from: KaiserKnuckle
This is a really nifty-sounding tool. I can't wait to see it's presence in the newer games!

I do want to ask about a possible suggestion; Do you think that you could watch somebody else's replay to get their score table filled out, and display that separately to your own score table? That could help in comparing your progress to world record players.

This is kinda-sorta partially implemented already. I forgot to mention this but due to the way the games work you can actually have the tool running and record score while viewing replays, so you can fill out scores that way. There isn't a way to display two sets of scores at the moment though, but I can definitely make some option for that in the future! I suppose for the time being one thing you can do is just take a screenshot of the WR scores and display that in your stream layout.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:29:29 AM »
Hi everyone! I finally got off my lazy butt and added support for the rest of the main Touhou games. I also added support for Eden's Edge and Eden's Aegis by request. I haven't thoroughly tested how this works with each game, so if you encounter any bugs or weird issues then please let me know.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!