Author Topic: Two main Touhou games announced for Steam release!  (Read 100807 times)

Re: Two main Touhou games announced for Steam release!
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 01:07:32 AM »
the store page is completely Japanese. hahahaha.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Drake

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 02:24:23 AM »
as if i didn't call all of that already, no surprise

Also just to mention, the game is being published by Mediascape, which runs the Play,Doujin! program. The head of the company is D.N.A., who for those unaware is a close friend of ZUN. The importance of this is in keeping the management of everything close to home, which is something ZUN's always tried to do as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:57:12 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Drake

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »
Minor note, in ZUN's announcement on his twitter earlier today that TH16 is coming to Steam (which up until now has only been other people announcing it), he does say "first is HSiFS", making it clear he does want to continue releasing games on Steam.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
reading the steam discussion forums for hsifs makes me want to die.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »

They make me want to alternate between laughing out loud and dying. I feel bad for any japs that can read English enough to understand it all tbh

I doubt this will have much of an effect on the side of the overall fanbase, even on the western side. I'm curious as to if there will be leaderboards though.

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
"Touhou is truly the Cuphead of BloodSouls games."

This line embodies everything I expected to see out of Steam

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »

Steam forums be Steam forums, there are a few rational threads in there and people asking for help so I'd still look out for those

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »
"Touhou is truly the Cuphead of BloodSouls games."
What does that even mean?  ???

AzyWng

• "I was a dumb American in a place where dumb Americans were less popular than the clap."
  • "So this was it. My easy retirement."
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »

I'd ask the words themselves what they think, but I think that sentence was bad enough to damage every one of them so I'll just wait until they recover.

But just like what Fluury said, Steam forums are Steam forums. While the people who talk about the game might be fools, the people who actually play the game...

Well, hopefully they're not as bad.

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:04 PM »

As a general rule of thumb, like YouTube comments on large followings channels, you don't read them. It's cancerous. Always will be.

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »

But just like what Fluury said, Steam forums are Steam forums. While the people who talk about the game might be fools, the people who actually play the game...

Well, hopefully they're not as bad.

You are aware the people that are currently mingling around in the Steam forums are folk that play the game? They are just a bunch of poopyposters from /jp/ and other sub-communities, otherwise they wouldnt be in the forum.

So essentially; Don't hope the players arent like that, because they already are.

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »

Amateur translation time!

Cuphead == Bullet Hell

BloodSouls == Dark Soul -like game

Essentially, the Dark Soul of Bullet Hell game (even though Touhou is on the mid side...)

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
This is probably a bad idea, because ZUN will get relentlessly attacked by trolls, and then he'll hate the English fanbase...

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
...It's not like there isn't troll and toxicity within Japanese fanbase though. I think he's prepare, with such a long legacy with him.

Drake

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
This is probably a bad idea, because ZUN will get relentlessly attacked by trolls, and then he'll hate the English fanbase...
Nah. Seriously, by all indications ZUN doesn't read any kind of random comments from fans. He also barely knows any English at all. I doubt having an awful discussion board or review section will matter (to him at least), but he might look at the overall review numbers.

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »
while im positive there will be a lot of joke reviews I very much doubt the game will land on anything under "very positive"

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
Even if there's a serious amount of Touhou hater/troll reviews, fans will help drown them out anyway.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 02:40:11 AM »
About a week left, and I'm staying optimistic for this.
Haven't even touched the Steam discussion boards and the like.
Purely hoping that the game does well enough that 1) we can support ZUN for most of the games people have been pirating for so long, maybe even older titles like EoSD if we're lucky and 2) good netcode for AoCF...please please please
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2017, 05:17:13 AM »
I'm curious as to if there will be leaderboards though.
From what it looks like the game will have absolutely no integration with Steam other than being distributed through it. I'm not even sure if it'll use Steamworks DRM.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 05:37:39 AM »
There was a brief interview with ZUN about the Steam releases posted today that clears up a few things: https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2017/11/14/76810.html

Not only will the release of past works depend upon how HSiFS performs, but it will also depend upon if the game will be able to run on newer systems, since EoSD in particular might not work without some tinkering. Also, he does not plan to include things like trading cards at the moment, but for the Tasogare games, that might be a possibility. He's also considering the inclusion of the event-exclusive Gold Rush with Danmaku Amanojaku as a bonus should that get released.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
EoSD can work on newer systems just fine, but yeah, it might need some actions that not all users are savvy enough to perform ("DirectX? What's that?"). And for non-Japanese users the problems pretty much double (AppLocale doesn't work on Win10, from what I know).

That said, if EoSD (or other games) will be deemed too outdated I hope someone suggests that ZUN releases them on Steam as freeware anyway. There are quite a few cases like that out there already (well, ones that I know of are all DOS games that come with DOSBox, and that thing needs tinkering in some cases as well).

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
Another interview from IGN: http://jp.ign.com/tohotenkusho/19395/news/steamzunproject

This has something a little meatier in that he is basically giving the OK for Touhou fangames to be added to Steam.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
This has something a little meatier in that he is basically giving the OK for Touhou fangames to be added to Steam.

Ok, wow.  That's huge.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:59 PM »
Another interview from IGN: http://jp.ign.com/tohotenkusho/19395/news/steamzunproject

Original Interview Text:
――ちなみに東方ProjectのローカルルールにはZunさんがリリースしたプラットフォームでは、二次創作をリリースしても良いというものがありますが、今後、Steamで東方Projectの二次創作がリリースされる可能性はあるのでしょうか。 (もちろん、これはZunさんの意志によるものではないと思いますが。)

たぶん出て来ると思いますよ。そういった事情もありましたよね。Steamで二次創作出したいってう問い合わせも多かったので。それはもう僕が出ていれば問題ないでしょうという流れで、出て来ると思いますよ。

――なるほど、ではあとは各サークルによりますが、出て来る可能性があるということですね。

各サークルの判断によりますね。こちらでは問題ないという形です。

Rough Translation:
Q: There is an insider's rule that one can release Touhou derivative works to the platform as long as ZUN implemented it first.  (Now that ZUN implemented Touhou on Steam), is there a possibility on having Touhou derivative works on Steam? 

ZUN: I'm sure it can come.  Now that I think about it, there were a lot of requests that they wanted to release their derivative works on Steam.  Now that I first made my move, I'm sure there's no big problems, is how I think about it.

Q: Then, if there are Touhou dervative circles willing, Steam release is possible?
ZUN: I'll let them decide on that.  From my side, there are no problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This also looks like a good read, from thcrap people.

http://thcrap.nmlgc.net/announcements/th16steam.html

What I got out is that Playism's TH14 was sold such that it doesn't run under Western OS environment, and that Steam's TH16 release shouldn't go through the same path.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:31:48 PM by Sedrife »

Drake

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2017, 04:17:01 AM »
demo's out

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
demo's out
It's literally the demo that was released at Reitaisai 14. The file checksums are exactly the same.

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
It's literally the demo that was released at Reitaisai 14. The file checksums are exactly the same.

And it should come as no surprise that THCrap is compatible with this version. That's all I wanted to know. I had a hunch it would since it just seemed like all Steam is for it is just a digital spot.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
Fan games being allowed on Steam is a huge step forward. It is great to see ZUN is slowly but surely moving onto such platforms. This makes me wonder about my own game, perhaps in the near future I might consider rehauling all data to make it "my own version" and see if I can get a steam version going(?)