Author Topic: Two main Touhou games announced for Steam release!  (Read 100813 times)

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Two main Touhou games announced for Steam release!
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
So how's this work?

If I had a Touhou fangame, would I just need to submit it to Valve, and then it'd free for anyone to buy as if it was any other game and ZUN wouldn't do anything about it? (or at least as long as I don't do something really stupid like claiming the intellectual property is mine and stuff)

I would assume that's how it works.  Unless the guidelines on ZUN's website are updated and there's a specific way of going about it, that's a fairly logical conclusion to draw from the slides.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »
It just strikes me as too simple, somehow. But if that's how ZUN wants to go about it then I guess that's okay.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »
Presumably, yes. Just mention it's a derivative work and you should be clear.

Drake

« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2017, 04:11:44 AM »
And y'know don't run afoul of other obvious things like not using other people's content.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Drake

« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
I've been meaning to go back and listen to the last Nikenme for a while because ZUN talked about the Steam release there. Starts at 31:00.

Here's some paraphrasing, but my listening comprehension sucks and ZUN mumbles a lot so it's difficult to hear what he's saying most of the time. I only went through a couple minutes; I'll probably just wait for littletrailhand to summarize, whenever they get around to it.

O: Tenkuushou has, at the time, 3200 reviews.
Z: Woah, that many?
O: When I first looked it was around 2000, but when I checked today there were 3170 reviews. Out of those reviews... the number that did not recommend was only something like 26 (laugh)
Z: (laugh)
O: "Overwhelmingly Positive" (laugh)
Z: Wonderful.
O: For matter out of the non-recommendations there was only one in Japanese.
Z: (laugh)
O: But really, there were only about 40~50 reviews in Japanese, and the rest were non-Japanese.
Z: Well, people outside Japan can buy it now.
O: That's what I'm saying, yeah. If you look, many of the reviews say stuff like "Now I can finally give ZUN money".
Z: Ah, nice. [mumbles something about people giving money, both laugh]

Z: The most important thing here is that this is the first time for a lot of people that they can officially buy the games.
O: Before Steam there was Kishinjou on Playism... (laugh)
Z: [something about playism]
O: But this is the first time you can buy directly, so to speak.
Z: [something about steam and foreign languages]
O: [something about only speaking japanese]
O: A lot of the reviews came from Asia; China and Korea...
Z: Well really the first time I said I wanted to bring the games to Steam would have been Atlanta, probably.
O: What year was that? (laugh)
Z: 2013, I think? So four years ago.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
Z: Well really the first time I said I wanted to bring the games to Steam would have been Atlanta, probably.
O: What year was that? (laugh)
Z: 2013, I think? So four years ago.

Oh man, I remember that!  I don't remember him saying anything about Steam but it's been a couple years since I've seen the transcript from then.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Poison Cat

« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2018, 03:58:13 PM »
is there any difference between the steam release and the game released in august? have the glitches been fixed or not?

« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
is there any difference between the steam release and the game released in august? have the glitches been fixed or not?
For HSiFS, the only difference is the implementation of SteamWorks DRM; no glitches were fixed. The Steam release is compatible with Thcrap, which also includes bugfix patches for Spell Practice in addition to translation patches.
Not sure about AoCF at this time.
Edit: Apparently AoCF has no DRM and thcrap is compatible, which means the AoCF Steam release is identical to the C93 release.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:28:07 PM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Poison Cat

« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »
For HSiFS, the only difference is the implementation of SteamWorks DRM; no glitches were fixed. The Steam release is compatible with Thcrap, which also includes bugfix patches for Spell Practice in addition to translation patches.
Not sure about AoCF at this time.
Edit: Apparently AoCF has no DRM and thcrap is compatible, which means the AoCF Steam release is identical to the C93 release.

It's quite disappointing that there are no fixes. Anyways, thank you for the info!

« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2018, 05:13:16 PM »
There was a patch released for AoCF on the same day as the Steam release.

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
I'm surprised ISC made it there before DDC. It's kind of important to know who Seija is when you play her photo-game  :D. Then again, most buyers will be fans who are in the know anyway.
Definitely going to grab LoLK, the one mainline Windows Touhou game I've never played. I'm especially interested in its pointdevice mode. Super Meat Shrine Maiden  :derp:.

Nimono

• wat
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2019, 04:08:25 AM »
-whoops i made a mistake-

That's cool that ZUN's adding LoLK in! Maybe now I'll get a chance to try it. :D

Drake

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
And we have two more new (old) ones:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1043230/__Ten_Desires/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1043240/__Double_Dealing_Character/

I'm wondering now if this was the limit of how far ZUN will be counting backwards. Is it realistic to be seeing 17-year old grandpa of a shooter EoSD at some point?  :3

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »
Surprising to see 10D.  I thought ZUN said at one point he didn't have the master for anything pre-DDC anymore.  But if he's gotten around that, the sky is the limit.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »
I hope STB and SA are released for steam too ... they are old games, but personally they are my favorites.
Although, yes, I do not think that ZUN will ever fix things like the Marisa B bug in MoF.  :(

Sheeps are love, sheeps are life~

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
He had a HDD crash or something that wiped all the data he had before he made Mountain of Faith. So, he probably can't go any farther back than that.

That's also probably why there was a sudden art-style crash where he  had been getting increasingly refined in a certain style up to PoFV; he lost all his custom brushes and stuff. Hardly the only time he suddenly shifted in style though, so, not necessarily, but it's something I heard before.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:53:20 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »
IIRC Windows Touhou games never went out of print so at least some company has a copy of the master. Not the source code of course, but ZUN never kept the source materials of old games anyway so he probably doesn't need that to release them on Steam. So yeah, going all the way back to EoSD should be possible.

Drake

« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2019, 06:18:32 AM »
DDC and TD are up!

« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
Well, my precious eroge and hentai games have already been turned mainstream on the steam platform so why not Touhou too?

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2019, 01:39:44 AM »
At this rate I think we're going to get all games from MoF onwards.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »
At this rate I think we're going to get all games from MoF onwards.

Except the Tasofro games it seems (besides AoCF), since it looks like it's more their decision to release those or not.

Feels like mostly ZUN games are being focused on atm, and since ULiL and HM aren't on Steam yet, I don't think we'll expect Soku or SWR anytime soon either.

« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2019, 02:17:15 AM »
Except the Tasofro games it seems (besides AoCF), since it looks like it's more their decision to release those or not.

Feels like mostly ZUN games are being focused on atm, and since ULiL and HM aren't on Steam yet, I don't think we'll expect Soku or SWR anytime soon either.
Ohh ... but anyway this is a great sign. A few years ago that Touhou was officially out of Japan was just one dream but ... more and more official games are being released to Steam.
Hopefully STB and the rest of the games too.

Sheeps are love, sheeps are life~