Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey: Make Sonic 06 jokes if you must  (Read 3565 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Super Mario Odyssey: Make Sonic 06 jokes if you must
« on: October 28, 2017, 03:59:08 AM »
So Super Mario Odyssey came out today. Anybody playing it?

I'm a couple of hours in (just beat the second boss in
Spoiler:
the desert zone
and am doing cleanup). I gotta admit that I like it but don't love it so far. The controls feel weird, which is probably just because the Super Mario Sunshine controls are burned into my brain forever and these feel similar but not quite as zippy.

The game's MO seems to be "here's a zone, there's a basic structure where you beat several bosses to unlock the next zone, but there are *dozens and dozens* of Power Moons scattered absolutely everywhere if you're feeling completion-y". They're so common that you basically can't help but find several just walking in a straight line. Which is both good and bad. On one hand it makes it feel like you're just about always accomplishing something whenever you explore anywhere, but on the other hand they're not super exciting to find. I imagine it'll be both fun and frustrating to try to 100% this game since there are so many, but at least you unlock the ability to get hints to their locations in a few different ways once you get enough in a zone.

I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Re: Super Mario Odyssey: Make Sonic 06 jokes if you must
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »
I'll be buying a Switch with this game in mind in the near future. Most likely the end of the year. Until then I've just got to sweat it out listening about how this game's only weakness is the overabundance of the primary collectible.

Man, I got a NES with the original SMB for my fifth birthday and have played nearly all of the main entries since. I can't wait for this .

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
I'm near the end of the main story (although I hear the game is mostly postgame) and I've warmed up to it a lot. I think it starts a bit too slow for its own good, but there's a lot of interesting design stuff going on here.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 03:09:17 AM »
Okay, so I beat the main game.

-
Spoiler:
Bowser has a fantasy dragon that isn't cartoony at all and looks like it came straight out of Fire Emblem.

-
Spoiler:
Mario and Peach almost kiss but then they don't. Seems to lend a lot of credence to the "Luigi marries Peach and Mario marries Pauline" theory.

-
Spoiler:
Yoshi confirmed.

-Some of the postgame stuff is really hard. I'm working on a 2D segment that borders on kaizo levels of unforgiving places unless I'm doing it wrong somehow. This is not a bad thing.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
How is the camera control?  Excluding stuff like the 2D sections, does the game ever take away your ability to move/center the camera (like when you might want to line up a jump)?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
I honestly don't remember noticing the camera almost ever, which I think means it was generally doing a good job. All I can recall specifically without picking up the game and looking for it is that you can still go into first person mode to look around, and the only time adjusting it ever seemed to be a problem was the few times in the game that you're in a confined space.