Author Topic: Touhou's Modern Youkai of the Outside World  (Read 4429 times)

Touhou's Modern Youkai of the Outside World
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »
As establish in the setting, old, traditional Youkai retreated into Gensokyo because the outside world of science have drive away the mystic of the dark, so they have to go or they will die. But it's not like Youkai can't survive within the modern world, as example by Mamizou.

...Beside, I'm not talking about them anyway. In my opinion, darkness doesn't go away. As we tried to answer more thing, even more question popped up in it place. As the world become influenced by science, we find even more darkness within it, and within the society that it form. From the dark web to corporation, conspiracy and urban legend that have been abstracted by the ignorance...what kind of Youkai could you think popped up in those place, as an "easy" explanation to the massed?

Ex: Stock Market Youkai - Youkai that lurk in the digital stock market of the world. They messed with the price of the Market nilly willy, almost like fairy. There's no rhyme or reason, except to spread chaos for their own amusement. Based on the abstract nature of the economy, they grow on the ignorance of it, being the unknown that govern the everyday life.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou's Modern Youkai of the Outside World
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »
Hey this could be fun. How about we use something based on the wiki template?

Name: Hitomi Watanabe
Species: Ransomware youkai
Abilities: Ability to encrypt any drive until her demands are met
Brief description: Hitomi delights in randomly attacking machines. She will encrypt all yours files and will not relinquish the password to decrypt them until you satisfy her demands. These demands are usually monetary in nature, although in rare occasions she may force unsuspecting humans to perform dark tasks on her behalf.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:52:08 AM »
...Can ransomware even be that old though, or it's just her profession now? And now that I think about it, most Youkai would only thrive in the digital world now.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »
bakebake could be the generic viruses / pop ups

eirin could be the antivirus

pache is the computer geek who actually codes the ransomware
BRING MIMA BACK OR RIOT

1cc PODD no deaths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfSxwB5uYw

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:28 AM »
Ransomware is at least 28 years old now, so it's a pretty good call. Was the recent Rensenware a fruit of Hitomi's boredom, I wonder?

Kogasa or Kogasa-like youkai might prefer old, neglected computers and other electronics over umbrellas nowadays. Beware the Amiga left there forever.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
Well, beside the digital world, there could be succubus in the red light district, Corporation Youkai that turn human into mindless calculation machine, and Kappa in the drug line (or Drug Selling Youkai, of sort). There's plenty of darkness to hide in, but I think the digital world is the most abstract.