Author Topic: Books and Literature  (Read 76341 times)

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
Re: Books and Literature
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2009, 06:18:09 AM »
Just finished reading The Forge of God.  Needless to say things didn't end well. :(

Onto Anvil of Stars!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »
I've always been a sucker for Vince Flynn's political thriller series. Those books have everything!
Action, espionage, assassins, politics, humor, terrorism, romance, etc.
Very good reads, I recommend them to all readers.

Convince me in 200 words or less.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
Michener is AWESOME.  Don't be intimidated by the sheer size of his books.  Just start turning pages. 

The good thing about Michener is that he writes historical fiction from pretty much all over the world.  I started with Hawaii and loved it, along with Caribbean, but if you want a more cross-sectional view of American history, Chesapeake is wonderful.  He talks about cooking crab, oysters, and seafood enough to make me hungry.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
One thing I don't like about fantasy novels...And it seems to occur in all of them, is the amount of needless poetry, song lyrics, rhymes, etc. Like the dwarven songs in the Drizzt novels, and the amount of text wasted on various songs (especially the girl and the bear or whatever) in martin books, etc. Am I the only person that's like "man? this AGAIN *skip*". sure seems like it because EVERY author does it, am I the only person who doesn't like that stuff?!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
I like it conceptually, because it adds more flavor to the world.

But a lot of the time, I'll straight up skip it unless I think it's plot relevant. I have no kind of eye for discerning meter or flow; I'd have to hear it most of the time to understand it correctly.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 07:01:11 AM »
I am reading Lord of the Flies at the moment for school. It's sad that I am the only one who likes the book. Guess kids these days don't know classics  :(
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:56 AM »
Lord of the Flies is neat. If only because it's really fun to shout "Sucks to your Ass-mar!"

That, and I imagined that the Lord of the Flies had Darth Vader's voice (I was reading extended universe novels back then =[).

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
Lord of the Flies is neat. If only because it's really fun to shout "Sucks to your Ass-mar!"

That, and I imagined that the Lord of the Flies had Darth Vader's voice (I was reading extended universe novels back then =[).
Everything with Beelzebub is good. That is why I am going to make something related to Beelzebub
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
I've never read lord of the flies, but I believe everything schools make you read are "classic"s... All the ones I've read still suck hard though.

I also never understood the whole Shakespeare fad. I mean seriously, can people actually enjoy that stuff legitimately? I really think everyone who likes it just pretends to because they think they come across as smart for liking it because it's "difficult" to read. Difficult to read because of hard to grasp concepts and difficult to read because everyone speaks like a retard  aren't the same though.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
Shakespeare is a classic because he is the first person who really addressed such literary themes on stage; and as well was a pretty good poet. Shakespeare is only difficult to understand because langauge has evolved since them. If you understand 16th century English, he's actually pretty clear.

As well, he stood out as someone who didn't work with purely contemporary things, nor did he go into history that was quite so idealized as things such as the Grail Romances, with were practically mythology. Shit, back then the idea of wrting about, say, the assassination of Julius Caesar was radical as hell. And he didn't do it as a dry history, he added fairly fitting drama to it all.

Mind you, there are also a lot of red meat for the audience plays, so it's not like he was all classics all the time.

Then, you have to consider that a lot of the themes he wrote about still resonate with people today (at least once you get past the language barrier). That is not an easy thing to do, as a writer.

As well, Shakespeare gets my personal respect for The Tempest, as it was pretty much an early fantasy novel; it wasn't based on any particular mythology or folklore (though it invokes several), it was Shakespeare pretty much making up his own setting.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »
I read faggotry all kinds of stuff.
I just finished Miyuki Myabe's Crossfire. I only bought the thing because it was shiny and brand new and was costing R$1,00(US$0,55?) at my school's book market(they sell used donated books for R$1 each, then donate the money. I always buy a goddamn ton of books in that thing) instead of the original 12 dollars plus import fees and taxes which would normally make it fucking expensive here. First book I read of that kind, it was rather nice.

It's fun to think most of my books are in english, except for brazillian literature(which is awesome, I must say).
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
  • Life's a game but it's not fair~
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »
I'm not a literary but or anything, but I enjoy a few dark books.

As I Lay Dying, by Faulkner was the first to kinda mess with my head.
Then Beloved, which I had to read for school, twisted with it more. .__.

In general I like books that use that stream-of-consciousness crap, which is especially why I liked Tsukihime so much  :V

I also read a bit of Murakami, but I haven't read Kafka or Nietzsche, I'm wondering if I should start reading their books in my free time. I just hope I don't become a self absorbed existentialist twat after reading them. Not saying all existentialists are, but I just know a few  :-\
Yuka <3
^^^ Links to newest/best YT upload

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2009, 08:14:28 AM »
Kafka is why I never want to go to the Czech Republic. It must be the worst place in the world to have inspired such writings.

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
Kafka is why I never want to go to the Czech Republic. It must be the worst place in the world to have inspired such writings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ <-- this
Yuka <3

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2009, 05:08:51 AM »
I'm not going to make the same mistake I made in the old awesome games topic; instead I shall simply say:

TERRY
FREAKIN'
PRATCHETT

Also, Edible:  Sanderson is bloody amazing.  Get everything by him.  Everything.  Including Elantris and Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians.  The man is a blasted GENIUS.

In other news, I'm a MASSIVE sucker for Weis and Hickman.  DragonLance, Death Gate Cycle, Sovereign Stone, and more.  I am still really not happy that I've to this day been unable to find the Darksword OR the Rose of the Prophet trilogies, and I check every bookstore I enter.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »
I'm not going to make the same mistake I made in the old awesome games topic; instead I shall simply say:

TERRY
FREAKIN'
PRATCHETT

Also, Edible:  Sanderson is bloody amazing.  Get everything by him.  Everything.  Including Elantris and Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians.  The man is a blasted GENIUS.

In other news, I'm a MASSIVE sucker for Weis and Hickman.  DragonLance, Death Gate Cycle, Sovereign Stone, and more.  I am still really not happy that I've to this day been unable to find the Darksword OR the Rose of the Prophet trilogies, and I check every bookstore I enter.

I really enjoyed Weist and Hickman at first. I enjoyed the twins series, as well as the dragons one..until about summer flame. After that... ICK. I just *HATE* the new cast, and it's only twisting a knife in a wound that the only old-cast member who is a regular in the new stuff is Tasslehoff, who was probably my least fave.

As for Darksword, you'll probably say something like "EFFFFFF" in 296pt font or whatever, but I always trip across like 5 copies of each book in the series everywhere I go. It's like lord of the rings or whatever lol.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2009, 05:01:35 PM »
[size=296]EFFFFFFFFFFFFF[/size]

Yeah, I think I hate you now. :P  Also, you're forgetting Raistlin.  Who is sheer ownage.  And while many of the characters were...less likable, shall we say...I still am a very substantial fan of Gerard.  He was my favorite character from the War of Souls, hands down.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
[size=296]EFFFFFFFFFFFFF[/size]

Yeah, I think I hate you now. :P  Also, you're forgetting Raistlin.  Who is sheer ownage.  And while many of the characters were...less likable, shall we say...I still am a very substantial fan of Gerard.  He was my favorite character from the War of Souls, hands down.

Eh. I like Raistlin. I just don't remember reading mucha bout him after summer flame.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »
I'm reading Sphere.
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »
Just finished reading The Confessions of an Economic Hitman, which I really, really wanted to like. But I just couldn't. It was bad. And my bullshit alarm went off several times while reading it.

Currently reading Shame In The Blood, which is starting off great.

Recently finished 69 by Ryu Murakami, which I think was probably the second best Japanese novel I've ever read. When it comes to modern Japanese lit, I highly recommend Yoko Ogawa. Diving Pool is just perfection. Haruki Murakami is a must, of course, but his work is pretty hit-or-miss. Some stand out titles include Sputnik Sweetheart, South of the Border West of the Sun, after the quake, A Wild Sheep Chase and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Banana Yoshimoto is also quite good. Hitomi Kanehara's Snakes and Earrings was pretty average, and tried too hard to be shocking, while Mari Akasaka is just awful, but Ryu Murakami thinks she's this amazing new rising talent and so Vibrator got published even though it reads like an outline for a novel rather than a novel itself.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2009, 02:36:58 AM »
The May Pole of Merry Mount by Nathaniel Hawthorne, in preparation for The Scarlet Letter

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2009, 04:30:25 AM »
I just finished Heart of Darkness.

They shoulda just named it Moby Dick-Jungle Version minus the homoerotic subtext and talk of whale anatomy.

I find nothing original in it, but it's still very well written. Conrad is a master of sarcasm.
Yuka <3

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
While I read a lot of mostly everything, I have particular taste for science fiction. The classical authors, like Asimov, Clarke, Herbert and Card are amongst my favorites, but I'm also a great fan of the cyberpunk (Gibson, Stephenson, Sterling) and post-cyberpunk authors (Charles Stross, Cory Doctorow). Fantasy, I'm not too much into, except for the stuff by China Mi?ville.
I'm currently following the release of Doctorow's Makers like it's a triple-weekly dose of crack.

I just finished Heart of Darkness.

They shoulda just named it Moby Dick-Jungle Version minus the homoerotic subtext and talk of whale anatomy.

I find nothing original in it, but it's still very well written. Conrad is a master of sarcasm.
I don't think they are so much alike. It's true that both deal with representing different facets of human behaviour. But Moby Dick was mainly about obsession with one's fate, while Heart of Darkness was about the darkness in people's heart emerging when they are too long in a dark place (i.e. away from civilization).

Bananamatic

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
We have good beer :V

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
I suddenly find myself reading like a crazy motherfucker this month. Finished Sphere already(in 3 days), pondered whether or not I should start The Parsifal Mosaic(it's huge), decided not to, yet.
Then hueg bi-annual book Rio de janeiro book convention happened, I bought a few more books to add to my huge book queue. Recently I started The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, which I can't stop feeling I should've read a long time ago.

I read half of it this morning.

After it I've a load of Ludlum stuff.
                                                                                   .

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »
Just giving a shout out to Dave Lawrence's The Bartender Journals.  So fun.  So informative.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2009, 01:58:28 AM »
Read the other half of the Guide this morning. Awesome.

Re-pondered whether or not I should start The Parsifal Mosaic, decided not to. Yet.

Now, should I read The Chauncellor Manuscript or Apocalypse Watch?
Spoiler:
(Loads of Ludlum, etc.)
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
I'm also a great fan of the cyberpunk (Gibson, Stephenson, Sterling)

Okay. Maybe you can do this.

I like Cyberpunk conceptually. The idea of it is awesome as hell. But I've never ever found a Cyberpunk book that was better than mediocre. Can you help me find a cyberpunk book that's good and well-written?

For reference, I've read: Neuromancer, City Come A'Walkin', Virtual Light, some of Idoru (which pissed me off so bad I couldn't finish it), the Mirror Shades anthology, Snow Crash, and Diamond Age.

I didn't really like all of them. I almost liked Snow Crash, except it's pretty clear Stephenson had no idea how to end it and was also profoundly ignorant of history. And I liked the first half of Diamond Age, until Stephenson systematically destroyed everything good about it in the second half of the book and I got so disgusted I put it down thirty pages from the end and swore to punch Neal Stephenson in the face if ever I met him. I almost liked City Come A'Walkin', except for the rocker girl who was psychic for no reason at all. That was just...superfluous and irritating. Gibson's  stuff seems to be poorly written and all that well planned. But I admit I read Pattern Recognition first, so I know he can do better. =|

Now that I've trashed what you like, got any recommendations?

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2009, 12:04:13 AM »
Ironic that you make this post without posting that Neuromancer cover.

And maybe surprisingly, I'm more-or-less of the same opinion as you. I like the concept of cyberpunk much more than I like the cyberpunk books. Though, while I admit the overall writing is not that great (Neuromancer's is borderline craptacular, really) I still find the books very entertaining. While Gibson's best works are the post-cyberpunk ones, I still like the older ones for things like the sense of nostalgia or how the characters are so immersed in the setting they are defined by how they perceive it.
It's been a long time since I read Stephenson, but I will also agree that he has good ideas that he doesn't always develop well.

tl;dr I'm on the same boat as you, and also wanted to know some better-written cyberpunk works. I still find them fun to read though, and also like the other cyberpunk media, but I kind of moved away into post-cyber and hard sci-fi.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »
Recently I picked up Dan Brown's Lost Symbol, which is an okay book, okay following to his best franchise ever with Robert Langdon but don't expect any smart stuff beyond the typical boil and unboil.

The other more distinct choice of read, is Hearts in Atlantis, I believe if you have the time for the read, pick it up, I consider this one of the better Stephen King books ever written. (Green Mile ranks 1 on my book list)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?