Author Topic: Books and Literature  (Read 76802 times)

Mizuki-chan

Re: Books and Literature
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:59 PM »
Saw the movie. I liked it. I feel like reading the book itself.
You should I felt like the book was better than the movie. But I always say that when it's book v.s movie

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »
as a member of a touhou fanforum

i feel obliged to read lolita

so i am

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:19 AM »
oh my gawd.

Uninformative post/10

Anyhow, anyone else here read the Chalion series? It's very good, if you're into fantasy.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 04:27:00 AM »
I read the foundation series quite a while ago, with other assorted novels and non-fiction books.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »
Perfume - Story of a Murderer

Works well as a whole, I can't believe it is not butter type story, pulled a lot of references from this one in my Remi fic so it is worth the read, I believe most of you would enjoy this one.

Mmm, I read this book a few years back. Evidently, I've become a little less sane as a result :/

I've finished reading an English translation of the book "Noli Me Tangere" (Touch Me Not) because it was something that was covered in school last year and it being in FILIPINO which I suck at right now I need to read it so I can prepare myself for next year's... "El Filibusterismo," which I do plan on reading up ahead on in due time so I can familiarize myself with the premise. :V

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
Mmm, I read this book a few years back. Evidently, I've become a little less sane as a result :/

I've finished reading an English translation of the book "Noli Me Tangere" (Touch Me Not) because it was something that was covered in school last year and it being in FILIPINO which I suck at right now I need to read it so I can prepare myself for next year's... "El Filibusterismo," which I do plan on reading up ahead on in due time so I can familiarize myself with the premise. :V

admittingly you never read anything by Haruki Murakami

Now that will render you a little timid, the fact that there are so many facets of murderer faces.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »
admittingly you never read anything by Haruki Murakami

Now that will render you a little timid, the fact that there are so many facets of murderer faces.

Uhh, what? I read Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore and Dance Dance Dance >_>

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 11:10:21 AM »
So you did?

That is awesome, now to man-up and read Lovecraftian horror.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
Oh man...Lovecraftian horror...I can't even bring myself to look at the cthulhu picture after reading it...I could before I read it.:(

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 01:40:54 AM »
Pick up the collected edition, it is not all about the Ctulhu that makes any impact.

If at all, most of the stories are fantasy based even, the horror aspect comes when you start to imagine.

The letters by Lovecraft worth reading:

Pictures in The House
The Rats in The Walls
Colors out of Space
The Music by Erich Zann
The Whispers in the Witch House

etc.

No tentacles, just horror, or a very allegoric level that can scare you the next time you look at a chipmunk.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 01:46:26 AM »
I read a few on wiki about the dream world, I would like to know which book has that.  :P

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 01:59:14 AM »
His letters are hardly published, but I saw chapters of it in a Great Collection of Classic Horror in the shelves.

There are other stories, including shorts by Stephen King and even Lumley.

Nameless Bunny

• The princess of the moon...IS MINE, MY OWN
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 11:11:53 PM »
There are only two books that have change my life...
The lord of the ring was one..., well, more like The Silmarillion (And more specially Turin Turambar's history) Tolkien make me love fictional literature and even anime and manga (don't laugh...before reading it i would have hate all people that watch anime or play rp or even like....uhmmm weaboo's stuff)
But the other one, and the best, is THE ALCHEMIST from Paulo Coelho. Is the best one, the most...sorry, i can't find the words needed to describe it... ='(

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 01:44:44 AM »
Probably my 2 fave authors are Raymond Feist, and George R R Martin. Any fan of fantasy should pick up a game of thrones and read it if they haven't. It's mega-super. I just wish book 5 was out already, wahhh.

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:58 AM »
Never forget Steven Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen)

Sequel to Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles) was delayed - well, the publishers assumed too much about its release date.

On a lighter and brighter note, the next Spook's book comes out in 2 days \o/
hope I'm not the only one who enjoys books for 'younger readers'
Advocate of Transhumanism

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:33 AM »
Never forget Steven Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen)

Sequel to Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles) was delayed - well, the publishers assumed too much about its release date.

On a lighter and brighter note, the next Spook's book comes out in 2 days \o/
hope I'm not the only one who enjoys books for 'younger readers'

Funny you should mention. I've just started giving the malazan series a go. Just finished deadhouse gates. While I feel it's good, it also seems like the vast majority of characters don't have long to develop before they are shuffled out of the plot or killed or something. I don't mind characters dying but I want to be a little bit more attached to them before they get the noose >=P.

But.. I'm only done book 2, there's still alot that can happen.

Orange

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 04:08:13 AM »
I finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha a few days ago. I thought it was pretty good, actually, I wasn't really expecting much from it.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
^ The movie turned out pretty disappointing for me though because the intense graphic detail was barely represented in the movie itself. True they choose prominent actors for the roles, but they just don't cut it, the drama is not as intense as I expected it to be.

Geisha needs a remake.

----

That new Stephen King book is quite awesome, I must say, it has frightening premises, but it is the epic adventure inside that really brings out the horror aspect.

I read a few on wiki about the dream world, I would like to know which book has that.  :P

I don't recall one specific on the Dream World, but there are plenty and in fact like Dreams in The Witch House contains epic mentions of the journeys into the dream world.

In another tale, The Outsider by Lovecraft talks of a boy raised in his surroundings by death.
An in bred child whose only relatives are the skulls that lay on his bed, as are the bones that litter his abandoned domain.

He enters the realm of Nephren-Ka, and never came back, his adventure there is the journey most wondrous like that when witnessing the completion of Salvador Dali's artwork.

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:31 PM »
Funny you should mention. I've just started giving the malazan series a go. Just finished deadhouse gates. While I feel it's good, it also seems like the vast majority of characters don't have long to develop before they are shuffled out of the plot or killed or something. I don't mind characters dying but I want to be a little bit more attached to them before they get the noose >=P.

But.. I'm only done book 2, there's still alot that can happen.

Damn I can't argue against your point because it would totally spoil everything, but, yes, you are only at book 2, and a lot can indeed happen.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 02:46:42 AM »
@Ghaleon:

I finished Mistborn the other day.  Great read.  Gonna pick up the second in the series soon.

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 05:43:03 AM »
The last time i read books was when i was a child... wait no

actually i haven?t read that much very well know books.

latest one was, i guess, Harry Potter 6 (didn?t want to spoiler myself the end, Book 7, until that movie is out).
In the future i might be able to get "and then there were none" somewhere... i really want to have it.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
The last time i read books was when i was a child... wait no

actually i haven?t read that much very well know books.

latest one was, i guess, Harry Potter 6 (didn?t want to spoiler myself the end, Book 7, until that movie is out).
In the future i might be able to get "and then there were none" somewhere... i really want to have it.

I thought I hated books thanks to school (public school pre-college is a waste of time IMO), then I forced myself to read a book of my own choice during my spare time instead of the cheap drivel that school made me read. I found it was enjoyable, which in retrospect is lucky since I've tried reading new series randomly and hating it occasionally.

Anyway, if you find yourself hating to read because you hate the books you are forced to read, try giving something else a shot, and not neccesarily something you already know. It might suprise you...

@Edible: That name doesn't ring a bell to me, should it?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
My bad.  Mobius mentioned that to me, not you.

Blackraptor

• Furniture
  • The guy with the thing over there at the place
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2009, 05:55:09 AM »
I've recently been into R.A. Salvatore novels. I've already read through 6 or the 13 books in "The Legend of Drizzt" series and I gotta say, that Elf, is most badass.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2009, 06:37:47 AM »
Oh hey, a thread for me.

I just finished up A Feast of (for?) Crows (which should please one poster here). Presently reading Mystery of the Ancient Seafarers, which the National Geographic Society recently put out; covering the histories of several early Mediterranean seafaring civilizations. It's a brief treatment, unfortunately, but I am hoping they interconnect things well.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
I've recently been into R.A. Salvatore novels. I've already read through 6 or the 13 books in "The Legend of Drizzt" series and I gotta say, that Elf, is most badass.

I find the early books are good.. uhh. going from memory:
legacy, exile, sojourn, uhh..something of darkness I think. streams of silver (whatever book is before it), halfling's gem. and the 3 after those.. but it kinda went downhill from there IMO. The most recent books just kinda felt juvenile somehow.

I just finished up A Feast of (for?) Crows
you DID read the 3 books before it right? It's the worst of the 4 existing novels imo.. though it's still good.

I can't wait until book 5 comes out so I can hear about Tyrion.. Somewhat looking forward to Jon snow stories too. I enjoyed it earlier with him, but after he became a spy or whatever it wasn't as enjoyable for me (even after he rejoined the wall).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:38:11 AM by Ghaleon »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
The Exile trilogy is probably Drizzt's best; though the Wrath of Menzoberrazan; or whatever the called the third trilogy, was pretty good too. The next couple books were not bad, but it was pretty clear that Salvatore considered things finished with the third trilogy and was just cashing in/following WotC's orders.

And yeah, I've read the three books before Crows. I can dig what you're saying about it being least among equals, if only because it didn't focus on a lot of characters that were previously followed. But, it's really cool to see Jaime become an Anti-hero in his own right, after Tyrion (who is one of the best anti-heroes ever) bowed out of things.

Personally, I sorta liked rogue John Snow, if only because he was constantly tempted to say to fuck with it all and join the Wildlings, and really the only reason he didn't was that they tried to get him to kill an innocent. That's going to make things interesting for his segment in the next book. It's kinda a shame that Samwell got the same kind of vow-breaking in wildling chick wants some, though. Also hanging Brienne made me smile, because now she officially failed at life and never achieved anything she wanted to do.

Also: My prediction: Tyrion is going to join up with Daenerys (Only spelt right).

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
The Exile trilogy is probably Drizzt's best; though the Wrath of Menzoberrazan; or whatever the called the third trilogy, was pretty good too. The next couple books were not bad, but it was pretty clear that Salvatore considered things finished with the third trilogy and was just cashing in/following WotC's orders.

And yeah, I've read the three books before Crows. I can dig what you're saying about it being least among equals, if only because it didn't focus on a lot of characters that were previously followed. But, it's really cool to see Jaime become an Anti-hero in his own right, after Tyrion (who is one of the best anti-heroes ever) bowed out of things.

Personally, I sorta liked rogue John Snow, if only because he was constantly tempted to say to fuck with it all and join the Wildlings, and really the only reason he didn't was that they tried to get him to kill an innocent. That's going to make things interesting for his segment in the next book. It's kinda a shame that Samwell got the same kind of vow-breaking in wildling chick wants some, though. Also hanging Brienne made me smile, because now she officially failed at life and never achieved anything she wanted to do.

Also: My prediction: Tyrion is going to join up with Daenerys (Only spelt right).

Tyrion didn't bow out, he's just missing from book 4, and will be in book 5, just like jaime will be missing in book 5...Though you probably know that. In case you didn't, Martin was currently making book 4, and he realized that it was much too big, so rather than cut the book in half (literally), and release it, he decided to cut the characters in half, and release it. The next book is still kind of book 4, only with the characters book 4 didn't include...You'd think that he would release book 5 faster because of this decision, dar...I like Jaime and Tyrion too myself.

I kinda liked Brienne, even though her character wasn't very deep. I can relate to her. She never had it easy with anything, but didn't let that stop her from continuing to try. Every defeat that she had was caused by misunderstanding from false-information given by liars and accepted thru ignorance. Totally the story of my life. If she was given equal grounds and chances as everyone else, she would have not "failed" at life.

Daenerys is a roller-coaster ride. I find I loathe her chapters like 6 times in a row.. super boring, then the next 6 pwn, then they boring, then they pwn, back and forth. I can't remember how well I enjoyed her most recent ones, been a few years >=P.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 04:49:21 AM »
Yeah, Daenerys chapters run the gamut. Overall, I like them, but they are so removed from everything else that it's practically a different story altogether, so there's a sort of "Let's get back to the good stuff already!" feeling to a lot of them. And I enjoyed Brienne. She was a cool concept. It's just that her whole life was pretty much a series of failures despite being an awesome knight, and getting hanged by Catelyn is pretty much the crowning achievement of that failure. It really could not have ended better. Shame she had to take Podrick down with her, though.

But really, Jaime becoming a major character is the surprising bit for me. I really didn't see it coming, and had to do a double take when his chapter first appeared. Same with Cersei. But his character development is interesting, to say the least. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to Brienne's hanging.

Also: I am hoping Sansa gets to do things. Her chapters are important in the sense that it dwells on the abject powerlessness of noblewomen, but more things happening in them would be keen.

Finally: I hope Mance gets a few chapters. He's too cool to die. ;_;

Hops203

• Yo, where all the white women at?
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 04:27:20 AM »
I've always been a sucker for Vince Flynn's political thriller series. Those books have everything!
Action, espionage, assassins, politics, humor, terrorism, romance, etc.
Very good reads, I recommend them to all readers.