Author Topic: RaNGE Contest #18: Extra Love  (Read 29287 times)

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
RaNGE Contest #18: Extra Love
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:00:57 AM »
RaNGE 18 is here! To celebrate this contest series' coming of age, we have planned something a little...extra.

By extra we mean extra stages - this contest will cover any and all Extra bosses from main series Touhou games. This contest is designed to have a large pool of options to choose from so that people are bound to find something they enjoy. There aren't many restrictions beyond which character you can use, so have fun!

RULES
*All scripts must have a minimum of 6 patterns, with each nonspell or spell being one pattern.  To accommodate the fact that these are extra bosses, the maximum is 18 patterns. Please remember that quality beats quantity, though, and adding patterns for the sake of having more is discouraged.
* Multiple difficulties are allowed. Judges are not obligated to play all difficulties and will likely pick one that matches their skill level, so be sure each one is balanced!
* Midbosses and stages are optional. If a midboss is present it may have up to 3 patterns. Midbosses must be from the list below, but they don't need to "match" the boss they were assigned to in the official Touhou game.
* Valid Bosses are Rika, Mugetsu, Gengetsu, Alice Margatroid, Flandre Scarlet, Ran Yakumo, Yukari Yakumo, Fujiwara no Mokou, Suwako Moriya, Koishi Komeiji, Nue Houjuu, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, Raiko Horikawa, Hecatia Lapizlazuli and Okina Matara. Mugetsu and Gengetsu need not be together.
* Valid Midbosses are Mysterious Orb, Trump King, Patchouli Knowledge, Chen, Ran Yakumo, Keine Kamishirasawa, Kanako Yasaka, Sanae Kochiya, Kogasa Tatara, Nue Houjuu, Benben Tsukumo, Yatsuhashi Tsukumo, Doremy Sweet, Mai Teireida and Satono Nishida. Midbosses that appear together in the original game need not be together, and midbosses need not "match" the boss.
* If done in Danmakufu or otherwise, script errors or other bugs may lead to docked points or complete disqualification depending on the severity of the issue. Be sure to thoroughly playtest!

RESOURCES FOR BEGINNERS TO DANMAKUFU
* Danmakufu Wiki
* Helepolis' Video Tutorials
* Sparen's Written Tutorials

JUDGES

Scripts will be judged with the vast majority of the score attributed to the quality of danmaku. Visual effects and music are nice, but they are ultimately secondary to your entry's gameplay. Post your entries in the thread when they are ready to be submitted.

DEADLINE: October 30, 2017, 11:59:59 PM Eastern
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:57:58 AM by ExPorygon »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
Re: RaNGE Contest #18: Extra Love
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:41:26 AM »
But what if I wanted to make Yukari my midboss for Ran :(
Also who's this Sanae Moriya chick?

ExPorygon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:14:30 AM »
Also who's this Sanae Moriya chick?
That's Tricky's fault...
He wrote it not me!

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »
That's Tricky's fault...
He wrote it not me!
Time to go yell at him :madeyes:

Actually, shouldn't Marisa count, being a Extra Boss in GFW?
Goes to yell at Tricky some more
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:29:20 AM by PhantomSong »

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:59 AM »
Marisa is a protagonist first and extra boss second, at least that's what we thought when we decided not to include her. Plus GFW is a spinoff of sorts. We figured sticking to the list posted would be better for the contest.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:54:36 AM by Trickysticks »
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
Just to clarify, is it alright to make a fight against Mugetsu and Gengetsu or would I have to choose one of them? The way you said it was kinda ambiguous.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:32:00 PM by GenoCraft »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
This post has been reserved for video logging and other services.
For non-bulletforge download links, there is a chance that the link posted here is not up to date. In this case, please see the scripter's latest posts to get the correct download link.

~~~PLAYLISTS~~~
Pikmin H/Pikno

~~~VIDEOS~~~

WishMakers's Entry (Character: Alice) - Return to the Demon World
DL: DropBox OR Bulletforge
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Return to the Demon World by Wishmakers
* SparenofIria: RaNGE Contest 18: Return to the Demon World by WishMakers

Conarnar's Entry (Character: Koishi) - Extraordinary Subconscious
DL: Bulletforge
* SparenofIria: [DNHLP - 51] Danmakufu (東方弾幕風) ph3: RaNGE Contest 18: Extraordinary Subconscious by Conarnar
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Extraordinary Subconscious by Conarnar
* ParadoxPython: Danmakufu Delirium #59 ~ RaNGE 18: Conarnar's Extraordinary Subconscious

Junky's Entry (Character: Mokou) - Burning Phoenix
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Burning Phoenix by Junky

Vigor/NecroHeart's Entry (Character: Yukari) - Recollection Violet
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Recollection Violet by NecroHeart
* SparenofIria: [DNHLP - 52] Danmakufu (東方弾幕風) ph3: RaNGE Contest 18: Recollection Violet by Vigor
* ParadoxPython: Danmakufu Delirium #57 ~ RaNGE 18: Vigor's Recollection Violet

Lollipop (Character: Flandre) - Diabolic Wave
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Diabolic Wave by Lollipop (Flanre by Lollipop)

Arcvasti (Character: Alice) - Fluffytail Wonderland
DL: DropBox
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Fluffytail Wonderland by Arcvasti
* ParadoxPython: Danmakufu Delirium #60 ~ RaNGE 18: Arcvasti's Fluffytail Wonderland

DrytheMeowstic's Entry (Character: Mamizou) - Youkai Road
Danmakufu Video Database: DrytheMeowstic RaNGE 18

Umbra's Entry (Character: Mokou) - Overly Spicy Chicken Nugget
DL: Discord CDN OR Bulletforge
Danmakufu Video Database: Umbra RaNGE 18

Jimmy's Entry (Character: Hecatia) - Three Dimensions
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Three Dimensions by Jimmy
* ParadoxPython: Danmakufu Delirium #61 ~ RaNGE 18: Jimmy's Three Dimensions

GenoCraft's Entry (Character: Gengetsu + Mugetsu) - Disastrous Dream Duet
DL: DropBox
* There are currently no videos for this script.

iVAwalys's Entry (Character: Flandre) - Flandre is Bored
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Flandre is Bored by Awalys

Rawsome's Entry (Character: Koishi) - ???
DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d428fiwuqng5j44/KoishiKomeji.zip?dl=0
* Pikmin H/Pikno: Koishi by Rawsome
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:20:39 PM by Sparen »

Trickysticks

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
Just to clarify, is it alright to make a fight against Mugetsu and Gengetsu or would I have to choose one of them? The way you said it was kinda ambiguous.

It's alright to make a fight against both of them, they just don't need to be together if you'd rather just do one or the other.
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
It's alright to make a fight against both of them, they just don't need to be together if you'd rather just do one or the other.
I see, thanks. I think I'll participate with both of them and Doremy as a midboss.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 09:39:03 PM »
Yeah, why not.  Been pretty burned out from my main project, so it'll be good to try something else for a bit.
Alright, count me in.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 01:13:47 AM »
I think I'll join this too. It'll be a nice chance to practice making a script with proper Touhouesque visuals. If its at all relevant, I'm planning to use Chen Midboss, Alice Boss.

While I don't think my script will run afoul of it either way, I do have a question about the definition of a "pattern".

...with each nonspell and spell being one pattern...
Does this mean that a pair of Non Spell>Spell Card is one pattern, or would they be considered two patterns?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
While I don't think my script will run afoul of it either way, I do have a question about the definition of a "pattern".
Does this mean that a pair of Non Spell>Spell Card is one pattern, or would they be considered two patterns?

Typically, each nonspell is a pattern, and each spell is a separate pattern. Given that the max number of patterns is 18, I believe that this holds true for this contest.

Trickysticks

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »
Each individual attack, be it a nonspell or a spell or some weird mix of the two, is a pattern. For example a typical extra boss has 8 nonspells and 10 spells or 18 patterns total.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:29:31 AM »
Each individual attack, be it a nonspell or a spell or some weird mix of the two, is a pattern. For example a typical extra boss has 8 nonspells and 10 spells or 18 patterns total.

Ah, alright. I take it this means that a brief spell/nonspell which isn't an attack wouldn't count as a pattern, then?

ExPorygon

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:16 AM »
Ah, alright. I take it this means that a brief spell/nonspell which isn't an attack wouldn't count as a pattern, then?
I'm not sure what you mean, are you referring to something like the "fake" Alice nonspell in PCB that ends on its own after a few seconds? If so, I don't really know what category that would fall under. I would probably not count it as a pattern for purposes of counting.

...with each nonspell and spell being one pattern...
Sorry for the confusion, I just modified the first post to fix that typo. It should read:

...with each nonspell or spell being one pattern...

Bro

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
That's two contests in a row where I've had a 'script' that I've been working on for months that would work perfectly with all of the rules... but I feel like rushing against the time limit is one of the best parts of these types of contests so I'm gonna start something new.

If we put a gimmick into our script like HSiFS's release system would the patterns be judged as though they were played without it, would they be judged based on how well it works with the gimmick, or is there an unspoken rule against gimmicks in these contests? Right now I'm just brainstorming ideas and a few of my ideas rely on gimmicks from the main games in order to be somewhat enjoyable or designed well, but I have no clue if I should actually use such a thing.

Trickysticks

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
If it's something like Cirno's freezing gimmick or ISC's cheat items then it's fair to make using the gimmick mandatory and design the patterns with the gimmick in mind.
Using HSiFS's releases (or cherry borders or other things like that) and shooting literal walls you HAVE to release to get through is a bit iffier to me, but miiight be okay if done right.

It's really subjective but a gimmick done right is really cool. If you have ideas that rely on gimmicks and want to try it, give it a shot!

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »
Are we allowed to have multiple bosses/midbosses from the list on screen?  Either each with their own health bar or with a shared healthbar
I was thinking of midboss Chen and Ran and boss Ran and Yukari

And playable character Seija

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
One Mamizou entry comin' right up, Still gotta think of who to pick as a midboss though.

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 04:05:58 AM »
One Loco Moko heading for this contest.
Custom art by me wooooooo

Trickysticks

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 06:43:14 AM »
Are we allowed to have multiple bosses/midbosses from the list on screen?  Either each with their own health bar or with a shared healthbar
I was thinking of midboss Chen and Ran and boss Ran and Yukari

And playable character Seija
Yes. Try not to go overboard with this and have 9 different bosses with one lifebar each or something ridiculous like that though.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »
I think I'll be participating as well, making it my first time ever to take part in a contest please have mercy.

Planned to have Okina as the main boss. Not sure yet whether to include midbosses or not.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Fujiwara no Mokou

• Hourai Incarnate
  • Oh, so this trial of guts is for ME?
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »
Know what? I think I just might join. I got a lot of positive feedback last time I made a stage.

I think I'll go again this time around.

Junky

• Just Another Scripter
  • *external screams*
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 01:37:32 PM »
This is gonna be the first contest I take part in.
Anyone can be amazing at danmakufu. I believe in you! Push yourself to become the greatest!

(One day I'll become the greatest danmakufu scripter that there ever was.
...Got a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go.)

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »
Alright, I'm joining in. Will be the first stage script I make, probably won't be very good, but a good learning motivator anyway.

Unfortunately with exams coming up I've lost all motivation to code, and I have some other danmakufu projects to attend to. I'll be looking forward to playing the entries.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:50:08 AM by CrestedPeak9 »
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 01:01:46 AM »
Are official midbosses like Chen and Kogasa allowed to be main bosses in the scripts we make?

ExPorygon

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 04:52:25 AM »
Are official midbosses like Chen and Kogasa allowed to be main bosses in the scripts we make?
No, Chen and Kogasa can be midbosses but not the main boss.

As a reminder valid main bosses are any of the following:
Rika, Mugetsu, Gengetsu, Alice Margatroid, Flandre Scarlet, Ran Yakumo, Yukari Yakumo, Fujiwara no Mokou, Suwako Moriya, Koishi Komeiji, Nue Houjuu, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, Raiko Horikawa, Hecatia Lapizlazuli and Okina Matara

Valid midbosses are any of the following:
Mysterious Orb, Trump King, Patchouli Knowledge, Chen, Ran Yakumo, Keine Kamishirasawa, Kanako Yasaka, Sanae Kochiya, Kogasa Tatara, Nue Houjuu, Benben Tsukumo, Yatsuhashi Tsukumo, Doremy Sweet, Mai Teireida and Satono Nishida

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:18 AM »
No, Chen and Kogasa can be midbosses but not the main boss.

As a reminder valid main bosses are any of the following:
Rika, Mugetsu, Gengetsu, Alice Margatroid, Flandre Scarlet, Ran Yakumo, Yukari Yakumo, Fujiwara no Mokou, Suwako Moriya, Koishi Komeiji, Nue Houjuu, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, Raiko Horikawa, Hecatia Lapizlazuli and Okina Matara

Valid midbosses are any of the following:
Mysterious Orb, Trump King, Patchouli Knowledge, Chen, Ran Yakumo, Keine Kamishirasawa, Kanako Yasaka, Sanae Kochiya, Kogasa Tatara, Nue Houjuu, Benben Tsukumo, Yatsuhashi Tsukumo, Doremy Sweet, Mai Teireida and Satono Nishida

Hmmm I was planning to have the midboss assist the main boss for the final spell >< Guess I have to change stuff!

ExPorygon

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:15 AM »
Hmmm I was planning to have the midboss assist the main boss for the final spell >< Guess I have to change stuff!
Well, THAT seems fine actually. As long as it's just an assist and the main boss is on the approved list.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 06:38:40 AM »
Well, THAT seems fine actually. As long as it's just an assist and the main boss is on the approved list.

Woah really? Thanks a lot!