Author Topic: Any Touhou fans in to Yu-Gi-Oh?  (Read 4179 times)

Kuriz

• Flying Gatekeeper of no real significance
  • Watch out for my my Special Attack MOVE!
Any Touhou fans in to Yu-Gi-Oh?
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:07:25 PM »
I'm fairly new to the game, but I just wanna ask if anyone else out here plays YGO. If so, what are your thoughts and opinions on the game as of now?

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: Any Touhou fans in to Yu-Gi-Oh?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
yeah I play it, just casually though with friends. Meta top tier stuff will always be there and wonderfully broken (like the entire game) but I don't touch those. I actually don't mind links even though it does kill a lot of things. The game was getting a little stale between my group and less excited, but the new stuff all seem pretty cool so I'm glad that it's a breath of fresh air. I was actually planning on going to my first locals tomorrow with my scrubby ass raidraptor deck just to see what it's like, but we'll see how it goes.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Kuriz

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
yeah I play it, just casually though with friends.

Damn, I wish I had friends.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
Well, if you can find a game store brave enough to host Yu Gi Oh events then that's probably a good place to start. Most of my friends came from game stores. :D
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
Damn, I wish I had friends.
well, school friends, so I am a little worried for after I graduate in a couple months  :ohdear: since I'm rather terrible at staying in touch. Locals, I guess, can be an answer like cc says.

how are you even playing the game without someone else to play it with? locals?

Well, if you can find a game store brave enough to host Yu Gi Oh events then that's probably a good place to start.
I do hear that yugioh players are notoriously ill mannered.

Kuriz

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »
Well, if you can find a game store brave enough to host Yu Gi Oh events then that's probably a good place to start. Most of my friends came from game stores. :D
I could probably do that, but I'm going to bring a mask to conceal my identity. I'm not comfortable with people seeing my face, or just people knowing me in general.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »

In all honesty, there's no store in my immediate area that will host Yu Gi Oh players. A few have tried and the stores always shut it down because the people it attracts are apparently always disruptive and... thievey.

I could probably do that, but I'm going to bring a mask to conceal my identity. I'm not comfortable with people seeing my face, or just people knowing me in general.

You may want to reconsider that. That's honestly probably not going to help win you friends.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
In all honesty, there's no store in my immediate area that will host Yu Gi Oh players. A few have tried and the stores always shut it down because the people it attracts are apparently always disruptive and... thievey.
do you have any idea if that's specifically a yugioh thing or a general trend of anime/japanese tcgs? My general impression of the community is that yugioh is to the card game community what smash bros is to the fighting game community, lol.

in that case you would stuff mutual interests between yourself and others. If direct bridges are uncomfortable, then that'll be a compromise. Life though does seem like a matter of how willing you are to break out of your molds and self-constraints to get what you really desire. Soo, good luck.
If you're not playing with other people in rl, then there are at least a couple simulators out there, some even with the link mechanic. It would be good to download them so you can test stuff out before purchasing singles and stuffs anyway.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:04:20 PM »
well, school friends, so I am a little worried for after I graduate in a couple months  :ohdear: since I'm rather terrible at staying in touch. Locals, I guess, can be an answer like cc says.

how are you even playing the game without someone else to play it with? locals?

More than other games?

You may want to reconsider that. That's honestly probably not going to help win you friends.

RIP my secret rare Ehren ;_; Also, the mask is a dumb idea. It will only make you stick out more. Just show up. Unless you have something glaringly distinctive about you, they will probably say hi to you, and then forget you exist the moment you leave the event. You honestly have to try to make people remember you. If you just want to do baby steps take a shop and show up during while there's no event. Less people might make it easier, and you can work your way up from there.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 08:13:44 PM »
do you have any idea if that's specifically a yugioh thing or a general trend of anime/japanese tcgs? My general impression of the community is that yugioh is to the card game community what smash bros is to the fighting game community, lol.

It's a Yu Gi Oh thing specifically. Pokemon doesn't have that problem. And none of the others really have any traction. Although I have a buddy who's trying his damnedest to make Dragoborn a thing.