Author Topic: Modern jazz references in Tokyo Active Neets medleys  (Read 3426 times)

Modern jazz references in Tokyo Active Neets medleys
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »
So I've been listening to Tokyo Active Neets a lot recently and, being a trumpet player, I found two references to non-doujin jazz in their Ten Desires medley.

• Sanctuary / St. Delusion - Strasbourg / St. Denis by Roy Hargrove. I played this one in a small Jazz band so I instantly recognized the reference
  • What About Mummy - What About Me by Snarky Puppy. This one took me a while to figure out but I always felt like it had a Snarky Puppy feel to it (I played a song by them as well, not this one though). I don't know many of their songs by name but I did listen to a playlist full of them a few times so I know their songs by their melodies. I just did a quick YouTube search and What About Me came up

I really want to believe that the rest of this medley (and maybe other songs by TAN) are jazz references but I can't figure out the other songs. Are there any other jazz lovers here who could share their divine knowledge?

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Re: Modern jazz references in Tokyo Active Neets medleys
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
I think only True Administrator and Sadistic Yuan Xian are not parody tracks, since those two are done in their usual style. The titles don't seem to parody anything either. I'm not a jazz expert, so I have no idea about which tracks they parody. Though, some people in the comments section of the video mentioned some other sources:
Michel Camilo - Sandrine I (Suite Kasodanine I)
Chick Corea & Elektric Band - Got a Match? (Got a Marionette)

Re: Modern jazz references in Tokyo Active Neets medleys
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
I think only True Administrator and Sadistic Yuan Xian are not parody tracks, since those two are done in their usual style. The titles don't seem to parody anything either. I'm not a jazz expert, so I have no idea about which tracks they parody. Though, some people in the comments section of the video mentioned some other sources:
Michel Camilo - Sandrine I (Suite Kasodanine I)
Chick Corea & Elektric Band - Got a Match? (Got a Marionette)

Thanks! I love how they basically took a few jazz tracks and infused them with 2hu awesomeness!

I also think that Sadistic Yuan Xian and True Administrator sound like their other songs so they may not be parodies/references, but what about Down in the Mausoleum and Racoon's Welfare? The former sounds like it's an original song (without any elements from a more well-known jazz song), while the latter does sound more funky/groovey than their usual songs so it may be a reference to something.