Author Topic: Oh, a new touhou game...  (Read 7654 times)

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
Oh, a new touhou game...
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
Link is dead. Thanks to Bigyihsuan for the repost! http://a.pomf.cat/hgfbiw.zip
Mediafire mirror by Tom: https://www.mediafire.com/file/sdugq6de9xpq4l8/hgfbiw.zip

Huh. Just noticed this last Monday... The Outside World's sure been busy this summer. Another Touhou game, another reason to be drawn out of hiding.

Jade Backdoor
(Dunno if this link'll last forever. Mirrors and community efforts are your friend, forum.)

As with any new game (LoLK aside -- autobombing is more of a hinderance) I've cooked up the usual hacks and then some for HSiFS.
- Place the exe and the config file in your Touhou 16 folder (wherever your th16.exe is).
- Open the config file with notepad and change the values to your heart's contents.
- Now run the program and a patched "th16.patched.exe" will be created with your changes.

What's available?
- Autobombing.
- Boss rush. Of sorts. (The days of TD/DDC's boss-rush are long-gone from the game engine but...)
- Use the 5th Season in a regular run.
- Use any season in the Extra Stage.
- Spell practice with a full season charge.
- Configure starting lives.

Alright. Being away from the boundary between hacks and codes for too long makes my skin crawl. Too many cellphones and normal people out here. 'Til next incident!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:28:33 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Oh, a new touhou game...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »
Nice! Thanks Ethan!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
Link's down.

Also, hey, you're back! (for a game at least :P)

EDIT: I uploaded it to pomf.cat just so that there's a mirror. a.pomf.cat/hgfbiw.zip

I've also attached it to this post. Gotta make sure this down's go down.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:08:10 PM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Ethan you still alive? i'd like to ask you some stuff if so. also your "eathan silvers junkpile" is a dead link. :(
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:20:07 AM by dawnbomb »
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »
Ethan you still alive? i'd like to ask you some stuff if so. also your "eathan silvers junkpile" is a dead link. :(
Your request has filtered through the gap between codes and hacks. Ask ahead! :)
(That site's been down for insert-large-number insert-time-unit. I just haven't updated my signature in same-amount-of-time.)

Also, thanks Biggy for reposting the files -- I'll update the first post. May the squids quiver blissfully along your way!

Latest works
The Strongest

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
I was really surprised to see a post from you - it's been a few years.

But glad to see you're back in action for the time being.

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
Your request has filtered through the gap between codes and hacks. Ask ahead! :)
(That site's been down for insert-large-number insert-time-unit. I just haven't updated my signature in same-amount-of-time.)

Also, thanks Biggy for reposting the files -- I'll update the first post. May the squids quiver blissfully along your way!

ahh...!
i wanted to ask how you got each floor in loT1 to have a new floor and minimap tile set. i just released a demo for special disk deluxe using some of the assets you had for your project (as almost noone was playing it, and it's nice assets) and thought per floor floors/minimaps would be awesome as i gave each floor a stylish hud to keep them unique from one another.

there are more things i could do, like have more overlay images for each floor, but im lazy and kinda ready to say im done with the project. i actually tried messaging you few months ago when i first had the project idea but got no response :(

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:57:06 AM »
(Ugh... it's already been over a week? I knew getting back into ROM hacking would end up doing this to me again... Sorry about the delayed response. x_x)

The purpose of a hack is to be a showcase of changes to the game's engine or mechanics. Which is what LoTR was. You'll find a number of the features unique to it are the result of some x86 assembly work, not something the original game made available out of the box.

If you're willing/able to work on your own implementation I can offer quite a bit of advice. The game will reload its assets whenever a floor is loaded regardless of how it was entered (from town or while already in the dungeon). My implementation involved replacing the code which loads the tileset asset with code that fetches the filename from a table containing my own tileset filenames using the current floor ID as an index. I then included those files into the game's graphics archive.

If not, I've been considering updating my LoT (not sure if I have the latest; probably not) and making something like Jade Backdoor for it after I get a few personal projects out of the way (on an unrelated note if anyone knows of a good, eco-friendly way to dispose of large quantities of tumor-riddled and slightly irradiated squid carcasses, I'm all ears). I'll consider adding an option/system for multiple tilesets; you could include it as part of the build/installation process in your compilation project. I'm open to requests for other similar features if this interests you, once I get around to working on this one. Let me know and I'll start up a more appropriate discussion thread, promptly forget about it for a few weeks, and return with the ready-made program following that.  :V

Latest works
The Strongest

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
if you mean make some kind of editor / program to easily change things, i think everyone can agree labyrinth of touhou 2 would be much better for one. it would be cool to use it to make a lunatic difficulty mod. but if thats what your asking (i think it is?) i'd most defiantly be down to have a program to use. i'm not the most dev-savvy on the code side, so a program would help alot.

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
Mediafire mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/file/sdugq6de9xpq4l8/hgfbiw.zip

I could also host this on my own file server at http://file.lunarcast.net if I am allowed...