Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 7 - To Misc or not to Misc  (Read 137352 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 7 - To Misc or not to Misc
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »
On some older computers the input lag seen on newer computers with the older games doesn't exist, so vpatch is seen as evening the playing field. That being said, even newer games seem to all have an inherent 1-frame input lag on any setup, so in these cases vpatch to remove it would be giving yourself an unnatural advantage. Royalflare discourages submissions using vpatch even though there's no way they could tell, so it isn't as though it's entirely seen as acceptable. For that matter, calling it cheating or an advantage only makes sense in the context of a competition anyways. That aside, removing any and all input lag seems like it would be the ideal conditions of play regardless (i.e. the developer didn't intend for there to be input lag) so some may argue that it shouldn't be framed as "having advantages over others" to begin with.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:26:44 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2018, 04:41:01 PM »
Not sure if this is the thread for this sort of question since I'm new, but after reading the rules and stuff, this seems to be the best place?

So I was trying to look for Eastern Starlight Romance because I just found out about it today. The main site (http://dsd.faceroll.net/) is down and the last time it was archived on archive.org was September 2017; maybe the site disappeared shortly after.  There's a 2010-2011 MotK thread about Demo 2 being released, with defunct download links, and a 2016 Reddit thread directing to the not functional website.

Does anybody know what happened to the project, and if there's any way I can get + play it?
The site is back up and they posted an update:
SleepKirby says:   
March 22, 2018 at 10:26 pm   

Oh, uh, hi. I guess one of us should turn on proper notifications for these blog comments again, huh?

It probably would be a good idea for us to make a new post here too. But I?ll want to discuss with the others first. For now, quick notes:

- Yes, faceroll.net was down for a couple of weeks from the beginning of March. I was uneasy too, but I asked Iced and he got word from Sigma that it was a planned downtime. It did go longer than planned, though, because they had some network config troubles. If you see any nginx warning messages on the blog, that?s probably related to server/network changes as well.

- Graph is still around on and off too. He was doing some editing, effects and art in 2017.

- I didn?t get around to doing much at all last year, but this year I intend to change that. I?ve entered 5 new days into Renpy code, and currently working on 3 more.

- The Renpy coding is still a good way behind the writing in terms of story progress, so even though the writers are busy, I can keep going for a little while. Eventually though, writing will be the bottleneck, so we?ll see what can be done there.

Hope to have a better update for you all soon. I think it?s really cool that people are still checking on ESR?s status (very sorry for the complete radio silence here, though!), and I?m certainly feeling motivated to keep my current momentum thanks to your support.

« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
Not sure if the question qualifies, but I suppose I should post it here anyway.

I could be wrong, but we used to have a thread here in the forums on updates and news about ZUN, right?  It'd translate some of his more important tweets, appearances and quote things he'd say in interviews and all.  I wonder if that thread could be revived sometime, it'd be nice - as a non-japanese speaker - to know what he's up to.  Plus, I remember he'd give slight hints he was developing a game (that later turned out ot be HSiFS), so early-signs of a new release are always nice!

Drake

« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2018, 10:47:05 AM »
He hasn't been nearly as active recently, mostly showing for Nikenme (which I like to pore over but don't always have time to) and not tweeting much besides these. I find it highly likely he's gotten comfortable working quietly, and is busy being a dad during 90% of the rest. I'll think about making one again the next time something pops up (note Nikenme is probably tomorrow in Japan).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:49:11 AM by Drake »

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »
Aw, that's totally understandable.  Being a dad is very important after all, and if I remember he's got his 2nd child now, right?  Either way, thank you very much for the answer Drake!  Let's hope he has some news soon!

Kinedyme

• Dream Magic - Duplex Spark!
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
When you encounter little fairies and other small fry during the stage portion of a Touhou game, are those fairies using spell cards too? Or are all their attacks non-spells?

« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »
I assume that if there's no spell card name on screen, it's not a spell card.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2018, 03:39:40 AM »
Anyone think the series is worthy to be considered the king of indie/doujin games?  At least in Japan?

« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2018, 04:51:53 AM »
I think Minecraft is more popular worldwide than Touhou.

Touhou can be the queen though....but it would be out of character for it to be married to minecraft.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
Anyone think the series is worthy to be considered the king of indie/doujin games?  At least in Japan?

Depends on how you measure it, but I think Fate Stay Night is probably the most successful series that started as doujin and the series that gets the most doujins made based on it. That said, it went commercial a while ago so maybe it doesn't count anymore.

Just in terms of raw metrics, Touhou is like 3rd or 4th most popular at Comiket, last I checked.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2018, 12:14:51 AM »
So i was reading through IaMP profiles and noticed how Alice's says "She is a kind of so called humanoid youkai" (所謂、人妖のたぐいである。), and uses the same 人妖 that was then used in the infamous chapter of FS to describe those humans-turned youkai like the fortune-teller. Should it be changed to "She is a kind of so called jinyou"?
Would it mean Alice (and any human-turned-magician) is explicitly in the same "forbidden class" as the fortune-teller and we can remove that huge "what constitutes a jinyou" speculation thing from the jinyou page?

Edit: rephrasing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:42:34 AM by PK »

« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2018, 02:14:26 AM »
It isn't forbidden for humans to become youkai, it's forbidden for villagers to become youkai. Humans from the vilkage and humans from the outside world (or anywhere else for that matter) have two completely different sets of rules they have to follow. Since we don't know how old Alice is (she could predate Gensokyo) or where she's from (PC98's canon is questionable) it's not too clear whether or not she's in the "forbidden class" or not. It's the same reason Byakuren didn't get a gohei to the head despite being a human turned youkai.

Though I don't know the answer to the other things you were asking.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Drake

« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2018, 02:15:10 AM »
I highly doubt ZUN thought about these (this) characters back then relating to what they mean for the balance of Gensokyo in the same way as he would now, and probably wouldn't have used the term 人妖 until recently (i.e., this development was made and introduced for FS). Remember that the human village barely even existed as a concept back in IaMP. This also means that what constitutes a jinyou is not helped at all by this.

Since we don't know how old Alice is (she could predate Gensokyo)
Alice is stated in PMiSS to be a fairly new Magician. Before this she was human, so she's likely not a whole lot older than she appears, if at all.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:19:02 AM by Drake »

« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
Just from her non-Japanese name I would assume that Alice was never a villager in the first place though.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
I highly doubt ZUN thought about these (this) characters back then relating to what they mean for the balance of Gensokyo in the same way as he would now, and probably wouldn't have used the term 人妖 until recently (i.e., this development was made and introduced for FS). Remember that the human village barely even existed as a concept back in IaMP. This also means that what constitutes a jinyou is not helped at all by this.

Alice is stated in PMiSS to be a fairly new Magician. Before this she was human, so she's likely not a whole lot older than she appears, if at all.
Well, yes. But "jinyou" seems more the definition of a class of youkai than a crime thing, no? The same japanese term is also used in Remilia's PMiSS article (translated as half-human half-youkai this time), and the village was already a thing at that point, even without defined rules.
Maybe i shouldn't have called it a forbidden class (my point wasn't even about Alice breaking the balance), but by definition, with or without Gensokyo's rules, a human that becomes a youkai would still be a jinyou, even if they did it 1000 years ago in China and Reimu can't legally do shit about it.
What i am saying is that the rules coming later don't make magicians like Alice and Byakuren non-jinyou, just jinyou not subject to the rules.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:30:16 AM by PK »

Drake

« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
Probably, but until further confirmation I think it'd be best not to explicitly assume that categorization as a matter of fact? I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to change "humanoid youkai" to "jinyou" when the intention wasn't obviously the same "jinyou" as we now see it, but the term as used in Remilia's article and Alice's blurb can both carry the implication of "human-turned-youkai", so sure, maybe you could say that it's more appropriate than the existing wording. I think I would need some extra opinions from the native side of the fandom.

Kinedyme

• Dream Magic - Duplex Spark!
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »
I've read that after a kitsune with nine tails reaches 1000 years of age, they begin losing tails once more until they have four.
If this is true, then can one tell the difference between a four-tailed kitsune who is 300 years old and one who is 1000+ years old?

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
Kitsune with nine tails also have their fur turn white or gold and it stays that way.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
Heya

So, once upon a time, me ears stumbled upon some rumors 'bout an "official" map of Gensokyo set to be shown off in one of the official magazines

Now, due to, uh, certain "reasons", I haven't exactly followed properly on this and can't confirm any fact pertaining to that, so I'd like to ask 1/if anyone's got relevant informations regarding that : is it a thing or just some random rumors ? The lack of updates despite the elapsed time is making me curious.

Also, speaking of facts I can't confirm, I've also heard that somewhere in that one stream that involves talks about properly getting Touhou to Steam, ZUN supposedly gave some kind of explanation about how Okina's ability works : 2/ is that a thing ? And if it is, can I haz some manner of summary about it ? cuz I'm not exactly the best when it comes to understanding spoken japanese language ...

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:07:39 PM by Suspicious person »

« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2018, 05:38:34 AM »
There's no "official map" but the Strange Creators magazine last time had a new feature where the writer is examining clues from EoSD to form a diagram of Gensokyo (presumably the first part of a series). So far all they have is that there's a forest somewhere between the Hakurei Shrine and the Misty Lake. It's more like "Let's map Gensokyo together!"

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »
So apparently, Sakuya has superhuman strength, because she's can carry something like this all by herself?

Drake

« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »
I mean, it's kind of for comedic value. You could take that to mean something if you want.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »
I mean, it's kind of for comedic value. You could take that to mean something if you want.
Reddit says there was another instance where she carried a giant catfish all the way to Heaven, which further proves her strength...  When did that happen?

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
Kinda makes me wonder if there's any fan material that ever made a gag of her throwing around kriegsmessers like they were nothing because they're technically still "just" knives.

Drake

« Reply #234 on: June 24, 2018, 09:09:43 PM »
Reddit says there was another instance where she carried a giant catfish all the way to Heaven, which further proves her strength...  When did that happen?
That's literally the same scene. That ending is a party they threw in Heaven. Sakuya says she caught the catfish on the mountain, and Alice retorts that there's no way she caught a catfish that large on the mountain and she must have brought it. Note how nobody questions this.

If you really needed an explanation, which you really don't, magic should probably be the first thing to look at...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:14:30 PM by Drake »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »
Does anyone know anything about nine-tailed foxes starting to lose tails until they have four, and then become a "Tenko"?
That's what is written in Ran's wiki article, but wherever i look i only see stuff about nine-tailed foxes becoming golden/white when they are 1000 years old, getting some weird powers like omniscience, and being called Tenko. Nothing about losing tails.

Drake

« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2018, 11:36:59 PM »
There's a bit of a problem in that there are a bunch of different mythologies surrounding foxes. In one you'll see around, there's a ranking of 野狐 (yako, common foxes)・気狐 (kiko)・空狐 (kuuko)・天狐 (tenko) where tenko have 9 tails and that's just it, and there isn't necessarily any other tail-specific stuff. In another you have where after 1000 years one becomes a tenko, with 9 tails, but after 3000 years they become a kuuko with 4 tails (i.e. kuuko higher than tenko instead), and if they became a god they wouldn't have any. Then in some cases it's tenko with 4 tails and kuuko with none. And then of course there's no real reason to adhere to any of these.

Honestly I think I'll remove this from the wiki page entirely because there's absolutely no basis to this within the series on top of the mythology being so varied. In fact, Akyuu sort of implies in Ran's PMiSS article that there wouldn't be anything beyond.

« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
This one isn't really a question about Canon. But I felt like asking it for an fanfic I hope to write someday.

Is there any way the idea of Impurity causing a Lunarian to die from old age could make sense? Obviously, simple exposer impurity wouldn't cause it, since Eirin and Kaguya seem to be doing just fine living on earth. But perhaps, if it was being built up over a long period of time, without the victim knowing ahead of time and doing nothing to dispel it, it could somehow cause them to die of natural causes? Is this even possible?

For the record, my idea is an ancient Lunarian noble dies from old age (or possibly in their sleep), and Yorihime has to figure out why it happened since their death could mean the moon is being tainted by impurity at a rate not ever seen before in its history. Will she solve it in time? I don't know yet.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2018, 10:54:54 PM »
Eirin and Kaguya are doing fine on Earth because they are Hourai immortals.
The Watatsuki and Sagume had no problems dealing with youkai and coming to Gensokyo though, so maybe brief exposure doesn't do much. Yorihime has a power to purify stuff too.

I'm also sure it was stated somewhere, probably in CiLR, that impurity is outright what makes everything age and die, and that Lunarians themselves don't actually have infinite lifespans because they aren't 100% pure, so the idea of a lunarian dying because of that isn't impossible. However, the Lunar Capital has those neat udonge plants that detect impurity, so it would be weird if they didn't notice an increase in impurity.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:57:55 PM by PK »

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »
I remember it is mentioned elsewhere that there are some "Pure Lands" on Earth where there's little to no Impurities, so Lunarians can stroll around in them without contamination. Eientei seems to reside on top of one such "Pure Land".

Also, brief minimal exposure to Impurities probably won't affect Lunarians in any way, like how brief exposure to minute amounts of radiation won't harm us humans (if not, then the radiation our gadgets emit would've killed us all already).
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...