Author Topic: Avelantis: when conlangs have their own STGs  (Read 4169 times)

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Avelantis: when conlangs have their own STGs
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Tired of understanding a small amount of the text in an STG?
Tired of being able to read your score?
Tired of (umm, I'm running out of things to say...)

Video 1 | Video 2

Avelantis is an STG made by Nias, but what makes it unusual is that all the text is in a constructed language called Arka.

There are currently only 3 stages in the game. I guess this is a demo version that was abandoned at some time. Regardless, it's an interesting game.

The game is pretty stingy on lives. You get your first extend on Stage 3 (at 150 point items). (Heck, even TD gives you an extend on Stage 2 if you play it right!) The Stage 3 midboss drops a 1-up as well. Luckily, you also have barriers. When you have one charged up, the gauge on the lower-left corner will turn blue and the next time you get hit, your barrier just gets used up and starts charging again. Keep in mind that barrier breaks fail spell cards.

As expected, there's a PIV in the game (called "yuno"). It increases just by waiting, but I think you can increase it faster through grazing or cancelling bullets. The PIV affects the value of point items (no surprise) and spell cards.

You can also practice stages and boss attacks (even nonspells!) and save and load replays. However, there's a desync bug that affects scoring.

Download and explanation (in Japanese)

Addenda (added 14 August 2017): I got 155 million on Normal (replay attached). Unfortunately, I'm now at the point where almost every attempt ends in dying in Stage 1 to something silly.
Also, barrier charging is based on yuno gain. You need 50k yuno to go from empty to full.

Last of all, if you're curious, the characters are named
Spoiler:
Xiki/Shiki (playable character), Yuuki (playable character), Lanvem (stage 1 midboss), Gimel (stage 1 boss), Eris Alvanos (stage 2 boss) and Salan Galveeyu (stage 3 boss).
The names do get weird.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:38:59 PM by Uruwi »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Re: Avelantis: when conlangs have their own STGs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Sorry for the necro bump, but I've been working on scoring a lot, and now my PB is 426,077,200 on Easy.

Easy seems to be the best difficulty for scoring since the scoring system doesn't yield more points on higher difficulties (as far as I know) and certain patterns are easier to graze and/or speedkill on Easy. I also used unfocused movement quite a bit and stopped shooting at some places, since both of those generate yuno faster, and being high up on the screen speeds up yuno gain as well.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200