Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 Report Completed!  (Read 79121 times)

Spoiler:
Junko 2.0
, as I've seen some people call her.

Something I like about
Spoiler:
Okina
is that she's basically
Spoiler:
Yukari 2.0, if you ask me. Like, "if ZUN made a character nowadays that served a similar role in the story as Yukari, this is what that character would be."
I think it's pretty neat.

Drake

Spoiler:
Agree. Really wondering where he's going to take her because there's no way we won't be seeing her a lot more in future works.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Something I like about
Spoiler:
Okina
is that she's basically
Spoiler:
Yukari 2.0, if you ask me. Like, "if ZUN made a character nowadays that served a similar role in the story as Yukari, this is what that character would be."
I think it's pretty neat.

Spoiler:
Okina's development is going to be really interesting, I hope. This can give rise to expanding on origin stories or Gensokyo's daily functions. It has a lot of potential.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
So
Spoiler:
she's also a demon of some kind? Could this have something to do with her door having very similar signs as Byakuren's scroll from Makai?
Spoiler:
A rakshasa or yaksha demon
in the Buddhist sense, maybe.

Not mentioned in my last post, but more significant to HSiFS's story, is that under the umbrella of "hindrance", Matara-jin is also argued to contain a strand of origin with the tengu
Spoiler:
(brought up in Aya's story),
as "path-blocking gods" 塞の神 "Sai no Kami" or "Sae no Kami", which is what Aya's 塞符 (for many years translated "Cork Sign", now changed to "Blockade Sign" on the wiki) in MoF came from.

Also known as Dōsojin, they are primitive gods who keep misfortune and evil out of village borders. I'm not too keen with wikipedia saying that Dōsojin "fused" with Sai no Kami in later tellings, since primitive worship of Sai no Kami/Dōsojin must necessarily have existed far earlier than the carefully pruned creation myth in history books.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:29:11 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
adfadfasdfadfaaadfdav
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:35:29 AM by game2011 »

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
You'd better delete that post unless you want to take a week-long vacation...
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Spoiler:
R.I.P. ZUN's grandmother.  (1922 ~ 2017).  ZUN dedicated TH16's omake text to his memories growing up with his Grandmother at Nagano.  It really shows how her passing hit him hard, and how she has been a big influence over him and Touhou.

OrbOrigin

• "The galaxy of light is calling me!"
Spoiler:
Okina's development is going to be really interesting, I hope. This can give rise to expanding on origin stories or Gensokyo's daily functions. It has a lot of potential.

Spoiler:
Especially if ZUN is more than happy to explore her characters even further with these options:
1. Publishing a brand new book in a similar vein to Symposium of Post Mysticism that hold any important information in second Modern Windows era games, from Double Dealing Character to Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom. Yes, that's also including some interquel games like Hopeless Masquerade and Urban Legend in Limbo.
2. A brand new chapter of Wild and Horned Hermit that explores the relationship between Kasen and Okina.

Spoiler:
In terms of personality, her profile mention this: "She shows no mercy to those who act rudely to her, and grants blessings to those who treat her with reverence. Fearsome as an enemy and reliable as an ally, she's the classic example of a god." It is possible her personality is a hybrid between Kasen and Yukari: a jovial, easygoing, and understanding person towards her allies and those who respects her which she believes they deserve her respect based on their beliefs and actions, but towards her enemies, she's quite ruthless and vicious, especially if she is provoked. Judging by her dialog in Reimu's extra, it seems Reimu have her respect before the fight ensues. It is possible that Okina will become another mentor to Reimu (and to the lesser extent Marisa) in the future, especially when dealing with outsiders.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:21:38 AM by OrbOrigin »

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
You'd better delete that post unless you want to take a week-long vacation...
???

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I don't think an error on trying to open the game is really a piracy-centric problem, though.

Meanwhile, the game seems really fun! Unfortunately it still feels like autumn is way better than the other seasons as long as you don't ram into enemies. But, I did a run with Spring and it was really fun to clear the screen at once and get tons of PIV. Wonder what score runs will look like for all the different seasons. It's worth noting that the PIV gain per cancelled bullet goes up drastically with season level- even if you clear the same number of bullets, it seems like you could get 10k PIV from a lv6 release or next to nothing from a lv1 release.

Also it seems that the thcrap patch already features 100% translation! I didn't read most of it but it seems to be quality as far as I looked, unlike LoLK where for a week the endings were machine translated garbage.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:49:41 AM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

I read a handful of the Thcrap translations and man.  What a read!

Spoiler:
part of me can't help but feel upset for the stage 5 bosses though?  It feels like Okina treats them quite poorly, uses them as tools and, even if the whole idea of getting new servants was a lie, it's still kind of  sucky she'd just casually toss them away for others.

... Oh god, it's like DDC's plot all over again! 

Spoiler:
I actually got the same impression but for entirely opposite reasons. Their profile says they were originally humans, but due to Okina's influence they're beginning to lose their humanity. It seemed to me less that Okina's throwing them away and more that she really can't afford to keep them around without it being dangerous to them.

Of course, Okina didn't care about replacing them in the first place and was perfectly happy continuing to use them. So like I said, same impression but for opposite reasons.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Spoiler:
I actually got the same impression but for entirely opposite reasons. Their profile says they were originally humans, but due to Okina's influence they're beginning to lose their humanity. It seemed to me less that Okina's throwing them away and more that she really can't afford to keep them around without it being dangerous to them.

Of course, Okina didn't care about replacing them in the first place and was perfectly happy continuing to use them. So like I said, same impression but for opposite reasons.

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's hard to tell for sure if her initial idea of replacing them would be out of pity/mercy, or simply because they've outlived their usefulness. 

Sucks that despite being two characters for the price of one, Okina more or less takes all of the spotlight for herself and manages to make her character feel like 5 while their characters feel like 0.5.  All things said, that's fitting for 'back dancers' who aren't usually noticed.

I hope that in some future works they get a bit more of their individuality (even as a duo) shown! 

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
I don't think an error on trying to open the game is really a piracy-centric problem, though.
Yeah, from what I can tell, seems to be the usual "forgot to install files from the DirectX Redistributable Package" kind of deal.

I am only one who though this when meeting the 4th boss?
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Excluding endings, all other form of spoilers or discussion is okay!

Do not forget that we also have Touhou Addict Recovery Center for your discussion of Touhou.

Have a nice day!

Meanwhile, the game seems really fun! Unfortunately it still feels like autumn is way better than the other seasons as long as you don't ram into enemies.

RIP me, that is literally the reason why autumn is my worst season. As a non-scorer Spring was definitely the easiest to use for survivability :P

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Enko

• Spirit flying to anywhere
Interesting thing:
Spoiler:
ZUN forgot to lock the resources in spell practice so you may get the certain score and luckily get the life and then miss and then you can get bombs!Amazing!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:35:07 PM by Yanstime »
Need help with C# DX developing.

so it seems like this oversight from the demo is still in the game.
Interesting thing:
Spoiler:
ZUN forgot to lock the resources in spell practice so you may get the certain score and luckily get the life and then miss and then you can get bombs!Amazing!

Nice. Always fun to see silly bugs and oversights like these.

Speaking of which, did this Winter DPS bug get fixed or no?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:44:24 PM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Did some really scrubby damage testing versus Stage 4 boss' first spellcard, which I can dodge with fairly minimal interference from bullets. The timer is 30 seconds, time listed is what's on the clock at clear time. This is with Summer in positions where no summer bullets hit the boss.

Reimu: 13.2 seconds (aka, she took about 17 seconds to clear the card)
Aya: 12.5 seconds (17.5 clear)
Marisa: 15 seconds (15 clear)

Cirno varies due to spread shot.
9 seconds, 21 clear (max distance)
12 seconds, 18 clear (mid distance that you're most likely to be at in general situations)
14.5 seconds, 15.5 clear (a couple character lengths away)
16 seconds, 14 clear (shotgun tier, some summer bullets hitting admittedly)

For non-Cirno shots, winter lets you clear about 2 seconds faster, Spring is 1.5 seconds faster, and autumn is inbetween those two if you move to the side a bit for Aya or Reimu (marisa would lose laser hits to do this). Keep in mind spell practice mode is lv3 season, not max. Still, it seems that the damage difference isn't significant between seasons unless you're at max level- granted, they have much different areas of hitting, and summer is... yeah.

I speculate that Reimu with ONLY her homing shots would take about 35 seconds to clear the card, meaning that pretty close (or exactly?) half of her damage is homing. Spring deals a negligible amount of homing damage by itself, and only brings speculated clear time down to like 32- of course, this is only lv3 spring, though.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Very useful information. I like Spring for stages, primarily, and for the massive clearance you from activating it. I don't count on it for dealing with bosses. Guess I'll be exploring other seasons!

Also, even though I find the music in this one not as catchy, the exception there would be Okina's theme, which I've been whistling and humming for the past couple days now.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Yeah, Spring is fun and those big clears are really satisfying, but on bosses it quickly becomes a Summer without the low season cost, so it's not quite so good for survival. Winter might have potential for dropping ontop of bosses at the least, but I dunno about it yet... might be good. Summer seems good for lots of small pops to survive, although I've died a bunch trying to treat it like a bomb- you can't keep moving or you'll just ram the bullet two inches away.

Autumn is like the strong points of all three seasons combined. You get summer's shield, it lasts a long time like Winter, it follows you so you can run about without dying like Spring, and ontop of that the duration is pretty decent even at lv1 to clear out bullets and earn breathing room... and get enough season items back to cast it again and again. Of course, then you tackle a big fairy and kill yourself, so the main thing is learning your limits.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:23:09 PM by Serela »

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
Tfw ZUN gives a new character the same name as a PC-98 and all of your hope that ZUN cares about PC-98 is destroyed...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Tfw ZUN gives a new character the same name as a PC-98 and all of your hope that ZUN cares about PC-98 is destroyed...
They are not the same. One is called マイ and the other is called 丁礼田 舞

As an aside, (most people might already know this), the sages were mentioned as early as Perfect Memento in the Sixth Sense, where Akyu on several occasions remarks it's thanks to them (and more specifically, their creating of the barrier) that Gensokyo is the paradise it is, today.  For the longest time, despite sages being plural, the only confirmed one was Yukari (implied in PMiSS, confirmed in Reimu & Yukari's dialogue with Yuugi in SA. "Sages" was plural there, too).

Many years later, (WAHH spoilers)
Spoiler:
Kasen was finally confirmed to be one in a recent Wild and Horned Hermit chapter while she was talking with Yukari (although it was indirectly shown before that in Urban Legend in Limbo when Kasen went through the Hakurei barrier "in the name of the sage".  Back then Refuge in Audacity took place and no one really noticed).  By the present day, however, Kasen is no longer directly working with Yukari (which is something Yukari seems genuinely sad about).

So Okina being a sage who's duty is to protect Gensokyo isn't really a retcon at all.  Just a really really reeeeeeaaaally freakishly long call-back.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:59:24 PM by Tiamat »

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
So Okina being a sage who's duty is to protect Gensokyo isn't really a retcon at all.  Just a really really reeeeeeaaaally freakishly long call-back.

I'm surprised people even considered the retcon, as it was pretty much confirmed explicity in ULiL and WaHH that there were multiple sages and since it was a topic that have been brought a lot recently, it feels kinda expected that we finally see another sage.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
That's nothing. The real shock is that all three sages dress similarly, with a "tabard" from ceremonial Chinese robes over a frilly (hence purely Western) skirt.

Child servants being treated badly
Probably a continuation of the "post-Bubble corporate life sucks" theme, which is front and center in LoLK, and features in Kyouko's interview in Alternative Facts. At least that's what Japanese players felt. They were rather dismayed at the suggestion that even in Gensokyo you have to do a laborious job interview with a demanding boss.

And if you beat HSiFS on Lunatic, you
Spoiler:
get Okina commend you worthy of being her underling in the final "thanks for playing" message
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:35:06 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter