Author Topic: Fullscreen NP2?  (Read 17543 times)

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
Fullscreen NP2?
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:16:26 AM »
How do I set Neko Project 21 to fullscreen? Just selecting the fullscreen option under the screen tab doesn't work, it makes my screen black with a copy of the toolbar at the top and the window in the middle for a few seconds and then reverts to window mode. This will be really helpful as I think making the game screen larger would help me to focus on it more.

Re: Fullscreen NP2?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:53 AM »
By default, Neko Project II fullscreen tries to set your screen resolution to 640x480 (same resolution as Touhou games 6-13).
If that's not working, I suggest having Neko Project II stretch to your current screen resolution. This is also better than 640x480 since NP2 can then properly fill the vertical screen estate of your monitor.

Under Screen > Screen option > Fullscreen, check "No change screen resolution", set "Zoom" to "Adjust aspect".
I also recommend setting Screen > Stretch Filter, to allow the game to be scaled bilinearly instead of with nearest-neighbor (smooth & uniform pixels instead of sharp & uneven pixels).
Then attempt fullscreen by pressing Alt+Enter.

Something to note is that PC-98 games (including Touhou 1-5) were designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, but are stretched to 16:10 in emulators.
If you feel like playing PC-98 games with the correct 4:3 aspect ratio, set your PC screen resolution to something 4:3 (e.g. 1280x960) and change NP2's Fullscreen Zoom mode to "Full". More details here: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,11117.msg1343964.html#msg1343964
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »
I can't set my main screen's resolution to 640x480, and that second suggestion you had for me didn't work either.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
I can't set my main screen's resolution to 640x480, and that second suggestion you had for me didn't work either.
er, NP2 is supposed to set your screen to 640x480 for you.
What configuration(s) did you try and what happened?
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »
I did exactly what you said, and none of it worked. Is it because I'm using Windows 8? (My desktop resolution options literally do not include 640x480 - the lowest one is 1024x768. NP2 probably failed to set my screen resolution because of that.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:00:32 AM by Goomba98 »

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
Shouldn't matter. The reason you don't see that resolution under Windows options is because Microsoft removed it for desktop resolution. It will still work just fine otherwise like in games when the game requests it. If you have any of the Windows Touhou games below 14, they all run natively in 640x480.

It's odd that it refuses to go into fullscreen though. You should be able to do that in the emulator by just selecting fullscreen. I don't know why that would be causing a problem. Only thing I can think of right now is checking if your graphics card drivers are up to date.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
Only thing I can think of right now is checking if your graphics card drivers are up to date.
How do I do that?

EDIT: If it helps, I've attached a video showing what it looks like when I try to go fullscreen. (Note that I don't see the part where the background turns white - I don't know why Bandicam sees that.)
EDIT 2: Updating my graphics card driver didnn't help. I think the problem lies within the emulator itself. Am I using an outdated version? Should I be using a different executable than np21nt.exe?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:02:28 AM by Goomba98 »

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:52:01 AM »
How do I do that?

EDIT: If it helps, I've attached a video showing what it looks like when I try to go fullscreen. (Note that I don't see the part where the background turns white - I don't know why Bandicam sees that.)
EDIT 2: Updating my graphics card driver didnn't help. I think the problem lies within the emulator itself. Am I using an outdated version? Should I be using a different executable than np21nt.exe?
ok yeah that's weird. (also if you don't change your screen resolution to 4:3, Zoom > Adjust Aspect is better than Zoom > Full).
np21nt.exe is the right executable. To be super certain, check the version number in Other > About; mine is 0.83k8/fmgen.
Out of curiosity, are you able to run the Windows Touhou games ok?
Have you tried opening NP21 as administrator or with compatibility mode?

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
To be super certain, check the version number in Other > About; mine is 0.83k8/fmgen.
I'm up to date.
Out of curiosity, are you able to run the Windows Touhou games ok?
Yes.
Have you tried opening NP21 as administrator or with compatibility mode?
Running it as administrator didn't help. I don't know how to run it in compatibility mode.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:10:37 AM »
I'm up to date.Yes.Running it as administrator didn't help. I don't know how to run it in compatibility mode.
Right-click np21nt.exe > Properties > Compatibility > Run this program in compatibility mode for > (try Windows 7 or Windows XP).
Also maybe check "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution".

Beyond that I'm really not sure what else to do, sorry.
Instead of fullscreen, you could resize the window to make it bigger. Open NP2 > Emulate > Configure > Allow Resize.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 09:10:02 PM »
Running it in compatibility mode did the trick. Thanks!