Author Topic: Running Touhou 06 and Touhou 11 off of disc onto Windows 10 [Solved]  (Read 7425 times)

I recently bought Touhou 06 and Touhou 11 on disk. So far, I have tried to install EoSD, but I can't get it to work. I have seen that I need to get Direct X9 (I think) in order for this to work.
Touhou 11 gives me this:
http://imgur.com/GtSnC8V
(I can't seem to remember how to put a picture in properly.)
I will keep trying to work it out, but if anyone has any tips, I would be glad to hear them.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:02:22 AM by Helepolis »

Drake

Re: Running Touhou 06 and Touhou 11 off of disc onto Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:58:52 AM »
Issues playing EoSD on Windows 10 are often solved by some combination of the Direct8->9 patch and vpatch (and properly updating to 1.02h to run vpatch). Unless the problem is that you can't install it at all.

Can get both from here: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Game_Tools_and_Modifications

As for installing, if you want you can just open the CD directory (rather than autorunning it) and then copy the game directory to wherever you want. That's all the installer does anyways.
Probably what's happening is that not running the installer in a japanese locale causes it to garble and misread the filenames, so it can't copy over the stuff like omake.txt and the whole thing fails.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:03:40 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
I got EoSD to install with the copy, like you suggested, but I don't really understand how to work the Direct X8 to Direct X9 converter.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
I got EoSD to install with the copy, like you suggested, but I don't really understand how to work the Direct X8 to Direct X9 converter.
Just drag-drop the DLL into the EoSD game directory and rename the EXE to whatever it needs.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
I got SA working with the copy trick.

I still can't get EoSD going though. I put the DLL into the directory, but I have no idea what to rename the EXE.

Drake

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
You shouldn't need to rename it. The game executable should be 東方紅魔郷.exe, exactly as it comes already. What does your directory look like and what happens when you launch?

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 01:22:28 AM »
This is the directory:

This is what happens when I launch the game:

Drake

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:51:14 AM »
Without an initial config file, the game tries to create one for you. Because the game isn't run in a japanese locale, the default config file it creates is garbled, and then when trying to read it it fails. Renaming the config file to 東方紅魔郷.cfg might be all you need. Renaming the parent directory from the garbled text to something else might also be necessary.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:54:12 AM by Drake »

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:02:10 AM »
It does create a config file. I renamed both it and the parent directory, but it gives me the same error, and continues to create config files.

Before running:

After running:

Drake

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:05 AM »
Probably just actually have to run in japanese locale then. You can change this system-wide (Control Panel - Region - Administrative - Change system locale) and never have to worry about it like I do, but this has side effects like backslashes being changed into the yen symbol. Usually for Windows 10 I suppose people use Locale Emulator because AppLocale doesn't work in Win10.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:10:57 AM by Drake »

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:40:02 AM »
It worked!
Thanks for your help!
(How do I add [Solved] to the post title?)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:50:09 AM by RoguePlasma »