Author Topic: Splatoon 2: Your new octopus wife is here  (Read 21961 times)

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: Splatoon 2: Your new octopus wife is here
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 02:49:06 AM »
invisibility is inherently discreet though. Flight on the other hand is impossible to freely use and not be witnessed by everyone all around, defs cooler though
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 03:57:15 AM »
Version 1.2 was announced and released tonight. Changes included a variety of weapon buffs, a few nerfs, some bug fixes, and a new map added to Salmon Run. Notably it did not include a nerf to the Tri-Slosher, which is running completely rampant right now and is widely considered broken. There's also another normal map announced and incoming.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »
In a surprising turn of events, the GameStop I usually visited actually had some Switch consoles in stock, so I bought one as well as a screen protector. I'll set up my console soon and post my FC afterwards.

UPDATE: FC is SW-6446-9223-3807.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
Marina: "With invisibility you could spy on people while they're... inking their Splat Zone."

Octopus Wife is naughty!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
I'm surprised that slipped through QC, now that I think about it.

I also tried out a few matches and a round of Salmon Run yesterday, I'm definitely out of practice. Getting used to using the face buttons to Super Jump is also kind of weird. Here's hoping I get better later on.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't gotten used to the new super jump mechanics. Super jump is much, MUCH worse in Splatoon 2 overall for various reasons, but it's definitely still good. Definitely worth re-learning.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
Ok, not directly Splatoon-related, but Miiverse is shutting down on Wii U/3DS November 8th. This bugs me because there have been quite a few funny/cute/clever art pieces on that service, and a few games that use Stamps won't be able to use them anymore...Oy. At least it's still going on the Switch, but still...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 04:37:15 AM »
Splatfest time again! I've been experimenting with some different weapons, but it's time to put a hold on that, dust off my trusty Octobrush, and make sure I don't disappoint the octopus wife.

The Brella is interesting. I may give learning it a shot. It's definitely a hardcore support weapon, with sub and super weapons just dedicated to harassing and inking leaving it with very little ability to handle enemies on higher ground, but it's pretty powerful up close, inks fast, and can provide some great cover for teammates. I haven't quite figured out when the umbrella mode or umbrella launcher are the most useful, but the shotgun is straightforward if a little limited.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 12:17:28 AM »
Oh shoot, that started? Ack, I haven't had time...I'll have to hop on later and play.

I just unlocked the Splat Dualies myself, so I'm gonna see about learning those.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »
SO I see the squids came here too... a shame it's been a while...

Anyway, those in Europe have a Splatfest coming up THIS weekend: Hot breakfast vs Cold breakfast. Marina being a cereal girl is good in my books; Pearl being into fry-ups is also pretty damn fitting XD

There have been a fair amount of patches since the last post here; so as a reminder, the Skatepark from Sploon1 is back! Hope I can get to splat with some of you in the coming weeks <3
{SW: 3879-5044-1211}

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 01:12:20 AM »
I haven't had the chance to play lately, too many games coming out. I'll definitely jump back in for the Splatfest and hopefully play regularly after that, since I'm wrapping up Mario.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
Hehe, no worries. I've been diving into the competitive scene more and more lately (tried to qualify for the UK Championships a couple months ago) so there's been a lot going on XD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
Alright back on the Splatoon 2 train finally! Is it just me or has Splashdown been buffed significantly somehow? I got wrecked by it a few times last night in situations where I expected to beat it.

Also, next Splatfest is announced. Science fiction versus fantasy. That's a pretty good theme.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »
I... think it's kind of stayed the same. If people splashdown while Super Jumping, it can be... very brutal. But it's always been a danger XD

Now the Jet Spray... that is really starting to get on my nerves :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
Yaaay Marina won a Splatfest! By basically the narrowest margin possible! But I'll take it!

I really don't like that new Splatfest exclusive map. It's really cramped, and cramped maps tend to feel too swingy in Splatoon. You can be winning for most of the match but one bad turn in the last 25 seconds means a guaranteed loss. Makes the rest of the game feel kind of pointless. 

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
I will admit some of the Station maps are a bit small... but the last one we had in the EU (don't know if you had the same version or not) was awesome! The turntables splitting the map in two, and then an additional one on each side... I loved that! Had so many fun moments on that map as a result; whether it was watching someone wait for the gap to open and then get a face full of ink, or just watching someone try to jump round the outside of them... it was a lot of fun XD

{Also, yay Team Fantasy! Glad that won}

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Sorry for double posting but...

MASSIVE SPLAT UPDATE!

Spoiler:
2 new maps, 2 old maps, new Salmon Run map, new weapons, new/returning clothes, new hairstyles, extended photo opportunities, new music, gear switching in match queue, and a level cap of 99 which then plays like Overwatch levelling.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
Oh daaaang!

Fingers crossed that we get Octoling armor back, I went looking for the Octoling goggles the other day and was surprised to find that they're gone.

Looks like we're finally getting the Squeezer.

Is that thing with the clams a new game mode?

Warehouse and mall maps are back. They're not my favorites (I really want the summer camp and the resort back) but they're not terrible.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
Yeah, the clam thing is called: Clam Blitz. It'll be a Ranked mode, and you have to collect them, and place them in a basket (which is protected by a shield you have to break first) to score points. First to 100 wins. It looks interesting, and if you collect ten, you get what I can only describe as an American Football, which can be used to break the shield~

I'm actually happy with Warehouse coming back; it was the first map that came with the game (in testfire it was that and the Rig) so while it isn't my favourite (Mahi Mahi has that by a loooooooooong margin) it holds a special place ^^

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2017, 03:38:34 AM »
Is it just me or do all of the new battle music tracks sound really... not... good?

Also, the new Brella seems really good. I don't have it, but it can be kind of scary to play against.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
The first volume of the Splatoon manga came out this week in English. I haven't finished it yet but I'm a few chapters in. It's cute.

It may be the most mechanically focused piece of game tie-in media I've ever seen, which makes a bit of sense given that the mechanics more or less are the premise in Splatoon since it's kind of a sports game. But there's a line like "You guys focus on building your special meter!" or something, and stuff like that happens a lot.

I think it's relatively old originally though, because it focuses heavily on the mechanics from the original game which means it's kind of out of date. Inkzookas and Inkstrikes and Echolocaters are plot points, so I wonder if it's ever going to transition into Splatoon 2 where those things don't exist anymore...

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
I'd hope they do; it gets mentioned in the single-player, but they don't really explain WHY exactly they got dis-continued. So it would be a nice to touch if they flung that into the manga...

As for what's currently happening in-game... Splatfest for Europe this Saturday: Movies vs Books. As someone who likes both (I'm specific on each, of course) I do find myself floating to manga/comics more; so I'm with Marina this time! XD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 03:43:20 PM »
The new Salmon Run map is way harder than the other ones. I generally consider low tide to be easier than the other scenarios because there's no way for long-range enemies to spawn very far away and take pot shots forever, but on Salmonid Smokeyard it's much harder. And the Griller event is brutal. I managed to squeak a win out on it once but it's a real shitshow.

Meanwhile Crusty Sean has a new tier of food and it looks even tastier. I wonder what's in his hot dogs? I don't think pork exists in Splatoon... Probably seagulls.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
Meanwhile Crusty Sean has a new tier of food and it looks even tastier. I wonder what's in his hot dogs? I don't think pork exists in Splatoon... Probably seagulls.
Maybe it's made from tuna. I've eaten chicken corn dogs before, and tuna's considered the "chicken of the sea," so that's not too much of a stretch to make, eh?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »
Marina and Pearl Amiibos finally announced! Yaaay!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 04:11:46 AM »
Marina and Pearl Amiibos finally announced! Yaaay!
Oh, right, those exist now.

Egad, it's been ages since I fired up Spla2n...At last when Nintendo Online goes...online later this year, it'll be relatively cheap.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
Ah, finally got around to participating in a splatfest. Fun times, but everybody seems to be on team Love.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2018, 03:31:25 AM »
Nintendo Direct dropped some huge Splatoon bombs.

Yaaaay playable Octolings finally yaaay! And their own campaing too!

Hooraaaay Camp Triggerfish is back!

Also some other stuff like a new rank above S+ and something about Callie but who cares about dumb ol' Callie anyway am I right!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »
Yaaaay playable Octolings finally yaaay! And their own campaing too!
Forget Marina, Agent 8 is the true octopus waifu. :P

On that note, anyone else getting a Portal vibe from the DLC?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 01:39:27 AM »
Octo Expansion is out early! Downloading now!

Edit:
If you're on the fence about picking up the DLC I recommend you do it. It's made me so happy... the level of polish is amazing, there's so much fun stuff to do and look at. I have the big art book that Dark Horse put out for the first Splatoon and I feel like Octo Expansion could already fill its own art book with all of the scenery and character designs. And it fleshes out the characters of Marina and Pearl quite a bit, which is very welcome. And Captain Cuttlefish too. We learn that his first name is Craig. Craig Cuttlefish. :D

And that's to say nothing of the gameplay, which feels very sharp. I play a lot of Splatoon but I'm still finding it to be tricky. Tricky but fair. The levels are much shorter than in Hero Mode but much more narrow, which leads to some interesting challenges like finishing obstacle courses within a short time limit, dodging enemy shots for 30 seconds without taking a single hit, and tight target shooting courses. I hope the challenge types don't repeat very much, I'm not too far in and I could see that being a problem later on, but nothing so far indicates that too many of them are cookie cutters.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:43:32 AM by commandercool »