Author Topic: Splatoon 2: Your new octopus wife is here  (Read 21951 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Splatoon 2: Your new octopus wife is here
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:31:53 AM »

The first Splatfest is available this weekend for free, and the game is out next Friday.

Marina is adorbs. Pearl is weird and scary. Judd Junior is a cutie and, I suspect, and Octoling replicant. The new hairstyles are great. I need a pro controller badly. Splatoon 2!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:53:37 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: Splatoon 2: Get ready for your new octopus wife
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
The biggest challenge for me will be to get a Switch in the first place, but I am totes on board with this game. I liked the first one, but I didn't play it as much as I should, so I'm hoping to change that with the sequel.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:38 PM »
Mm this is unfortunate, it'll be at least a year minimum before I can go get a switch. I wonder how the community will be then.

Any new weapon types announced?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
Yes, dual squirtguns that let you do a dodge roll. And a new jetpack super that's basically an Inkzooka that lets you fly while it's active. Probably more beside that, but those are the ones we know about.

There are also some new clothing abilities. The only one I remember increases your respawn time and the respawn time of anyone who kills you once they die.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »
So I've been watching a lot of reviews, and apparently just about every special move has been replaced. It seems like the new ones are weaker but faster to charge for the most part. I think I like the sound of that a lot.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 07:18:03 AM »
So I've been watching a lot of reviews, and apparently just about every special move has been replaced. It seems like the new ones are weaker but faster to charge for the most part. I think I like the sound of that a lot.
That's good, I always did like spamming things to rack up more damage--or in this case, territory points.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
I hope that fixes the somewhat-issue I had with the momentum somewhat-problems I had in the first game. Half the games I've played were either close, back and forth matches, or where one side was dominating the entire match. When you were losing, it was reaally difficult to get momentum back and I could never tell what the specific factor that was causing it, but I certainly felt it. (And similarly, it was hard not to feel the riding on momentum when your team was the one dominating). Quicker special charges would benefit the losing team more.
Yeah, the momentum of the matches felt weird at times.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
Picked up my copy this morning, as well as a pro controller (not the special Splatoon one unfortunately, couldn't find any of those and they're expensive online) and the two new kid Amiibos. Didn't see the new squid, as far as I know it's not an exclusive so hopefully it'll turn up.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 12:48:24 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about the new squidmiibos...But I didn't have the money to spare for them at the time, so I'll pick them up later.

What I'm curious about is the single-player...How good/bad is it compared to the single player in the previous game?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 03:11:02 AM »
Single player is extremely comparable to the first game so far. It's the same basic deal except you use a variety of weapons rather than just the Splattershot every time.

Turf War has been a bloodbath so far. I feel bad playing against very new players, but I guess it's kind of inevitable for a while.

Splat Dualies are a blast. Haven't unlocked an umbrella yet, but the dual pistols are pretty great.

And yeah, the new supers seem like they're mostly hot garbage so far. Which honestly isn't awful. They don't feel enormously swingy for the most part anyway. Ink Armor, the bubble replacement, is almost too niche but that's better than freakishly overpowered I guess. And I'm sure people will figure out how to squeeze maximum value out of them before too long.

Definitely really missing the Wii U pad though. Not having a map I can see while actively playing is honestly pretty annoying, and the new super jump mechanics are noticeably clunkier (with an ability that lets you roll after landing to partially compensate).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:13:07 AM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 05:40:11 AM »
So incidentally I did find a handful of places with purple squids in stock, and in hand it's a hell of an attractive piece of plastic. Maybe my single favorite Amiibo to date.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »
Definitely really missing the Wii U pad though. Not having a map I can see while actively playing is honestly pretty annoying, and the new super jump mechanics are noticeably clunkier (with an ability that lets you roll after landing to partially compensate).
No minimap or anything of the sort? Either way, not using the touch screen is gonna take some getting used to...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
There is a map, but you have to press a button to pull it up and it takes up the entire screen. So it's not practical to use during combat at all, or even really while moving. And while the map is up your d-pad has one button mapped to each teammate and one for the spawn point, and you push the button corresponding to where you want to go.

Maps are designed differently for the most psrt though, they're smaller and force you into central areas more, amd they've got a lot more cover. At least that's been my experience and what most reviews are saying. So it seems like they did put some thought into how this would change things and compensate accordingly with the map design.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 04:22:33 AM »
Played like 20 rounds of Salmon Run earlier, and it seems very good. It's pretty hard, but I never really had a run where I felt like I lost for bullshit reasons. And four player co-op means that one or even two players can be bad and it's still possible. There's a decent variety in how the rounds can play out, and different Salmon Run events will probably have different available weapons and different maps to keep things fresh. I imagine we'll be seeing new enemies introduced at some point, but there's certainly already quite a lot of variety, so it's not needed at this point.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
Salmon Run pretty much sold me on the game. I like the whole Mann vs. Machine aspect, but it's also neat that it's not an overly long gauntlet, and the territory control will play in nicely with enemy control and trying to optimize egg collection.

Just how bad is the difficulty percentage, though? How much of a difference does one percent make?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »
Are you talking about pay grade, which I'm assuming corresponds to difficulty? It's tough to say because my teammates rotated a lot and sometimes they were good and sometimes they were bad, but the difficulty ramped up considerably in the relatively short period of time that I played. I don't know if it continues to rise at that rate or what the upper levels are like, but in around 20 matches I went from basically winning every round to winning about 20% of the time.

And yes, the short rounds are a HUGE boon. This mode kind of reminds me of that Overwatch event where you fight robots, and that was often a grindy slog while this is quick and dirty. Losing doesn't feel terrible because rounds don't take 20 minutes

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 02:45:38 AM »
Beat the last boss.

Spoiler:
Wasn't quite as much of a spectacle as the first time and the music wasn't anywhere near as good, but it was still surprisingly difficult which is nice. Callie has an evil outfit where she gets hypnotized by DJ Octavio and it seems to have visible thong straps, which is pretty shocking for a Nintendo game.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
So buying items from the Switch app is interesting. My understanding is that if you pick out an item on the app there's a vendor in-game who will add it to their sale inventory so you can buy it. The app items are the same name and appearance as existing clothing items, but with a different main ability. It seems pretty random what ends up for sale, but this at least offers a potential out to the eternal conflict between looking fresh and having terrible abilities.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 02:11:56 AM »
So buying items from the Switch app is interesting. My understanding is that if you pick out an item on the app there's a vendor in-game who will add it to their sale inventory so you can buy it. The app items are the same name and appearance as existing clothing items, but with a different main ability. It seems pretty random what ends up for sale, but this at least offers a potential out to the eternal conflict between looking fresh and having terrible abilities.
Oh boy...At least you can tweak your abilities, right? Is that still a thing?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 02:50:25 AM »
Of course. In fact it's much, much easier now. There's a buff you can buy that increases your odds of rolling a particular ability for a while, and there's a mechanic I don't fully understand yet called "ability chunks" that seems to be a currency that you can spend to just buy abilities outright.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
That's what I thought. Good to hear. Ah, my next paycheck can't come soon enough...If I'm lucky, I might get a Switch just when the next heat wave hits in my area, so I'll have something to play while waiting for it to pass.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 05:26:53 AM »
This is a great complaint to have, but I almost feel like there's too much to do in this game. :V I've been spending so much time on single player and Salmon Run that my character's level has suffered. I haven't even unlocked ranked yet, which is yet another thing to do.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »
This is a great complaint to have, but I almost feel like there's too much to do in this game. :V
Such is the way of huge RPGs and mobile games. They put out so much content to keep you invested. I for one, welcome the extra stuff provided it's fun.

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Splatoon 2: Your new octopus wife is here
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 02:07:20 AM »
Got ranked unlocked. The only mode I've played so far is Rainmaker, which definitely feels different. The weapon itself has been modified and now shoots explosive projectiles instead of a tornado, and it now has a timer that kills its wielder after a certain amount of time. The net result seems to be that the opening few moments aren't quite as crucial, and a team wipe at the very beginning is less likely to lead to an instant win. A single squid with the Rainmaker can no longer lay down huge swaths of ink and swim directly to the goal since the new fire mode requires many discrete shots to create a path. So teamwork is more important (I've seen people split up and have two go after the Rainmaker and two create a path if they manage to get ahold of it and it's pretty effective) and I guess turtling is less viable, although I never really saw much of that anyway.

I haven't played tower control yet, but I hear the tower now has to stop at checkpoints, which puts the team holding it on the defensive while the other team gets to take potshots at a stationary target. Once again this seems like it eases off on punishing early mistakes and makes it so an early team wipe no longer means that you can just get most of the way to the goal before your opponent regroups. We'll see how it works in practice, but there definitely seems to be a trend toward making ranked matches more uniform in length.

Meanwhile I played with a bunch of weapons in Sheldon's shooting range and realized that a bunch of subweapons that I thought had been removed are in fact still in the game, including the Splash Wall which was arguably the best one in the last game. My beloved Beakons are also still around, but there isn't an Octobrush with them available, maps are smaller which makes them weaker, and you can now only have three in play at once (which I think it down from the first game?). I guess because there are more subweapons some of them are just more dispersed which is why I hadn't seen many of them. Seekers are replaced with a new (and seemingly weaker?) Autobomb and the Disruptor is replaced with the Poison Mist, but everything else is back as far as I can tell.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 06:05:46 AM »
Interesting stuff. Shame the Seeker got bumped, but that Poison Mist weapon sounds intriguing.

All this talk about weapons reminded me that ChuggaaConroy has made an extensive LP regarding the original Splatoon. If you haven't had a chance to play the original game, or are having a hard time deciding if it's worth getting the original or not, definitely check this playlist out.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 06:13:14 AM »
Best change is separate ranks for each mode.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 02:04:00 AM »
So the first Splatfest was yesterday. It was a pretty smooth experience all things considered. Even matchmaking and only half or less were Marina vs. Marina. I saw next to no disconnects anywhere for the entire event. Wait times between rounds felt a bit longer, but not unreasonably so. A price I'll gladly pay for this level of matchmaking and connection quality.

The bad guys won thanks to the Splatfest's fucked up scoring system, but this doesn't make Pearl any less of a garbage. We all let down our octopus wife, but she's still number one.

Edit: The lobby is full of electoral college Miiverse posts. Ouch.  :D

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »
So bits and pieces of upcoming content have been datamined including
Spoiler:
revamped Kelp Dome and Black Belly Skate Park, two unfinished new maps, two more Salmon Run maps, some sort of new semi-automatic weapon called "The Squeezer" that kind of looks like a wine bottle with a handle, and, most important, playable Octoling values including male Octolings.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
Next Splatfest is announced as flight vs invisibility. They clearly gave the superior option (flight) to Pearl to try to balance out the scales, but I like that the options fit the characters. Pearl's Napoleon complex means she would probably love to fly over people, and Marina's shyness means she would probably like to be able to disappear.

Needless to say, I will be backing Marina.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
Honestly, of the two, I'd take flight. Invisibility is nice, but it doesn't stop people from running into you. :P