Author Topic: With a few ideas in mind...  (Read 2183 times)

With a few ideas in mind...
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
So... Yeah, first of all, hey there, I'm new.
Going straight to the point: I have a project of my own in mind, but... I suck with scripting. Story wise and idea-wise, I've got no problem, but I can't program for anything. So... I was wondering if anyone would be willing to cooperate with me with the programming part? I suck at programming, so teaching me won't work. I just need someone who can help me program a game for Danmakufu. The story, character design and other art-related things I can easily manage, so... yeah.
Thank you kindly in advance!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: With a few ideas in mind...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »
Welcome TheRunawayGirl. Good to hear you're getting straight to the point. I'll do the same for this post:

Sadly, based on my past experience on forums and with any creative projects (for any game) I have to tell you that no one is going to quickly and willingly offer you help with one of the most hardest parts: Programming. Especially for a danmakufu game, this is vital. Over the past two decades I've seen countless people mention the words: (game(play))design, story and art when they start a project. Those three might be important, but aren't necessary to get a project going. Those can easily and temporarily be substituted with place holders.

You won't be the first one to ask, neither the last one to receive such an answer. Because you're new, nobody can gauge your efforts as you've only typed words so far. But being new doesn't mean you have 0% chance. Take a look at this thread and compare it to yours. Again, none of this is a guarantee, as the danmakufu world is usually a lone-wolf style niche when it comes to fan games.

Finally, telling us you suck at programming and claiming teaching won't work is a groundless statement in my opinion. That won't earn you the reputation or respect. It comes over as lazy and uncaring. Perhaps you're not and we're all wrong, but you shouldn't read these final words as my entire post. As the real deal is in the first two paragraphs. Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:55:02 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »
Not gonna lie, I was KIIIIIIIIIIIIIINDA expecting this to come my way.
I'm used to seeing this, but it was never hard to give it a shot to begin with. Thanks, nonetheless, for telling me that.
Also, while I did say that I'm bad at programming, I haven't given danmakufu scripting a shot, but scripting in itself seems hard in my opinion.
Once again, though, thanks for telling me. I might just work artwork and (maybe) music for others, then. My project'll have to wait...

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »
Getting into Danmakufu is very easy. There are a lot of tutorials now out there and it's much more simplier than your standard c++/Java/whatever programming.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
Honestly though, the first time at anything can't really be a walk in a park, it's gonna have it's difficulty. It's not only you. I had had a very similar reaction like yours when I started looking up programming tutorials on Danmakufu back in early 2014, and thought that it was horrendously difficult and would take way too much effort. The code for even a very simple singular script had a sorta deterring effect on me. Later, I didn't know what exactly had made me do so, but within the same year, I got completely hooked by scripting with Danmakufu, although my progress was quite slow since it's, well, admittedly not really easy, and I was still in secondary school.

By continuously following both Sparen's and Helepolis' tutorials (they're really helpful and easy to follow), I was able to get down the basics of scripting fairly quickly, even though I struggled considerably when it came to more complex single scripts, plural and stage scripts and utilizing various predefined functions, which still applies to me as of now, albeit to a lesser extend. Things will naturally become easier once you understand more.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!