Author Topic: How do I go about getting Touhou 3? Or any PC-98 game?  (Read 1959 times)

Kuriz

• Flying Gatekeeper of no real significance
  • Watch out for my my Special Attack MOVE!
How do I go about getting Touhou 3? Or any PC-98 game?
« on: July 28, 2017, 03:19:43 AM »
I literally can't find these games anywhere. I don't even want to buy it (yet). I just wanna know if a physical copy of these games can even be acquired at this point.

Drake

Re: How do I go about getting Touhou 3? Or any PC-98 game?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
You can, but as there are only a small number of copies in existence, they are very rare and are more like collectors' items; because of which they are also very expensive. It's considered a noteworthy event when a shop even comes into possession of a copy. On top of this you would need a PC-98 computer that can actually play it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:43:16 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kuriz

• Flying Gatekeeper of no real significance
  • Watch out for my my Special Attack MOVE!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
Well shizzle, dawg. I'm not getting this game anytime soon. What am I to expect from an indie Japanese shmup game for a Japanese computer from the 90's?  Of course it's gonna fade into obscurity really quick. 'Tis a shame, really. Good thing emulation exists.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
The gap between Touhou 5 and 6 is not very large in the west because people emulate the PC-98 games and a majority just pirates the Windows games too. People see their presence as similar because the perception of their availability and influence as games is warped.
Meanwhile in Japan you can just walk into a doujin shop and buy the Windows games, but emulation is not nearly as big so PC-98 has very little presence. It isn't meant to be comparable.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -