Author Topic: Something seems creepy about Yukari in FS...  (Read 4985 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Something seems creepy about Yukari in FS...
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »
So we've learned from FS chapters 50 and 51 that Yukari
Spoiler:
has something sinister planned for Kosuzu
, right?

Well...
Although I was not expecting that twist at all when it was first revealed three months ago, something about the way Harukawa Moe draws Yukari just tells me straight off that
Spoiler:
she's going to be a villain at some point in FS
, even all the way back in the very first chapter where Yukari had a tiny cameo and absolutely no plot significance.

In Layman's terms, FS!Yukari just seems off regarding her physical appearance, as if she's manipulated the boundary of anime-art-cute and complete-Uncanny-Valley on herself...
Come on, Alice and Nitori also had cameos in FS ch1. But Nitori eventually appeared in normal anime-art-cute style, and Alice have not appeared anywhere else in FS (yet). And in their cameos there, they at least looked okay if you're okay with shaded faces. But Yukari just screamed Uncanny Valley to me when I saw her there...

Did you felt something odd about FS!Yukari the same way I did?
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Re: Something seems creepy about Yukari in FS...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »
Welll...Yukari is always odd, so not much to talk about. Also, almost in everystory she's in, she's either scheming something, or just like to mess with people's head. So yeah...she's always a villian in many sense (an antagonist, if you will)

So what I'm saying is...She's always abit creepy, your point is?

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »
Welll...Yukari is always odd, so not much to talk about. Also, almost in everystory she's in, she's either scheming something, or just like to mess with people's head. So yeah...she's always a villian in many sense (an antagonist, if you will)

So what I'm saying is...She's always abit creepy, your point is?

What I want to say is that FS!Yukari really have that villain look, whereas the versions of her in WaHH, SSiB, Three Fairies, and the games are acceptable as normal supporting character, her manipulative bitch status notwithstanding.

Basically, it all comes to the way she was drawn by the artists. Whereas ZUN, Alphes, Hirasaka Makoto, Azuma Aya and Aki Eda drew her in the same style they drew everyone else, Harukawa Moe drew her with a creepily realistic face that just screams "Villain!" to you.
Seriously, Yukari is the only character in FS who is drawn somewhat realistically. In contrast, everyone else are drawn in the same anime-cutesy art style...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »
Well, then this more come down to style, isn't it? It's not like she's more schemy than usual. Overturning the balance of Gensokyo or thing like that really is something she do between her sleep.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
I wouldn't say she's drawn "realistically", her anatomy is just like the other characters'.  I believe that what you find uncanny about her appearance, however, is the way her eyes were drawn.  They're shaded in a completely different style than everyone else.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »
Honestly the faces I find most disturbing from Harukawa are the Koishi and Dark Kosuzu faces.  The Yukari face looks smug and evil, but with those two it's like the old quote about looking into the abyss.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:57:24 AM »
Harukawa draws fantastic eyes in general. Nearly all of FS could be told with just eyes and text.
If a character's eyes have no pupils, like Yukari or Possessed Kosuzu, you know something's up with her.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:40:56 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
FS overall has been a lot darker in atmosphere, Yukari included, than other manga. Like, in WaHH the youkai are basically hijinks of the month, but in FS they're serious business. We even had youkai actually killing human villagers, and Reimu actually killing youkai.