Author Topic: RaNGE Contest #17 - Laser Light Show Redux!  (Read 15067 times)

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
RaNGE Contest #17 - Laser Light Show Redux!
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
Yoo! I'm back and hosting more contests!
For those that have been here on RaNGE for a long time, this contest will definitely bring you back. Lately, contests have been centered on characters or certain abilities. Well it's been a while since we've had a bullet restriction. It seems a lot of the people you have participated in the first Laser contest seems to have gone inactive and we have a lot more new and fresh scripters out there, so why not revisit this idea?

Unfortunately, I don't have any fancy story for this, so I'll just get right to the guidelines

Guidelines:
   1) Lasers only! Loose, Straight, and Curvy Lasers
      a) No familiar with hurtboxes(SetIntersectionToPlayer). These can be used as "fake bullets."
      b) Do not make lasers act/look like bullets
                c) You can use hitboxless bullets for aesthetic reasons

2) Must contain at least 2 patterns either as nonspells or spells.

3) Scripters must work alone.

4) Patterns are the important part, do not worry about backgrounds, images, effects, or sounds. Just because the script looks flashy does not mean it's good.

5) Any absolute pathing errors or missing files will lead to instant disqualification once the judging session as started. Please makes sure your scripts do not have these issues when you submit them.

6) You are allowed to resubmit entries as many times before the deadline.

7) Scripts submitted 2 seconds past the deadline will still be accepted, but only 2 seconds after the deadline.

Deadline: July 16, 2017

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:25:36 AM by PhantomSong »

Re: RaNGE Contest #17 - Laser Light Show Redux!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
When you say "act like bullets" what do you mean? Just having the hitbox the size of one, or...?

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
quick question, how are these RaNGE contests organized? It seems like anyone can start one, provided it's been a long enough time since the last.
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
When you say "act like bullets" what do you mean? Just having the hitbox the size of one, or...?

I'll take it verbatim from Blargel's original post
It is possible to make a laser that looks and behaves like a bullet. However, doing so is going against the point of this contest so doing so will result in disqualification. Basically when I play the script, I better not see small stubby lasers that could be mistaken as bullets.

quick question, how are these RaNGE contests organized? It seems like anyone can start one, provided it's been a long enough time since the last.

You don't even have to wait at all, it's just you're more likely going to have more participants if you wait about a month or two.

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
Are there any rules regarding survival spells? I suppose it's common sense to not have an hour long survival card, but previous contests narrowed it down to 60 seconds. I have a nifty idea and I'm not sure if 60 seconds will be enough for it though.
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 01:05:19 AM »
Are there any rules regarding survival spells? I suppose it's common sense to not have an hour long survival card, but previous contests narrowed it down to 60 seconds. I have a nifty idea and I'm not sure if 60 seconds will be enough for it though.

I suppose as long as it's playable. 2 minutes would probably be the absolute max I'd say. But I'd just advised using common sense. 3 might seem way to long, 2 might be on the long side.

Also: Updated rules to include the following:

c) You can use hitboxless bullet for laser tips for aesthetic purposes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:07:17 AM by PhantomSong »

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
Just a few questions. Is this for Touhou characters only? Where are the entries submitted?
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
Just a few questions. Is this for Touhou characters only? Where are the entries submitted?
Was going to ask this too, also what about two bosses? I want to make a fight against two fanmade touhou characters.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:09:07 PM by GenoCraft »

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »

Anything is allowed, you don't even need a visible boss(but that should only be if you have nothing but survivals) Entries will be submitted on the contest page(this page) as usual just to keep it tidy and condensed into one spot. Results will be posted here, too.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Well, looks like I have another distraction from SeitenTouji. It'll be a good test for the brand new system I want to use in the future.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
This seems really cool, nice throwback!
I'm not confident enough with my work with lasers (especially curving ones) to consider entering unfortunately.  That and my own project is currently taking up a lot of my scripting time :V
However, I am very much looking forward to what will be done in this contest.  Rave spellcards inbound.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Bro

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 02:26:55 AM »
There is a script that I'm making that will probably be done within the next couple of weeks that uses just lasers, that is, with the exception of one spellcard which uses danmaku mainly as a visual effect as they fall from the top of the screen and after getting down not very far they turn into lasers. I'm kinda sad that due to that alone it won't work in this contest but at the same time I'm kinda glad because it will mean that I'll have to work towards a deadline, which is something that I definitely need to improve on.

You say not to worry about anything other than the danmaku. Do you mean that we *shouldn't* or we will be, I dunno, disqualified if we worry about the other stuff? I doubt that you mean that but I kinda want to know. Danmaku should be the priority but we can still worry a little bit about the other stuff, right?

You also say that scripters must work alone. Does that apply to assets other than scripting stuff? If I was to use somebody else's sprites or something I wouldn't be disqualified, right?

So, I told a fellow coder about this and gave him an idea for what he could make and... I'm scared. His entry will probably be done really soon. Just let it be known that after I gave him the idea I tried to stop him.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 02:39:21 AM »
You say not to worry about anything other than the danmaku. Do you mean that we *shouldn't* or we will be, I dunno, disqualified if we worry about the other stuff? I doubt that you mean that but I kinda want to know. Danmaku should be the priority but we can still worry a little bit about the other stuff, right?

You also say that scripters must work alone. Does that apply to assets other than scripting stuff? If I was to use somebody else's sprites or something I wouldn't be disqualified, right?

In general, danmaku quality is what is judged most rigorously. Music, graphical effects, etc. take second stage - they matter, but not nearly as much as the danmaku. Exceptions include when graphics impede visibility, etc.

Scripters work alone means one submission for one scripter. You can't have two people coding. Using someone else's sprites or assets does not generally count as a collaboration.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 05:34:35 AM »
Yamame shot some of her webbing at this thread and it became sticky.

Also at the contestants, to get a better idea of this contest: See the first Laser Light Show.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
Yamame shot some of her webbing at this thread and it became sticky.

Also at the contestants, to get a better idea of this contest: See the first Laser Light Show.

First Laser Light Show

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »

So, I told a fellow coder about this and gave him an idea for what he could make and... I'm scared. His entry will probably be done really soon. Just let it be known that after I gave him the idea I tried to stop him.

- The only time the fancy stuff would matter would be in case of a really close tie. Patterns the main concern, if the patterns are good enough, a script with absolutely no images and sound could potentially take 1st place.

- This just means players cannot work on the same entry together. Bouncing ideas back and forth is OK, I mean as long as you aren't typing his code, it's fine.

Also, edited the c) rule on "no bullets" to say
     c) You can use hitboxless bullets for aesthetic reasons

And as well was asked a question

The way I make curvy lasers is to have a "head" bullet and a trail of other bullets that follow it. I do it this way is because it's easier to manage and less lag inducing than regular curvy lasers. It's functionally identical to a regular curvy laser, but it does actually use regular bullets
- If you are using bullets to imitate lasers for curvy lasers, that is fine. As long as they don't end up behaving like bullets.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:27:51 AM by PhantomSong »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 12:23:52 AM »
PhantomSong: Who do you have planned to judge? Asking so I can populate an entry in the Danmakufu Contest Database.

EDIT:
Contest Database has been updated with preliminary information.
http://sparen.github.io/projects/contestdatabase.html#subRANGE2_17
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:38:39 PM by Sparen »

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
Is there a max number of patterns like the first Laser Light Show? Because I forgot about asking this and have already done five and plan on doing two more...

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »
Is there a max number of patterns like the first Laser Light Show? Because I forgot about asking this and have already done five and plan on doing two more...
Not, really, but if your entry has so many patterns, you leave more room for critique, so I'd advise using your best ones and keeping it short!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
Not, really, but if your entry has so many patterns, you leave more room for critique, so I'd advise using your best ones and keeping it short!

As a judge of many other contests, I've noticed that a single poorly-done attack can drag down the entire script. When all contestants have good danmaku, the small differences in quality can and will determine your placement. Quality > Quantity.

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
I'll do something in my GameMaker Studio engine thing. Maybe Shinki as I've wanted an excuse to do something with her.  :)

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
Just finished my entry, featuring Saraka Sant'angelo and Tamako Sant'angelo from Tri Focuser ~ Outside the Traditional World! Apparently I can't register on Bulletforge right now, so I uploaded it to Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhwvw6fcwmerbei/RaNGE%2017%20-%20Angelic%20Battle%21%20by%20GenoCraft.rar?dl=0

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
The original laser light show was one of the contests whose entries I enjoyed watching the most back in the day. I'm extremely excited to see what this contest produces, especially with how far many of us have come when it comes to visual flair.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
For those who want videos of the original LLS:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q28m8WpGvOY (Note: Suikama's entry is probably serious)
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWzwR0nNunA
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjostC1KOg (Winning entries, refer to these for quality standards)

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 03:44:13 AM »
http://bit.ly/2tCn1iG

My entry ^

It's a bit rushed and simple but hopefully enjoyable. :)

Edit:
I reuploaded, I spent an hour this morning changing most of the Laser code so they're all drawn as primitives rather than many sprites. Visually it's nicer but gameplay is mostly unaffected.

Same link:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:58:41 AM by Helepolis »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »

My entry ^

It's a bit rushed and simple but hopefully enjoyable. :)

Edit:
I reuploaded, I spent an hour this morning changing most of the Laser code so they're all drawn as primitives rather than many sprites. Visually it's nicer but gameplay is mostly unaffected.

Same link:

Some notes:
-Shaders failed to compile, got an error message
-Those player shot lasers are REALLY bright. On the first nonspell, they covered some of the enemy lasers entirely. Essentially, every one your dark blue lasers is rendered invisible under those shots and with the dark background.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:08:56 PM by Sparen »

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Perhaps it might be best for you to discuss people's scripts in PM?
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:09 PM »
Some notes:
-Shaders failed to compile, got an error message
-Those player shot lasers are REALLY bright. On the first nonspell, they covered some of the enemy lasers entirely. Essentially, every one your dark blue lasers is rendered invisible under those shots and with the dark background.

-That'll happen in Wine. It's better than it crashing or not including shaders at all. I have no idea how to make them work in Wine however I can do native linux/mac exports (But I have no mac...).
-I changed the player lasers to be less obnoxious. Redownload is optional as it's all that has changed. I never noticed not seeing a laser under them but everyone is going to be different.

Thanks for the feedback on those non-boss related things, much appreciated! I would have included more playable chars but that isn't what is being judged and I would have to code them from scratch as I'm working on a non-touhou universe game now.

Apologies for 3rd upload and thread spam. :ohdear: #NonDanmakufuProblems