Author Topic: The SNES Classic is coming for our wallets  (Read 5685 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
The SNES Classic is coming for our wallets
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

Look at that fucking lineup of games. Stellar from top to bottom and basically only missing Chrono Trigger (which is somewhat surprising since they snagged SMRPG and FF6"3"). I know where 80 of my American dollars are headed come September 29th.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Re: The SNES Classic is coming for our wallets
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
That is fucking Star Fox 2.

WHELP
Guess I gotta buy this, too.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
Much like the NES Classic, I will attempt for many hours to purchase one and fail miserably.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
There are some serious omissions from the games list but frankly the SNES had a real long list of really good games.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Edible

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:21:54 PM »
There are some serious omissions from the games list but frankly the SNES had a real long list of really good games.

I dunno man, I think they hit the vast majority of the biggest titles.  I'm willing to forgive CT not being on there, since FF6 and SMRPG are.  Would've liked to see Terranigma included too (or at least Illusion of Gaia), but eh.

Only thing that sticks out as an odd inclusion at a glance is Street Fighter 2 Turbo instead of Super Street Fighter 2.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
Honestly, if any given person was asked to pick 20 SNES games to shove into an SNES Classic with the requirement that (a) no more than one game from a given franchise subset (FF, MMX, DKC) be selected, and (b) one of them be Star Fox as an excuse to release Star Fox 2 as game #21, I can't imagine their list would deviate from Nintendo's list by more than, like, 2 or 3 games. I'd switch out Super Castlevania 4 with Chrono Trigger, but that's really it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:28:10 PM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
Fuck.

I want it.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:39:20 PM »
Yep, money problems be damned, I'm grabbing this.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
Holy geez I need this.

Or...would if I didn't own almost all the stuff I'd want on it in original for or on the Virtual Console.

Still though, this is a RIDICULOUS lineup.  They're gonna be printing money here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:52:15 PM by Jq1790 »
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Reddyne

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
There really isn't much in the way of fluff to that list. Adding to it would've just improved it further, though I wonder just what Nintendo has to go through to put an individual game on it. 21 games is probably all they could have really mustered without it being a problem.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
An amazing collection, to be sure!   :toot:    While I could sit here and pick a small handful of "wish come true" tweaks to the collection, let's look at it from the other perspective that there were many hypothesized SNES classic lists aiming to be as realistic and likely as possible, and this collection greatly exceeds the bar those speculations set.

(But if we're going to compare our fandoms, count me as easily picking FF6 and SMRPG before I'd pick CT!)

Star Fox 2 is unlocked by beating the first level in Star Fox 1.  I hope there is a nice Nintendo-style touch when it unlocks, like the OS cuts away to a Smash Bros style screen going "A new challenger game has appeared!". 

I think I heard Star Fox 2 is going to be different (if only slightly?) from the rom on the internet.  This will also be the first time Nintendo has officially emulated the Super FX chips.  We might even expect that Nintendo intends to emulate them faithfully to the original games, which isn't how most emulators do it (they tend to remove lag and increase the frame rate, although they're still pretty good if you ask me).

Here is a handy text list in case anyone wants it:

Code: [Select]
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy 6 (released as FF3)
F-Zero
Kirby Super Star
Kirby?s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ?n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi?s Island
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:20:30 PM by dosboot »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »
oh snapadoodles
This will* be mine

*hahaha as if I'll be able to snag one

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
I'm half tempted to buy one of these and set it up in my parent's bedroom surreptitiously. They may or may not remember the SNES silently breaking down into its component atoms in my closet, and they definitely have only seen at max four games from this list; but it'd be good for a couple of laughs before I move it into the living room.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
Only thing that sticks out as an odd inclusion at a glance is Street Fighter 2 Turbo instead of Super Street Fighter 2.

SF2 Turbo is a straight upgrade over World Warrior, which is the version that most console players are familiar with. Super Street Fighter 2 undoes nearly all of the balance changes from SF2T, so it's also widely considered to be an inferior game.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
I've heard rumors that Capcom Japan doesn't like the speed of Turbo and had to be forced to release it by the USA side. It sort of makes sense since the HD and Ultra versions don't go nearly as fast as Turbo.

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
That sounds unlikely. If they had anything against higher speeds they probably wouldn't have made Ultra SF2 faster at all, because the overall movement frame data in CE and SSF2 is almost exactly the same as SF4 and SF5. USF2 would just feel horrible to play at Turbo 2/3 on a joycon.

Japan getting SSF2 is most likely just a case of people assuming that the newer game is better.

BTW both SF2T and SSF2 have speed selection on the title screen, and ST HD Remix is no slower than standard tournament speed.

Edible

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »
I don't think Nintendo or Capcom really cares about the competitive angle of the games included.  They're probably going off internal data of games sold to pick the most nostalgic title for each region.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
Turbo sold more in both regions. If this list is correct, SF2T actually sold more in Japan than SSF2 did worldwide according to Capcom's investor relations site. I'm just mentioning that SF2T is the better game anyway.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:01:47 PM by Romantique Tp »

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
So, what's your personal top 10 list from the SNES classic edition?  Share 'em!

1. Final Fantasy 6
2. Super Metroid
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Super Ghouls ?n Ghosts
5. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
6. Super Castlevania IV
7. Super Mario World
8. Contra III: The Alien Wars
9. Star Fox
10. Mega Man X

Some comments while making this list:
-I really have trouble ranking Super Metroid and LTTP relative to each other sometimes, but I'm pretty good with SM on top right now. 

-I'm a big fan of Super Mario RPG, probably my 2nd favorite turn based RPG on the system.  Final Fantasy 6 is my easy number one.  I've commented all about it recently it so I won't repeat myself :)

-SGnG is probably going to be a rare placement.  I like the methodical difficulty in this one.  In fact, it's probably my favorite SNES game in the category of "hmm this clearly could have been made easier with no one complaining".  (Contra 3 also falls into this category, but if I could list games outside the 21 it wouldn't be so close to SGnG.)

-SNES Mario Kart has diminished in my eyes as my ability to play it competently has gone terribly downhill, although I feel at one point it might have held it's own.

-Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star and even Secret of Mana have good strong points but I'm just one or two steps outside the circle of those who regard them highly.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 05:11:01 AM »
I find it strange they have star fox 2 but not seiken densetsu 3, which as I understand it was pretty much translated already but wasn't released in the west purely because of SNES cart space limitations, it not being there while secret of mana is kinda burns.

That said, while I did not own most of the NES classic library, I got most of the games on this one so it's pretty pointless for me.

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
why didn't they cheat and put Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World on there
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that

Reddyne

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
I find it strange they have star fox 2 but not seiken densetsu 3, which as I understand it was pretty much translated already but wasn't released in the west purely because of SNES cart space limitations, it not being there while secret of mana is kinda burns.

That said, while I did not own most of the NES classic library, I got most of the games on this one so it's pretty pointless for me.
Oh man. Back in the days when Japan saw a great deal of risk in the western market and wound up flirting with a number of ideas but not going through with much of any of them. I played SD3 from start to finish probably somewhere between 8 and 10 times way back when. Front Mission, Bahamut Lagoon, Tales of Phantasia, and so many more. They could release a Mini SNES with 21 games that caused the fan translation scene to thrive and still not cover all the deserving titles.