Author Topic: Who do you think is more Mary Sue-like than other in Touhou?  (Read 21657 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Who do you think is more Mary Sue-like than other in Touhou?
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
None of the characters in Touhou are Sues. "More Mary Sue-like" is not quite a power-level argument since personality and relationships in Touhou are much more defined than powers and strength.

Yeah I should definitely qualify my earlier remarks on this by saying that I don't actually think this is a thinly-veiled power level discussion. Having tremendous, unbeatable power might be a facet of Mary Sue-ness in a Touhou context but it isn't the only thing, of course.

Although it is refreshing that ZUN has decided to imbue his characters with flaws, there is a strong case to be made for Yukari and the Moon Sisters being closest to what being a Mary Sue is anyway.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Re: Who do you think is more Mary Sue-like than other in Touhou?
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
Sorry to bring this dumb thread back from the dead yet again.

But i changed my mind about Yukari's sue-ness. If Yukari was the main character, she'd absolutely be a sue.

But, she is almost always depicted as being mysterious and distrustful, everyone in the series hates her, at best ran blindly follows her as a slave like being, yuyuko and akyu are friends i guess, But Reimu and everyone else visibly shows their annoyance at her all the time.

A Mary Sue isn't just a really powerful character, its a character who is shown to be completely ideal to the authors wishs. ZUN stated clearly that Yukari is a "nasty" character, and alot of her sueish traits derive from that, really. It gives the empression of someone who is very secretive and strange. At best, she's maybe a Villain Sue, but thats the most i can think of.

And seriously, when does any character in the touhou project get bit in the ass by their flaws? At most, they'll get beat up by Reimu/Marisa, and then drink tea with them at the end. No one ever really gets punished for their crimes in gensokyo. True injustice.

Okay, you can close this thread now mods.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi