Author Topic: New Possible Theme of Eastern Story References?  (Read 2835 times)

New Possible Theme of Eastern Story References?
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
Hi everyone. It's me again. I've been having a good ear for music lately and I noticed a couple of Touhou themes that sound a tad like Theme of Eastern Story that nobody has pointed out yet. Anyways, do you think that these could be intentional or just a coincidence?

The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood/Reach For the Moon, Immortal Smoke: Both of these themes have their own little "rendition" of the theme hidden inside their music (if they are even in there or not). For EoSD Stage 5, It plays shortly after the part of where Sakuya becomes the midboss of the stage (the small little bell part, that sounds suspiciously like the EoSD Title Screen theme). In Mokou's theme, it plays in the background after the first 13 notes. (?)

Lunar Dial/Flowering Night: Sakuya's theme(s) sound like a heavily edited version of Theme of Eastern Story. I'm not sure if these two count as one; however because they have different notes that don't match the typical ToES pattern, but its nice to note that both of Sakuya's themes have their own leitmotif to them.

Eiki's theme/Miko's theme/Tomorrow was Sunny, Yesterday was Not: All three of these themes have what sounds to be like the theme at the beginning. Eiki's theme in particular is kind of special, because after the Flowering Night/ToES (?) part, it appears to play Reimu's theme (Spring Lane~Colorful Path) and then Marisa's theme (Oriental Dark Flight) if you listen closely.

Seiran's theme/Ringo's theme/Every single HSiFS stage or boss theme we have gotten so far/Cirno's theme: I haven't really listened to HSiFS' soundtrack yet, but I heard bits and snippets of what appears to be the theme, IDK if this has been confirmed yet. Seiran and Ringo's theme appear to have it in different places, a possible nod to Reisen's version of the theme (it plays at the beginning?)? And the theme may even be in Cirno's theme to an extent, in the main melody part. Of course this all is just based off of speculation.

Necrofantasia: I've sworn that I had sometimes heard it in the beginning mixed in with Ran's theme, kinda creepily.

Disclaimer: I know that a LOT of Zun's music sounds the same (like a lot of other artists), and that might be his style, and that the Japanese Penatonic Style and Progression (a.k.a. what Theme of Eastern Story is based off of) is used in a lot of other tracks that aren't ZUN's. Just because they are in minor key and similar notes doesn't mean that they are based off of one theme!

Mind. Blown.  :o
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:03:18 PM by erired1110 »

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
Re: New Possible Theme of Eastern Story References?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
This seemed interesting.

Having a look here, it seems that TWbS~YWN is close in terms of the actual pitch progression, but ascends from G a whole tone lower. SL~TA is the closest in terms of actual notes, but not progression. Lastly, EJitSY~FoSY doesn't even start on the same note, however interestingly enough, if you lower ToES to Bm, almost all of the notes for the first bars are the same (ToES peaks at A instead of G).

I had a listen to some of those other ones, but these were the only ones with any noticeable connection.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:06:33 PM by GenericArrangements »
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:29:28 AM »
I've noticed Miko's theme is more similar to this than Theme of Eastern Story.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
Anyways, do you think that these could be intentional or just a coincidence?

It just means that ZUN really likes this note sequence. Can't blame him for reusing or experimenting with it in multiple melodies, really.