Author Topic: Touhou Game Cover Translation?  (Read 1954 times)

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Touhou Game Cover Translation?
« on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »
As a collector of the official Touhou games (the goal is to have all main games and spinoffs including PC-98...eventually), I'm not sure where I could find a translation for one thing in particular:  the cover of the game.  Specifically, the back cover of the jewel case.
To some this might seem trivial, but for me it's fascinating to see how ZUN would try and sell the game with the flavor text on the back of the case.

I'm wondering why they haven't been translated, my best guess being how the actual covers are hard to come by due to a limited (?) release of pictures of the game case itself online.  Either that or I am looking in the very wrong place, please correct me if I'm wrong.
It also may be interesting to those interested in the images of the games (especially earlier games) before they released, with a potential for beta screenshots.  Though I haven't personally noticed too many differences.
Now I don't have nearly all of the games yet.  (I'm too low on money :V ) I can provide high quality pictures of the back covers themselves if this hasn't been done and if someone is up to the task.  As of 6/13/17, I have EoSD, IN, PoFV, and ULiL.  I'm not sure if this kind of thing will take off and be interesting to people other than me, but I'm more curious than anything.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou Game Cover Translation?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
I think they probably haven't been translated because the cover is one physical part of the game you don't actually need to play it? Just a guess.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Touhou Game Cover Translation?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »
I think they probably haven't been translated because the cover is one physical part of the game you don't actually need to play it? Just a guess.
All sarcasm aside, that makes a lot of sense, and I probably wasn't thinking about that at 10-something PM my time.  I can't think of anything that has been translated about a work that you don't need to use and/or play it in the fandom, but I want to say that it exists.
Still curious to see the potential in what these covers have.  I know very little of the language but I suppose I could learn it.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)