Author Topic: E3 2017 dreams and reactions  (Read 23344 times)

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
Re: E3 2017 dreams and reactions
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 04:47:50 AM »
Forza 7's got my interest, mainly due to releasing all content for PC unlike 6 (which would've had my money instantly if they brought the NASCAR Expansion to PC before I realized Gran Turismo 6 already let me put stock cars in places they do not belong). The Crew 2 looks actually happy and peppy and bright unlike its grimdark predecessor, and between that and Super Mario Odyssey wowing me, I'm very glad that vibrant, gleeful games are, like, a thing that's allowed again. We need more of those. Wolfenstein II looks completely fantastic, even if I'm a bit apprehensive still; not a pre-order, but an early buy if reviews are good. The Spider-Man game looks fantastic.

Essentially, as someone with no intentions of buying a console in the near future, this time around really just gave me a vibe that, well, I suppose is a good thing; each game had a very specific audience it was going for, and if you were in that, it was exciting. If you weren't, you just waited for the next thing. It kinda showed a divide of sorts, but on the other side of the coin, it gave everyone something to be thrilled about, or at minimum, intrigued by.

I'm a little surprised that Sonic Forces, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 / Dimensions / Worlds, and Gran Turismo Sport (I am very conflicted about GT's direction but that is a whole other story) got no mainline screen time, but it made it feel like extra special finds when it's like "oh, so there WAS a trailer for that!".

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »
My fave racing game to date is still forza 3 (I never played 4+ yet, I heard 4 is really not worth getting if you already have 3, and I don't have an xbone so that's it).

So I would love to play it on my pc, but I'm going to assume it'll be like 6 where you can only play it using windows 10, which I'm not using. That said my rig is 6 years old, so when I try to upgrade next, I might find I need a complete overhaul, and then I'll likely get it.

Speaking of 6 though, my biggest gripe with 3 that I asked and was told 4 didn't fix were ghost car mechanics. I just love picking a car, practicing a race, saving the ghost car, and racing against that ghost car with a DIFFERENT car. but Forza didn't let you do that with a different car (or was it a different tier of car? I forget, you couldn't do it with any other car you wanted though). That was something I liked about Gran tourismo more at the time, you could nail a race with your old car, buy a fancy new one, and literally watch how much better your new one performs in comparison, makes the whole buy a new car experience a lot more fun and meaningful to me. Which is a shame because GT's problem was that they toss 20 cars a second at you for breathing.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
I played 4 and wasn't really impressed; Horizon was a bit more up my alley, but having played way, way too many racing games, Forza 4 was just kind of unsatisfactorily floaty. And, actually, having played Gran Turismo 6, it felt like Forza was throwing cars at me more often than GT was (awarding new cars on each "level up" instead of each championship, meaning you could end up with three new rides before a series was even over), even when it was the express purpose of much of GT.

Gran Turismo's apparently throwing out the car collection in favor of e-sports and heavy simulation this time around. The sim-racing market already offers plenty of options, though. There are many, many great sim-racers, but nobody does Gran Turismo like Gran Turismo, and apparently even they won't, now. Their E3 trailer showing them scoffing at the old games and boasting about "burn[ing] it all down, start from scratch", combined with buying out the exclusive license to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb so no other series can use it, is making me very much less than happy with Polyphony Digital. It's a bold move, but also feeling like a really dumb one, because there are a lot of other similar simulation options that look better so far.

I dunno if the ghost cars got fixed later, actually! That sounds like something worth trying out sometime. Gran Turismo 6 did allow for it as far as I know, but I hadn't really mixed and matched performance tiers of car. And yeah, F7 seems to be on the way for Windows 10 specifically. I eagerly await a demo, at least, to see if the physics feel right, and to hear if the car/track roster is appealing. (At this point, games lose points from me for having Silverstone and the N?rburgring because I'm just tired of doing them.)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2017, 03:03:56 PM »
I'm very on board with Forza 7 PC.  As much as I adored the first four Gran Turismo games, the series has gone in a direction I can't really follow.  I still love you for fueling my obsession with cars, Yamauchi!

Friendly reminder that the West is getting both Yakuza Kiwami (the Yakuza 1 remake) and Yakuza 6.  If you're not familiar with the series, Kiwami (or Yakuza 0 which released earlier this year) is a great starting point, and comes out this summer - MSRP $30.

Also, Ys VIII comes out in September!  By all accounts this is one of the best games in the series, so keep an eye out.

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2017, 04:34:26 PM »
Also, Ys VIII comes out in September!  By all accounts this is one of the best games in the series, so keep an eye out.
Totally getting this on Steam once it comes out. Saw some gameplay videos of the PS4 version and it looks great.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
Ys VIII...Isn't that Lacrimosa of Dana?  I thought that was out already.  Given my addiction to hating myself and Nightmare-ing it up in every Ys I've played so far I look forward to more reasons to tear my hair out as Adol(or whoever the protagonist ends up as if it's somehow different a la Origin) gets pasted to the floor.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Well, uh, Forza 7's pre-order editions have been announced, and that's enough to remind me why I don't actually buy those games anymore. The VIP/Car/Season Passes never actually include all of the game's content, forcing you to still pay up even more later on. FH3's Ultimate Edition didn't - and doesn't - even include the map expansions, leaving that game's final price tag at about $135. Now we're starting at $100 again, purely for in-game content, and it's only going to increase from there. So, uh... I'm gonna stick to old stuff with free mods, because I am cheap.

(To be fair, the first Forza Horizon's content added up to $110 and felt completely worth it, but you weren't at all pressured into it all at once, nor was the in-game advertising quite as intrusive as it is today.)

The first Project CARS was not a very enjoyable product, but I find myself unexpectedly very hopeful for its sequel this time around, I should also note. I highly doubt we'll end up with no racing games worth the money out of this plentiful batch, in any case.

Tea Devil

• wowee!! ♥
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
Oh look, Ubisoft did that thing that everyone hated with Watch_Dogs: https://i.redd.it/6tvzkqoijn3z.png

Also rip Bill Trinen, for making a tweet and people getting overly hyped about it. At least the sushi game looks kind of entertaining.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2017, 12:51:38 AM »
Ys VIII...Isn't that Lacrimosa of Dana?  I thought that was out already.  Given my addiction to hating myself and Nightmare-ing it up in every Ys I've played so far I look forward to more reasons to tear my hair out as Adol(or whoever the protagonist ends up as if it's somehow different a la Origin) gets pasted to the floor.

Yes it is, but they were weird and they released it on vita only, not ps4. They want th e ps4 version to actually have more content, with much of it focusing on that dana lady than adol since I heard it's like 80/20 adol/dana. So the ps4 version is taking longer to develop.

That said I don't think the west has either the vita or ps4 version yet, and we'll be getting the ps4 and... a PC version IIRC soonish.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2017, 02:11:48 AM »
Yeah I looked it up, I think PC release is like September or something. 

I wish I had a PS4 though since the special edition looks freakin sweet.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2017, 04:30:53 AM »
Oh look, Ubisoft did that thing that everyone hated with Watch_Dogs: https://i.redd.it/6tvzkqoijn3z.png
Just gonna mention that the Legendary Edition costs US$799.99 for the truly dedicated fans.

Hyper Dunk

• I'm a Double Dragon.
  • I will fight everyone.
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2017, 04:55:58 AM »
Yes it is, but they were weird and they released it on vita only, not ps4. They want th e ps4 version to actually have more content, with much of it focusing on that dana lady than adol since I heard it's like 80/20 adol/dana. So the ps4 version is taking longer to develop.

That said I don't think the west has either the vita or ps4 version yet, and we'll be getting the ps4 and... a PC version IIRC soonish.

The PS4 version finished development awhile ago. I got it off the JP PSN last month when it came out on the 25th.

I wish I had a PS4 though since the special edition looks freakin sweet.

NISA's site shows that they still have some stock left for the limited edition for the Vita, which has the same goodies as PS4. http://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/ysviii/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-ps-vita

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2017, 05:07:18 AM »
Just gonna mention that the Legendary Edition costs US$799.99 for the truly dedicated fans.

Millenials not making $800 preorders are killing the gaming market.

Tea Devil

• wowee!! ♥
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
I think I'd blocked the price from my memory cuz seriously? You could build a half-decent PC for that price and have enough left over to buy better games :V Looking at what the $800 version contains, I still can't tell what's making up the bulk of the price. The figure better be 1/2 scale or something ridiculous if you're going to drop a month's rent on this kind of crap.

Shame, since Ubi was doing so well. Not as insulting as Bethesda, though.

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2017, 05:59:01 AM »
A roundup of E3 trailers that I found interesting but which were for small sized games that weren't heavily featured:

Tunic - appears to be an isometric Zelda-like with a cute fox character (check out his run cycle).  Combat involves rolling and lock-on.

Extinction (trailer, gameplay demo).  3d action game where you fight against giant Orcs (colossus-sized).  A first glance at the game will probably remind people of Attack on Titan.  Character has a lot of vertical mobility, air dashing, auto wall climbing.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin.  2d action/brawler in a stylized, historical japanese setting with a fairly artistic look to it.  The combination makes me think of a Vanillaware game if it was done with 3d models.  Looks like it has some Harvest Moon in it as well.

Finally, one last thing: Luigi's special technique in Mario+Rabbids is "Steely Stare" (found by catching a glimpse of the stat screen during a demo).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:00:53 AM by dosboot »