Author Topic: E3 2017 dreams and reactions  (Read 23331 times)

E3 2017 dreams and reactions
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:00:26 AM »
E3 is next week!  And some conferences are being streamed this Saturday and Sunday!   Crazy.

We should have a thread for E3 news and reactions.  How about we share some hopes/dreams in the meantime?

You can't have E3 without fun longshot pipedreams, and I will go all in on one this year: New Metroid.  For these things, you have to believe it is coming, and I'm feeling it for Metroid this year despite no evidence and some evidence to the contrary (e.g. we heard no mainline Metroid game was in development in 2015, when Federation Force interviews/reports were going on).

As for the "realistic" games that would be interesting to see: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Evil Within 2, the new Star Wars IP, God of War, and Super Mario Odyssey.   I also know there are a number of studios such as Retro, From Soft and Mistwalker who are known to be working on new projects that I'd surely be excited to see.

~

Does anyone else agree that seeing trailers debut live on the big stage has the effect of creating hype that wouldn't be there?  Like, at a more sober time of the year I'd be fine letting a lot of these AAA trains coast by with far less attention.  Especially looking back at this past year, I know that I'm going to be playing on a tiny handful of "new" games, but I also know that if I hop on the E3 ride it will be a fun time.

Re: E3 2017 dreams and reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:48:22 AM »
This year I continue to hold out hope for a Lunar 3.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:09:28 AM »
Hopes and Dreams:
New Metroid that ignores the events of Other M.
Mario Oddyssey is to Mario as Breath of the Wild was to Zelda.
Dishonored 2 DLC (TBH it looks like Bethesda gave up on this franchise and I hope I'm wrong about this.)
Fallout: New New Orleans, or something.
TES 6, debuting a new Bethesda  engine that isn't shitty and buggy for once.
Beyond Good and Evil 2, but i highly doubt that game is actually still a thing, it's probably been canned for good.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Drake

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:11:09 AM »
m e t r o i d

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:45:26 AM »
I feel like Nintendo misses the mark with Metroid to their own detriment because of the concerns of marketing. I doubt I'm alone in this thought but I'll express my reasons here because I've had some rum.

Metroid is a sci-fi shooter and popular wisdom in marketing is to make it a multiplayer FPS competitive thing. This makes sense from that viewpoint but not much from Metroid's actual genre, which is lovecraftian horror except you shoot those horrors in the face. I feel like Prime 1 handled this best, the sense of solitude, the post apocalyptic and later timely logs of the Chozo on Samus's actions; it was a great narrative on the last warrior of the Chozo.

I also feel like Other M tried and failed to do this because it was simply the wrong point in the timeline. Like it absolutely makes sense to have Samus have PTSD triggered by Ridley suddenly showing up, but it is something that should be in her first few games, not later (I forget what sequence number Other M is.) Other M had other problems but I won't focus on them here. Also her having daddy issues is BS when for what we know she had loving Chozo guardians. I feel like the shift to human-centric things in Metroid is a big mistake.

I want a better writer for Metroid. Someone who can accurately write Samus as a woman out of place with humans, chozo, and metroids. Someone who can do so in a show-don't-tell manner with logs and scan data and a little bit of Samus's comments. I think if the proper focus on lonely hero was given to the series, Metroid could simultaneously be popular as a piece of art and a least common denominator "person struggling alone against great trials."  Surely the protagonist being the last beacon of justice in a universe gone mad is a good marketing ploy?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 06:20:08 AM »

I wonder what a lunar game would be like with better voice acting. I mean it wasn't awful like vay, but I definitely prefer modern voice acting in my rpgs.

I still have my sega cd though so I'm ready! =P

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
Like it absolutely makes sense to have Samus have PTSD triggered by Ridley suddenly showing up, but it is something that should be in her first few games, not later (I forget what sequence number Other M is.)

Other M is between Super and Fusion, which is the end of the overall timeline.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »
This is the first year in a long while that I'll actually be paying attention since I seem to have finally caught up to everything that I wanted to play. Wearing down my backlog over the course of uh... 27 years has helped and beating Breath of the Wild last night after almost exactly 100 hours of play has really hammered that home.

Haphazard predictions and stuff from a lazy person with clear biases:
  • Bethesda showcases ES6 to be released toward the end of the year. The game will have a new engine and be set in Elsweyr. During a showing a glitch will occur that turns the game into a modernized and highly polished version of Morrowind. Bethesda patches this out about a week after release day.
  • Nintendo rocks a lot of socks and proves why I need to get a Switch but still comes up anemic in the minds of many fans. They do not reveal a next-gen handheld because it turns out that they don't want to repeat the 2007 Wii company wide money pool incident in which 37 employees drowned.
  • From Software proves that they can't shake that they are the Dark Souls company. They either declare that their next game is an exclusive and are invaded by a zweihander spamming Havel mage or declare that it will be released on all consoles minus the Switch and will be invaded by a glitched Sacred Flame user on a dial-up connection. They are then counter-invaded by a blue spirit from the DS2 Faithful but the jankey covenant system and heavily nerfed magic they use means the blue spirit doesn't save the company spokesman on time.
  • Square-Enix utterly disappoints with the absence of anything groundbreaking, but still manage to satisfy hardcore RPG nerds with some cool lesser known titles. It is, however, revealed that Squeenix uses the high hopes of others instead of money.
  • Sony gets some cool exclusives but comes short of a killer app that sells systems.
  • The X-box One continues to exist and share some of the PS4's games but still comes off as the fifth wheel in a group of friends.

Long shot stupid stuff:
Vagrant Story 2
Breath of Fire 6
Metroid anything
A pokemon remake despite there being a pokemon direct thing like 3 days ago.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:41:29 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »

• From Software proves that they can't shake that they are the Dark Souls company. They either declare that their next game is an exclusive and are invaded by a zweihander spamming Havel mage or declare that it will be released on all console minus the Switch and will be invaded by a glitched Sacred Flame user on a dial-up connection. They are then counter-invaded by a blue spirit from the DS2 Faithful but the jankey covenant system and heavily nerfed magic they use means the blue spirit doesn't save the company spokesman on time.

Jokes aside, I hope they stick to what has been clearly working for them. Now that Dark Souls is Over?, I wonder if they're going to start fresh with a new game in the same genre, or just make Bloodborne 2 or something.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 05:14:11 PM »
I hope we get long lasting memes.

Tea Devil

• wowee!! ♥
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »

To add: Lunar 3 made by people who had absolutely nothing to do with Dragon Song, since surely nobody else could screw it up so badly. Alternatively, another remake of Lunar 2 because seriously, why does only the first get to be cool and modern on the PSP.

What else, eh...a PS4 price cut? New Sony handheld? God forbid, an Ubisoft presentation that isn't pandering bullshit?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
Jokes aside, I hope they stick to what has been clearly working for them. Now that Dark Souls is Over?, I wonder if they're going to start fresh with a new game in the same genre, or just make Bloodborne 2 or something.
I do too. Even after 5 games I don't think there's a "perfect" or "definitive" version of what type of game the company makes. Each of them has a lot of strengths but a few flaws that taint the experience. The games are still great overall and I want From to continue their success. I just don't know if Miyazaki wants to do this forever and hope that whatever they do make features all the strengths they've taken from the Souls games and finishes it off with more polish.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:31 PM »
As usual I'll stick around to see what the big three toss around this year while looking out for 3DS and PC releases.

New Sony handheld?
As much as I want to see that happen it seems that Sony isn't too keen on handhelds anymore after lackluster reception and sales of the Vita. It didn't reach the popularity of the PSP and paled in comparison to the 3DS despite its clear technological superiority over Nintendo's handheld.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
As much as I want to see that happen it seems that Sony isn't too keen on handhelds anymore after lackluster reception and sales of the Vita. It didn't reach the popularity of the PSP and paled in comparison to the 3DS despite its clear technological superiority over Nintendo's handheld.
Actually the Vita did pretty well in Japan and I think Europe? Just everywhere else it was pretty lackluster.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »
I hate the vita hate over here. I got one after my 3ds and love it to bits. It's quite honestly the most underrated console ever for me personally.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
Boy, such nice lists and I've only got a few... two which are longshots/pipe dreams, probably.

Note that there is no sarcasm in this list, I'm completely freaking serious here:

• Kingdom Hearts 3; at least a progress report and some new footage if not a tentative release date
  • Golden Sun 4
  • Skies of Arcadia HD
  • FF7 Remake; progress report is probably all we'd get honestly

Yup. :]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:03:24 AM by The ⑨th Zentillion »
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 12:19:49 AM »
I think I have a few that aren't even likely enough to be longshots, they are merely "barely plausible fan fantasy":

From Software announces Lost Kingdoms 3.   Since the series was a Gamecube exclusive, the sequel probably would be for the Switch.  The new game would take the central idea of those games - that every monster is also an equipable weapon/ability card - and modernize it with an action RPG control scheme more in line with FromSoft's recent games.  Make it set in a dying/decaying world that only secretly turns out to be the world of Lost Kingdoms when you piece together the right lore items.

A Kirby game in the vein of Super Mario RPG, with timed hits and Square-Enix once again a co-developer.  Mix back in some of that SE weirdness they added so it isn't just like Paper Mario in tone.

A single player Quake game, but pitched as a proper sequel to Quake 1 and it's universe.  And where they go back to classic FPS movespeed and classic map design (disconnected levels, no checkpoints and less scripting).

Warcraft 4?  Maybe this one is just a regular longshot that could happen eventually.  I think you need to avoid adding another race, so it would stay at 4.  The Naga wouldn't replace any of the races, but maybe a couple Naga units can find their way into the new unit rosters for the other 4.  Same goes for the many other races in the Warcraft universe that aren't directly represented as one of the 4 main factions in WC3.  All campaigns would come in the base game.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 05:10:33 PM by dosboot »

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 01:16:46 AM »
Stuff
Yeah, thats pretty much the truth right there. Other M was shit.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 04:20:12 AM »
Golden sun 4 eh. I'd rather have golden sun 3 and it confirm the other 3 didn't exist, it was all just a horrible horrible dream.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 04:25:45 AM »
So, long shots. It's... somehow possible now? Apparently Bubsy is making a reappearance... Yeah, not sure what peyote they're smoking, but I could use a ton of that.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
Re: Golden Sun

Just make it better than Dark Dawn and given us the fight we've been waiting for since basically forever!
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »
Re: Golden Sun

Just make it better than Dark Dawn and given us the fight we've been waiting for since basically forever!

Yeah fighting
Spoiler:
Alex and the dragon/monstrous mythical creature form he'd inevitably take for the final battle,
being a GS title and all... is all we crave, isn't it.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »
Come oooon Persona 5 Arena! I know, it's still early for that...
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »
EA briefly unveiled "Anthem", a new IP from Bioware.  The trailer showed a Pacific Rim-esque setting?  Human mecha pilots, a giant wall keeping humanity safe from monsters such as a giant turtle.  Hard to say really what it is about, because it ended quickly with "full reveal at Microsoft conference".

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:36:37 PM by dosboot »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
Come oooon Persona 5 Arena! I know, it's still early for that...

Persona 5 XCOM
Pataponsona 5
Lego Persona (Series)

...I would buy all of those

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »
What I want to see, even if it's highly unlikely:
-A Jazz Jackrabbit game with high-quality pixel art
-A Golden Sun game that's basically a remake of the first two games
-A new Metroid game that is actually Metroid and not a co-op shooter, and has a good story and world
-A new Star Fox game that has a more natural control scheme
-A new Gradius game that doesn't have Otomedius in the title

What I actually want to see:
-BethesDoom 2
-Platinum making another Transformers game
-Splatoon 2 and more games for the switch
-A good Xbone exclusive that I'm invested in
-A Ratchet and Clank 2016 sequel

...I think I have others I wanna see but I can't remember them atm. >3>

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2017, 11:29:34 PM »
Something else that was pretty neat in EA's confrence: A Way Out.  It's an "always splitscreen game", so you have to play co-op with either a couch partner or an online one.  The game is about escaping from a prison and then being on the run through the countryside.  It is being made by the team who made Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, with funding via EA's originals program.  Even though it's not really a game for me, it's an ambitious idea and I'm interested seeing where this idea goes.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 01:48:20 AM »
Yeah, that was a pretty cool game they showed off. I never played the original Brothers game, so I may have to try it before doing this.

I also liked the Star Wars Battlefront 2 stuff, if it actually gets interesting I may pick it up.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:21 AM »
speaking of golden sun, it just occurred to me that I find it really surprising that no other rpg games have really taken what golden sun did for their own games. I mean the whole mind read npcs thing. It really made the menial unimportant npc chatter in town so much more enjoyable and I wish more rpgs would implement it. Half the npcs in town if you have to. I'd rather have half as many interesting npcs than double uninteresting ones.