Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2017: For Gilgamesh, it is Morphing !Time  (Read 34089 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Going for a Chaos run this time around. Let's see if I roll dancer for the umpteen-billionth time.

Also heads up Triangles, the gba-translation of the handbook is returning a 404. :<

EDIT:

Uh-oh.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:38:26 AM by FinnKaenbyou »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Started out with Beastmaster, making this year the 3rd time I've had it in 4 runs. I might play up until the fire crystal, see what I wind up with, and roll again if I get 3 or 4 repeats. It's not that I wouldn't welcome a well balanced teammate capable of stalling, manipulating baddies into wiping their own team, or busting out a 9999 damage whupstick every so often, but I just don't want to play through the game with the same team again.
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Going for a Chaos run this time around. Let's see if I roll dancer for the umpteen-billionth time.

Also heads up Triangles, the gba-translation of the handbook is returning a 404. :<

EDIT:

Uh-oh.
Hahaha welp.

Don't forget about that flail in the ship graveyard. Hopefully the water crystal gives you some offense. Regardless, you've already beaten the game.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya

EVERY FUCKING YEAR

EDIT: So in spite of being in the Team 750 category, Bards cannot break rods.

The journey to Earth job is going to be an absolute nightmare.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:51:15 PM by FinnKaenbyou »

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
>Wind Job: Blue Mage.

Ehm... is this good ?

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Yes it is!  I've never been so lucky to have one, but enough folks in here have so they can point you in the right direction of the don't-miss spells.

I'm starting with ninja this time, new class!

I'm also doing da risk so I know what my water crystal will be and therefore 4zerks 4liquid flame welp that's gonna be a night.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya

Ehm... is this good ?
It takes a bit of effort to get the right skills, but once you're prepped blue mage has a lot of great coverage. Check the handbook mentioned in the title for a good idea of what to look for.

Meanwhile, I've been grinding mercilessly to get my team of four bards past Sandworm. Level 27 and counting...:|

Just got the Fire Crystal, and the third roll is another Berserker.

For quadzerk Liquid Flame, I'd recommend going to level 22. With Mythril Knives, you'll have decent damage, and at that level you have the HP set so that several of the characters take 5 blazes to die instead of 4. Managed to first try it this time due to some okay luck as well as knowing the exact level I wanted.

Will I get the Game Plays Itself Dream? Well, we probably won't know for a while because Sandworm.

Also, I did make sure to fully power the Chicken Knife before I got my berserkers, so it will be usable on bosses. But of course the softlock bug is a thing for normal battles, so I'd have to have it off most of the time once I get it. Plus as expected I am likely going to be glad for the underflow bug.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:06:56 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

Reddyne

Snooped on my water crystal job and wound up with a bard, greatly improving the chances that I'll just stick with what I have as opposed to job fairing something.

Ehm... is this good ?
This is how I started my first FJF! It's worth emphasizing what everyone else has said thus far: They start slow but if you've picked up a bunch of spells using a walkthrough, they're real great all around and have fantastic utility. It's worth stating however that they aren't nukes, which are typically the easiest thing to understand and use. Their spells create opportunities that will make a huge difference throughout the game, though magic accuracy may throw you off every so often.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Wind was White Mage.  Things were slow and annoying.

Water was Thief.  Aaargh, no damage, no anything.

Fire gave me Beastmaster, so I can go out of my way and deal occasional bursts of damage, blehhhh.  Annoying as hell, but at least I can deal with things.

I'm afraid to find out what Earth is going to be.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

My 4th is Mystic Knight for 3 Berserkers and 1 Mystic Knight.

This makes Omega doable but Shinryu will be hell. It may very well be grindier than Dragoon + 3 Berserker was because that could get away with solo powerleveling the Dragoon, while I likely need the Berserkers leveled up here for Shinryu.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
So after making it to level 28 and still getting annihilated, I decided enough was enough and job faired away one of the Bards to get Black Mage instead. Cracking rods on Sandworm's face was immensely satisfying.

Also my Earth job is Beastmaster, so that's...something.

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
Rushing through the game with these jobs at the moment in random mode:

-Black Mage (Gilgabot's being kind to me for some reason)
-Berserker (obligatory, also rune axe/earth hammer shenanigans lategame)
-Thief (STEAL EVERYTHING!? And flee too)

Stopped after getting fire-powered ship. Seems like this run won't be getting the superbosses, but let's see what earth crystal will give.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Wind was White Mage.  Things were slow and annoying.

Water was Thief.  Aaargh, no damage, no anything.

Fire gave me Beastmaster, so I can go out of my way and deal occasional bursts of damage, blehhhh.  Annoying as hell, but at least I can deal with things.

I'm afraid to find out what Earth is going to be.
I was correct to be afraid.

Zerker. >:(

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Reddyne

Wound up with BESTmaster, bard, No Fun Allowed (TM) dancer, and time mage. Time mage and bard were huge since they were both classes I wanted but never had before. Meanwhile, BESTmaster was a surprise favorite BUT dancer was useless until the very end of the game. Sunday was spent experiencing a roller coaster of emotions with me nervously mashing the refresh button on the FJF's Players page to see if I'd be job fairing anyone or not. Especially that dancer once it popped up. It worked out well and haha this ain't a natural run this time around you sack of crap dancer get to work at something else.
I was correct to be afraid.

Zerker. >:(
At least WM can keep everyone on their feet. Maybe slap !Control on everyone and have all the bad guys chew apart whoever the berserker decided to pick on first for trash mobs, then swap it out for however many !Catch/!Release guys you can stand for boss fights?

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
Aight, I'm past Garula now.

So now, I got that. I guess at least I got some offense now, and X-cast later will be cool.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
I've got... Dragoon, Dancer, Dragoon, Geomancer.

Geomancer is doing some cool stuff in act 2 at least, so far. Kinda.

Reddyne

Aight, I'm past Garula now.

So now, I got that. I guess at least I got some offense now, and X-cast later will be cool.
Congrats! You are now incapable of getting a game over.

triangles

And you've got something that can hit Omniscient so you can get Holy with minimal trouble too!

I've got... Dragoon, Dancer, Dragoon, Geomancer.

Geomancer is doing some cool stuff in act 2 at least, so far. Kinda.
That combo is a... thing alright.

Meanwhile I did my 4zerk grinding while watching Futurama so I'm at level 25 all-around.  Looks like I'll be streaming Fire Ship and ~beyond~ on Thursday evening at this rate.  Or maybe tomorrow!  Who knows!

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
Started my first ever fjf run a few days ago.  Just a normal run with no extra modifiers and I got (in order of their unlocking) Thief, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and Dancer.  Having no source of easy healing besides items probably means this team is out in attempting to kill either Omega or Shinryu, but on the other hand...Double Lance + max power Chicken Knife = So much damage!  At world 3 about to enter the pyramid for my first tablet.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
I got White Mage. Someone end my suffering as I try to grind up to level 13 so everyone can reasonably take on Garula.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
Got Geomancer as my third job. Man, that's really starting to get Magic oriented.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
Whew. Made it past the Act 2 Exdeath with everybody at level 33 (for Reflect Ring Level 3 Flare to help get past that nightmarish first phase)

I had gotten more than a few Elixirs fighting Magic Dragons along the way, but fortunately I only used 3 out of my stock of 16, so. There's that.

Now I can get my Dancer gear and actually start dealing damage reliably. And ribbons.

Reddyne

I'm right next to Liquid Flame and remembered to bring along the ice rod from the second town. I'm getting jobs tonight YAAAAAY!

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
Well, my first run this year, in Classic Mode provided me with white and black mage and two knights, and that went over relatively well; since it's Classic that means 2-handed never left my knights and my mages got improved MP pools. I'd run away a few times by mistake but the Brave Blade was still able to outperform even the Ragnarok even then.

...Granted I had to kill Shinryu to get the latter, but it wasn't too bad with this party; just had to keep up blink while keeping my knights and enemy berserked, and the Defender and Excalibur provided fine as secondaries until then.

Exdeath decided to be cheeky and targeted my mages with White Hole instead of my Aegis-wearing-for-that Knights, but after that and in the end I prevailed with NED with everyone left standing at the finish. Didn't attempt Omega, who knows how much grinding I'd have to do to take it down.

Then after that, it was time to check out this year's two new modes; Popular and Fifth Job. The latter may have not been a good idea, because the former got me, in order, Black Mage (again), Dancer, Monk, and Bard; so unless the replacement is Beastmaster or Chemist, Omega escapes again.

Then again, I finally got to test out the combination I'd been wondering about for a while thanks to this job combo: Barehand Sword Dance, and well... 3-6k damage depending on luck? HOLY SHIT. And now that I'm in the Second World, that's slipping into the 4-8k (something around 1.8k noncrit per strike in Drakenvale?). This is, of course, RNG-heavy, but when it works, it DESTROYS. I dunno if even the fully-powered chicken knife will obsolete that when combined with a Sword Dance Up piece...

3 more dungeons until I lose Bard, though. Sigh, oh well.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:22:10 PM by The ⑨th Zentillion »
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
Dragoon/Dancer/Dragoon/Geomancer clear!

lol the only thing Geomancer did in the final boss was throw Phoenix Downs and Elixirs.

It seems the first form of Exdeath is a humanoid, because !Jump Man-Eater did way more damage than !Jump Holy Lance did. And that's accounting for Man-Eater having 2x damage on !Jump.

triangles

:toot: ALL ABOARD :toot:

It took 131 Harvesters to get the 8 deathsicles for maximum mudertrain hilarity.  Just wrapped up World 1 on stream this evening!

cleared 3x Berserker + Mystic Knight. Currently grinding for optional bosses.

I'm now at level 60 on all 4 party members since unlike Dragoon + 3 Berserker from last year, I need all 4 party members leveled up for this. Have not tried Omega or Shinryu since some time in the 40's on level. I'm thinking of going up to 71 before trying again.

This is taking a lot longer than I'd like since there's not really anywhere safe to train up this team that actually gives worthwhile experience. At least with the Dragoon one where I solo leveled, I had a safe strategy to level in the Lonka Ruins section of the final dungeon even if the enemies there love to spam death stuff, but that doesn't fly when you only have 1 Bone Mail and need to train up 4.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
In my FJF run, I got Time Mage as my first job. Well, Time Mage is pretty good. They have spells like Haste, Slow, and Meteor. But you got it on the 2nd crystal. So, my strategy up until the 2nd crystal is just: Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack and occasionally use Potion when in danger. But Potion only heals 50 HP. If the enemy deals like 100 damage, that means 2 Potions. But, being a Freelancer means I can equip anything. Going to Tycoon Castle after getting the dragon means I got pretty nice weapons that doubles my attack power.

I don't see why Garula is so dangerous considering I kick its ass on the world map and I Paralyze its boss version and stomp its ass.

For my 2nd job, I got... BLUE MAGE!!! Aaargh!! Blue freaking Mage. It sucks, enemies' skills suck. *sigh* Okay... at least on the bright side, I didn't get suckier job like Beastmaster, or Bard, or Geomancer, or Berserker, or Necromancer. Or very late gamey like Gladiator, or Mime. Gladiator is actually pretty nice though since they can deal max damage when lucky.

I don't really know how to beat the Fire Crystal boss with 2 Time Mages and 2 Blue Mages with no Blizzard. Seriously, that thing is so tough, hits hard and is just so dodgy.

Stupid moment: I wasted an Elixir on Ship Graveyard's boss just because I thought I could kill it immediately just because she's undead. I mean, there's a tough boss in FFX that I could 2-shot with Phoenix Down just because it's undead.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
I don't really know how to beat the Fire Crystal boss with 2 Time Mages and 2 Blue Mages with no Blizzard. Seriously, that thing is so tough, hits hard and is just so dodgy.

Time to resort to rod-breaking since you have a whole team capable of it. If one doesn't kill it and it turns into the hand, switch to daggers or Goblin Punch and get it to change, then break another frost rod.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.