Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2017: For Gilgamesh, it is Morphing !Time  (Read 33678 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
(this may or may not have been 95% lifted from last year's thread

FOUR JOB FIESTA TIME

Q: What is this?
A: A month-and-a-half long charity marathon benefiting Child's Play.  Play Final Fantasy V, on whatever platform you want (SNES, PS1, GBA, phone, Steam, emulator) with the jobs given to you by the custom RNG bot and benevolent overlord, Gilgabot!

Q: When does it start?
The fiesta begins on on June  19th or the completion of ~*~the run~*~ (details on the main site)
Registration is LIVE!
It runs through the end of August, so there's plenty of time and no rush (except for #BERSERKERRISK).  You can even register once the fiesta has begun, register for another run after you finish so no worries if you check this topic out later.

Q: What do I need to sign up?
A: A twitter account.  That's it.  You can totally make a throwaway twitter account for this; just make sure you will be able to remember the password.  It's used to tweet at Gilgabot for commands, such as signing up, revealing jobs, and reporting victories.  If you have a private account, you'll need to either unlock it when you send the command tweets or send a message to get added to Gilgabot's friend list (I can give instructions if needed)
~*~NEW THIS YEAR~*~ is a log-in function based on your Twitter account, so you can see all your runs from years gone by!

Q: How does the four job thing work?
A: This depends on the ruleset you choose.  This also might vary since I'm writing this before everything is live
In Standard, once you get your first crystal and reveal your first job, your entire party will be locked into that job.  As you get the new jobs, you need to have one representative of each available job at all times (excluding when you have insufficient party members to do so, in those cases just make sure everyone has a different job).  You can swap jobs as often as you want within that limitation, and mix and match the abilities you learn freely.  This is what you will sign up for by default.
In Natural Only, each character is locked to Freelancer until you get their respective crystal - at which point the character is locked forever into whatever job you got for that crystal.  No mixing and matching jobs.  This is the tougher one by a significant margin! 
 Upgrade is sort of a mix between the two modes.  Your entire party will start out all the same job just as a standard run.  However, once the next set of jobs is available you can choose when to ~upgrade~ your full team to your next assigned job. You can keep using any skills you learned previously and equip them on your new jobs, so have fun grinding  and hope Gilgabot has mercy on you for your endgame job  :V

Q: Which run choice do I pick?
A: There's several sets of runs that affect what classes you can obtain:
Regular is the original mode, you will receive one random Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth job at each crystal.  This is what I'd recommend for a first timer.
Random will open up additional jobs for each crystal - any job that you haven't obtained yet that is also up for grabs.  For instance, the Water crystal may also unlock a new Wind job instead, and the Earth could hand you any job in the game.  You're more likely to receive jobs from the first crystals as a result, and very unlikely to see an Earth crystal job.
Chaos Mode is similar to Random, except that any job is up for grabs for each crystal.  This means you have a pretty decent chance of not getting a job from the Wind crystal and needing to No Job Siesta a bit longer.  This mode also enables the possibility of rolling the same job for multiple crystals!
~*~New~*~Popular Mode is similar to Chaos Mode, but it's weighted towards jobs that were voted for on Twitter a little bit ago.  Chaos mode for people who are afraid of getting 3 Geomancers and a Dragoon, basically.
Pure Chaos Mode is if you want Chaos but don't want dupes.  As a bonus Mime and Freelancer are also up for grabs!
Team 750 and Team No 750 is a modifier this year that divides the classes in half in the general theme of Magic vs Physical (or close enough to allow an even divide) named after the cost of an elemental rod, as using/breaking one in battle to cast a powerful spell is a common tactic for mages.  The breakdowns are:
  • Team 750:  Wind - White Mage/Black Mage/Blue Mage       Water - Time Mage/Summoner/Red Mage     Fire -  Geomancer/Bard    Earth -  Chemist/Dancer
  • Team No 750: Wind - Thief/Monk/Knight     Water - Mystic Knight/Berserker     Fire - Ninja/Beastmaster/Ranger     Earth - Dragoon/Samurai
Classic will assign you one of the six original FF1 classes at each job, and can assign you multiples of the same job.  This is automatically under Natural Only rules, as above.  Could be potentially hellish (four white mages is a legit risk)

~*~New~*~#Krile will overwrite your prior Earth Crystal roll with a new job (following whatever run type you are on) when Krile joins your team.  You can't use any skills from your prior final roll, so a sort of do-over but only for the 4th job.

Q: Berserker Risk?
A: Based on the amount of donations received before preregistration ends vs the number of players who signed up for this, those players will be guaranteed to receive at least one Berserker and maybe more depending on job mode!  You can only sign up for Berserker Risk before the Fiesta begins so choose wisely.  They're quite a challenging class to work with due to really being entirely out of your control, but that doesn't mean they're bad.  Just brace yourself!

To clarify, adding #BERSERKKERRISK to a Regular run will lock you into getting a 'zerker for your Water crystal job and that's it (they will always hit the bare minimum of donations)  Adding it to a Random run opens up the possibility of your Fire and/or Earth crystal jobs getting overridden by THE RISK.  And Chaos Mode?  Hope you're ready for the chance of FOUR BERSERKERS  :o 
In my opinion/experience, having just one isn't much of a liability outside of a few battles and for some teams it'd be a great source of damage throughout the game.  If you really want a risk, make sure to sign up for Chaos or Random!

Q: I don't know Final Fantasy V that well...
A: What a great time to come play the best one!  Our buddy Garlyle is some sort of FF5 Wizard and wrote a handbook (it's written using SNES terms, but a number of us in here can translate so don't be hesitate to ask for clarification!) specifically oriented towards the FJF that covers more or less everything you'd ever want to know to make the most of the game's mechanics, the classes you've drawn, to help you figure out boss strategies, etc.  Also, MotK has several veterans of this challenge, and we'll always be available to offer a helping hand if you stumble or just run face first into a brick wall.
And yes, this is totally a great excuse to play FFV for the first time!

FOR NEW PLAYERS: I recommend doing a Normal run for your first playthrough.  Don't let all these wacky options scare you!

Q: Is there any way I can watch someone miss on Byblos 6 times in a row and laugh at her misfortune?
A: A few of us will be streaming our runs!  Come check us out, subscribe to keep on top of stream times and post if you got a link I missed!

Garlyle
triangles
Arashi (maybe??)

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
Me: "I wanna try this !"
Brain: "But you never ever played FFV !"
Me: "Well shit you are right... but whatever !"

Teach me mastahs.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Oh boy oh boy! I've been waiting and ready! Admittedly I'll probably just roll with a chaos non-natural run like I did last year and maybe post about it a handful of times like last year. Speaking of which, last year went real smoothly, but I have to give another Salty Sour Grapes award to the red mage class, which I found out the hard was was all fashion and no function. :(
Me: "I wanna try this !"
Brain: "But you never ever played FFV !"
Me: "Well shit you are right... but whatever !"

Teach me mastahs.
We've walked a number of people through tricky spots in the past and we'll do it again!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:35:26 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
I was thinking I wouldn't have time to do it, but actually, I could play during my lunch breaks... I wanted to try it for a while.

triangles

ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Meanwhile.....

This will be my what, 5th year?
It's about time I do THE RISK

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
You know what the problem is this year?

The FJF starts like a day after FFXIV Stormblood launches.

RIP any chance of me finishing a run this year

triangles

You have this game basically memorized I believe in you to squeeze out at least one run even with the advent of sexy sexy Red Mages and Samurai on the horizon  :3

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
ONE OF US
ONE OF US

Meanwhile.....

This will be my what, 5th year?
It's about time I do THE RISK

Madwoman.

Anyways, i wanna do this run completely blind, never played before, never seen the bosses, dunno anything about the jobs, quite literally blind to what is in it other than the basic commands.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
I am hesitating between a Normal and Random run for a first time, since I already played FFV. I feel like Random is potentially funnier, but also potentially more frustrating...

triangles

If you never played the game before, I recommend doing the Standard/Normal mode.  It's unlikely you'll get a completely dud team with how the crystals are distributed, which is more than one can say for Random (can select from any job currently unlocked) or Chaos (all jobs are on the table, even ones you cannot use yet)

Now you can stack the deck in your favor with easier jobs by using the RegPopular mode that's new this year, as the voted upon classes are more than likely the more OP ones.  But I still think doing it the Standard mode for your first time is best.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Starting with a regular old Chaos run this year.  We shall see if the Water Crystal has mercy upon me!

I might stream some depending on whether or not I get a god damned job before the Fiesta starts.  We shall seeeeeee.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

triangles

Streaaaaaaaam
do it do it don't let me be the only one who's going to stream her inevitable zerker/zerker/zerker/geomancer disasterfest.

(I start work June 12th and welp I ain't letting it stop me!)

Reddyne

Streaaaaaaaam
do it do it don't let me be the only one who's going to stream her inevitable zerker/zerker/zerker/geomancer disasterfest.

(I start work June 12th and welp I ain't letting it stop me!)
I mean really I think this sort of thing comes down to motivation and harsh reality. I'd do it but don't want to hold a schedule and futz with the audio 100 times when half of my audience lives in the same apartment that I do.  :V
Starting with a regular old Chaos run this year.  We shall see if the Water Crystal has mercy upon me!

I might stream some depending on whether or not I get a god damned job before the Fiesta starts.  We shall seeeeeee.
Aw fuck not this shit again. :(

theshirn

Aw fuck not this shit again. :(
The world turns, and everything is the same, man.

It's not so bad this time, for Reasons, at least.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
Hello there lively people in the fiesta! It's me again, your resident Jester that couldn't as much beat Omega in all of his runs

This will be my 3rd year here, and I hope this year's going to be fun as well.

Stream? What's that? (no one's gonna watch me either + I'm abusing fast forward a lot)

Not really a fan of the new modes myself. Fifth Job would be neat if you didn't have to drop the previous 4th job's abilities.

Also looking back on the player history, why did I not bother with beating Omega with a Monk, Knight, Mystic Knight, White Mage party(even if it was natural)? That was the one run I've had that didn't triple victory, and it wasn't even due to the team not being able to do it. I've had some teams that had that fight way, way worse but were still able to do it and have yet to roll a team that actually could not do it.

Since I don't care for the new additions, I'll probably be sticking with Chaos and Pure Chaos this year. Went with a repeat of the category I did first last year for the first (Chaos No 750 Berserker Risk, and not Natural so I can't avoid quadzerking unless I roll something usable before it)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:22:44 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

triangles

If you plan on streaming let me know and I'll update the OP!

I'm going to try and convince members of my orchestra to join in the fiesta festivities this gonna be good.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Still got my no 750 run for fun I was doing to finish up, then it's 750 this time around. If I make it through fast enough and have the time, I'll go for the purest of chaos. Still, agoijefiojweoij starts on the 19th, Stormblood early access is the 16th, proper release on the 20th, why this.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

theshirn

My biggest problem with streaming is that I've played way too much FFV to go through it without massive speedup, especially if I get a team that has to grind a bunch, and that's not exactly fun to watch (or listen to).

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
I decided to take it easy for now and I will do a Normal Run for my first playthrough. It should be fun.

triangles

Yes it will be! Glad to have you aboard the FIESTA HYPE TRAIN

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
It begin again, huh? Well then, I think I'll give it a try this time. I think I'll play Popular Run (Eventhough I still prefer to play by my own rules). Hope that I don't get crappy Job.

Note: I didn't know that registering uses your Twitter username. So I ended up registering with my real name. Besides, My nickname is 16 characters long without space. Twitter only support up to 15 characters.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
I'm gonna sit this one out, myself. I did all the tablet dungeons last year, and while it would be nice to roll a team that could cheese Omegaryu, I don't have much interest in either of them. I will, however, do something I haven't done casually...The Sealed Temple. That should be...Fun. :V

triangles

Coming up this weekend!

The run looks solidly middle of the ground - White Mage, Zerker, Beastmaster, Dragoon.   

Fiesta hype hype hype!

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
Well, Shinryu's toast this The Run, that's for sure. And maybe Omega. Can't wait!
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

triangles

I suspect all of THE RUN is gonna be played on a platform !Calm-locking is valid so that robot is gonna get robowned.

Reddyne

Omega is totally viable with 3 !Calm users and... either the draggy with a trident or maybe the zerker with the rune axe plus !White? Omega is F A S T though so I dunno how things would bump up against that in practice. !Calm HAS given me the edge in previous matches with Omega though.

Forgetful Edit: !Control is tons of fun but not real conducive to speedrunning. I'm kinda curious as to what shenanigans they might pull with BESTmaster having so many tricks up its sleeve. Kinda thinking that they'll churn out out some ridiculous !Catch/Release scheme.

Double-post-dodging edit: Almost $10k worth of berserkers for the berserker tree! It looks like there's more in the donation box this year but maybe fewer people playing? I dunno I forget what the numbers typically are. Regardless, it's rather frustrating to watch this thing start at like the least convenient time of the week.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:46:53 PM by Reddyne »

triangles

Looks like 1.6ish zerkers per risker, but I'm not sure how the numbers shake out for the punks who do DA RISK but on Normal mode so they cap out at one zerker.

Wind Roll: Berserker

Unlocked Water even though I haven't played yet because I know it's gonna be Berserker due to risk: Berserker

I think I know which version I'm doing this on.