Author Topic: Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery  (Read 114606 times)

Re: Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
So who are these 'other guys'

Etarnity Lurvers

« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2017, 03:19:02 AM »
We're back. This time the translation's from some buggers named "Etarnity Lurvers".

Content Warning: Complete anti-climatic filler that goes no where and completely fails on a fundamental storytelling level. Seriously ZUN? You can do better at this. You know somethings wrong when fucking fan fic writers are better at writing fight scenes than the creator of the series they're writing for. Weak.

[moriya]Please don't link to official material, particularly official material that has been licensed in the west.[/moriya]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:45:29 PM by Suwako Moriya »
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »
that's called "the game got delayed and oh crap this screws up our manga scheduling"

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
that's called "the game got delayed and oh crap this screws up our manga scheduling"

Right? I've been thinking this for a while.
Like, there's literally no mention about AoCF "perfect possesion" incident anymore. I wonder if ZUN had to think about something in the meantime.

Drake

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2017, 01:57:08 AM »
I don't really think so. This entire volume of FS has been part of the same arc and focused on the same things. We have connections to HSiFS from both Fairies and FS so it's been kept busy -- WaHH has typically been the one to tie into the fighting game stories and I think that would be the case for AoCF as well. That being said, it definitely sucks that we have dates on when the incident started and around when the game events should be taking place, since that does screw up manga tie-ins. It's hard to say how ZUN is going to handle it, maybe he'll just keep it in the past.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »
Forbidden Scrollery is going to conclude

http://blog.livedoor.jp/coleblog/archives/52089578.html

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
Forbidden Scrollery is going to conclude

http://blog.livedoor.jp/coleblog/archives/52089578.html

What is this about? I don't speak Japanese.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »
I passed the page through translator and apparently it says FS is completed.
I'm a bit sad since FS is my fav Touhou manga. I hope something else comes next, or at least that VFiS will come out more often :<

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »
I suppose this offers up another possible explanation as to why they put out yet another cliffhanger in the most recent chapter.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »
Inb4 Yen Press gives it an official logo and reuse that same logo

seriously i hate when companies do that

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
So, the last chapter is safely translated. I liked the series a lot, and the conclusion is quite satisfying. What do you think?

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
So Yen Press finally acknowledged that it's going to be released next month on tumblr:
http://yenpress.tumblr.com/post/166332193270/forbidden-scrollery-vol-1-by-zun-where-else

(If all the text is white, you'll have to select the text)

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:20 AM »
2 days later. Nobody commented.
Also, nobody seems to have noticed (except Clarste) that the manga will not carry "Touhou Suzunaan" prefix. Just "Forbidden Scrollery".
So, unless it's on the spine, it's an issue for any newcomers; they'll be lost unless they search about that original manga or Zun. And apparently, it's hard to follow if you haven't have a basic understanding of Touhou...

Yen Press, don't screw it up!
(see cover in above link)

Drake

« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »
I'm seeing the opposite. They've been using "Forbidden Scrollery" as the title since the beginning; cuc mentioned it on the first page. Yen Press titles are generally either entirely translated titles when they can or use some of the original title if that's how the work is generally referred to already. FS doesn't have this problem since basically nobody in the english fandom calls it Suzunaan, and there's no way "Touhou Suzunaan" would be translated, so I can easily see the logic here. I don't think missing "Touhou" from the title will mess up searching at all because of how unique the title is, even though personally I prefer the full title.

I think it's basically guaranteed at this point that the book being part of the Touhou series will be made obvious. The Amazon listing for vol.1 didn't give much info, but if you haven't noticed, volume 2 is now up for preorder as well, with the description "In the mystic realm of Gensokyo, library worker Kosuzuna awakens to her ability to read demon books. This volume crosses over with the games Double Dealing Character and Hopeless Masquerade of the Japanese hit franchise, Touhou!"
Additionally the book series is now listed in Amazon, where it is called "Touhou Suzunaan - Forbidden Scrollery. Book Series", even including the fancy period which basically nobody pays attention to.

"Kosuzuna" aside, they explicitly say it's part of the Touhou franchise. They use "Gensokyo", and most importantly it mentions it overlaps with events of DDC and HM; this shows they're aware there is extra context required to understand the book, which bodes well for priming readers to acknowledge that the book is part of a larger body of works. Manga in general are not averse to having forewords and afterwords by the editors, and if they follow this (admittedly small) trend I figure the back cover and some sort of word from the editor would establish important things about the overall series. Some more rudimentary details about the setting and characters are also given by the margin notes in the original manga (filling in basic details about the setting is their whole purpose), which I assume will be included.

You could say I'm reading too much into this from little information, but I think there's more evidence for being hopeful they'll handle it fine than evidence for being wary.

EDIT: Actually looking at my tankobon there are no margin notes so they probably won't be included here either. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:14:13 AM by Drake »

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2017, 07:11:55 AM »
"Kosuzuna" might be a typo, seeing that her name is correctly spelt as "Kosuzu" in the description of Volume 1.
That being said, I hope that the typo doesn't stick around, and that it is the only mistake...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2017, 10:59:25 PM »
So there was another blog entry.

I couldn't help but notice this :

Say hello to Mokou Fujiwarano, Tojiko Sogano and Miko Toyosatomimino.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »
Futo Mononobeno
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Drake

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2017, 12:08:28 AM »
"Hiedano" here happened as a silly consequence of furigana. If you weren't aware, basically all kanji in FS is written with furigana over it.
In the book, Akyu's name is indeed written 「稗田 阿求(ひえだの あきゅう)」, or quite literally "hiedano akyuu". Japanese readers with context will probably know what this means, and be able to read 稗田 simply as "hieda"; what either happened here is that the translators figured (without knowing why) that the hiragana reading superseded the literal reading of the kanji, which is something that does happen, or they just got a bit lazy and transliterated the name directly from the furigana (which in most cases would be correct!). However, this is also consistently how her name is written throughout the book, so it is entirely possible it'll stay that way lol, but if that is the case they're going to get messed up when the Hieda family itself is referenced and it's read as "Hieda" lol.

That being said even if it stays this way it's pretty unimportant all things considered and I hope people don't explode into a fit over this.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:10:05 AM by Drake »

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2017, 12:46:17 AM »
Say "Hiedano" out loud. Tell me that doesn't sound kind of stupid.

And that's why i am not looking forward to this translation, sorry Drake. Mark me up as a whiner i guess.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2017, 01:44:12 AM »
"Hiedano" here happened as a silly consequence of furigana. If you weren't aware, basically all kanji in FS is written with furigana over it.
In the book, Akyu's name is indeed written 「稗田 阿求(ひえだの あきゅう)」, or quite literally "hiedano akyuu". Japanese readers with context will probably know what this means, and be able to read 稗田 simply as "hieda"; what either happened here is that the translators figured (without knowing why) that the hiragana reading superseded the literal reading of the kanji, which is something that does happen, or they just got a bit lazy and transliterated the name directly from the furigana (which in most cases would be correct!). However, this is also consistently how her name is written throughout the book, so it is entirely possible it'll stay that way lol, but if that is the case they're going to get messed up when the Hieda family itself is referenced and it's read as "Hieda" lol.

That being said even if it stays this way it's pretty unimportant all things considered and I hope people don't explode into a fit over this.

When profesionnal translators can't even get the context correct when they should is totally why I don't buy these. Translators should not only know a language from A-to-Z, but also know historical context to the language. And know that in Japan, in the old times, people were called "X of Y" and not "X Y" like today. Eastern culture was probably the only one like that, maybe, but that's just unexecusable. Hell, a translator could've just seen what the fanbase were calling her.

Good thing, I saved 25$ not because I don't like ZUN but because I don't want to encourage """small mistakes""" like that from a company that's supposed to be hiring profesionnal translators. And, you know, removing these two letters fixes everything and I'd buy it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:52:55 AM by Lebon14 »

Drake

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:35 AM »
It's fair to whine about, especially since it isn't something a casual reader would be aware of. "Hiedano Akyu" as last-first name order wouldn't even be really wrong, just badly communicated, while "Akyu Hiedano" is actually wrong.

I just don't think it's productive to doomsay and get up into a fit when that reaction, if given momentum, can have real and significant impacts on sales. I don't think this error itself would actually push people away from buying the book, but collective fandom moaning about what are really quite trivial errors can be that influence to convince people not to buy it. Criticism is important but not to the level of sabotaging your own chance at successful releases going into the future.

EDIT: And above we see a prime example.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:54:13 AM by Drake »

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2017, 01:54:22 AM »
EDIT: And above we see the prime example.

I edited the post with more thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:18:04 AM by Lebon14 »

Drake

« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »
Alright. As a counterargument, if you would buy the book if it didn't have these small errors, consider the possibility of second editions, which publishers can do, as well as the fact that more books are planned to be released. What is there to be gained by not buying the first volume if these errors can be corrected going forward? All you do by not buying the book is tell the publishers to drop the series. Refusing to buy the book because of errors doesn't say "there are errors and so I am not buying it until you fix them", it's saying "I don't want this". Like I said just above, criticism is important but not to the level of sabotaging the thing that you actually do want. It makes no sense to ask for published translations and then not buy them because they aren't up to your standards for entirely fixable errors. Meanwhile, you can give criticism to the publishers while also still supporting the books. They will not have the chance to change things if you don't, and everybody loses.

If the whole thing is irredeemably crap, then sure maybe it isn't worth supporting? But that remains to be seen, and should be given the benefit of the doubt at least for the first volume. It is also somewhat likely that if Yen Press fails, other publishers aren't going to just decide to pick it up. You should treat this as a valuable opportunity.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:06:55 AM by Drake »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2017, 02:08:55 AM »
I don't want to be one of those doom-and-gloom naysayers but I just remembered Yen Press was the company that picked up Yotsuba& after ADV went kaput. They made lots of weird translation choices (keeping honorifics, changing Boxerman to Pantsman, changing Cardbo to Danbo though that might have been at the request of the JP side) so that combined with this new info has tempered my expectations somewhat. I'll still buy the book out of support but I'm probably going to mail them my full thoughts afterwards if I find it sub-par.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
Miko Toyosatomimino

Drake

« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2017, 02:25:47 AM »
I'll still buy the book out of support but I'm probably going to mail them my full thoughts afterwards if I find it sub-par.
Same. At no point am I saying "don't criticize them and support them no matter what lol!!", but not buying the book at all because you feel like it's boycotting bad translations, or encouraging an atmosphere for others to not buy it, is not at all a productive method to solving these problems. If it sucks (and maybe even if it doesn't) I'll be sending them feedback.

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2017, 02:25:54 AM »
Alright. As a counterargument, if you would buy the book if it didn't have these small errors, consider the possibility of second editions, which publishers can do, as well as the fact that more books are planned to be released. What is there to be gained by not buying the first volume if these errors can be corrected going forward? All you do by not buying the book is tell the publishers to drop the series. Refusing to buy the book because of errors doesn't say "there are errors and so I am not buying it until you fix them", it's saying "I don't want this". Like I said just above, criticism is important but not to the level of sabotaging the thing that you actually do want. It makes no sense to ask for published translations and then not buy them because they aren't up to your standards for entirely fixable errors. Meanwhile, you can give criticism to the publishers while also still supporting the books. They will not have the chance to change things if you don't, and everybody loses.

If the whole thing is irredeemably crap, then sure maybe it isn't worth supporting? But that remains to be seen, and should be given the benefit of the doubt at least for the first volume. It is also somewhat likely that if Yen Press fails, other publishers aren't going to just decide to pick it up. You should treat this as a valuable opportunity.

This first look doesn't give good vibes and what Forza added doesn't give me confidence either (despite not being his intention).

If they correct themselves with a 2nd edition, I'll buy it. I know I can't distinguish much between a good TL and a bad one, but character names is one of my pet peeves; especially if an editor decides to just ignore what fans have been calling a characters for so long and that they've (the fans) done a better job by looking into the name of character, what each kanji means and the historical context behind them as well (if they are based on something). If they are hiring profesionnals, it gives their work a very bad vibe just by saying that.

To potential newcomers, it'll confuse them and that's not good.

EDIT: I can't spell tonight.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:27:42 AM by Lebon14 »

Drake

« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2017, 02:38:00 AM »
You didn't respond to what I said though. I know you think this is bad and needs correcting; I obviously agree, but it isn't the point. You say you'd buy a second edition, or further volumes if they fix the errors, but if they don't get the support to even make those volumes then you won't be getting it regardless. I also imagine that the more successful a series is, the more work they put into it; and conversely the less popular, the fewer people working on it and the more room for error. If you don't want to buy it twice or whatever, that's one thing, but that isn't the same as trying to boycott it because of errors.

(Personally I think it would be neat to own a first edition copy with errors that they fix in later runs, but that's just me.)

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2017, 03:04:47 AM »
Maybe. I'm also the VERY picky kind. You can just ask Forza of how picky I am. If it does not meet my criterias, I'm not buying and it goes for everything. It's not a matter of "They need your support to continue!"; it's because I'm just way too picky. There's also the fact that I never bought books beside school related stuff. Like... never. I rented Dragonball mangas when I was very young and then... Touhou mangas were the only mangas I've followed since. It's maybe not a good reason for you, but for me, it is. So, in order for me to buy a good that I'm not usually into, it needs to be good; very good even.

Drake

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2017, 03:16:47 AM »
It being a personal decision is perfectly fine, I'm not going to try to guilt-trip you or anything. I'm more concerned with one's personal commentary having an unintended effect on other people with negative consequences.