Author Topic: Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery  (Read 114030 times)

Drake

Re: Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
It looks incredibly silly and does nothing to inform the audience but is ultimately not a big deal.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

myon

• Excellence
« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »
True, I suppose the majority who is picking up the mangas are people already familiar with the character, so it's not gonna cause any real confusion.

Drake

« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2017, 10:20:56 PM »
I'm also considering the fact that people not familiar with the series picking up Forbidden Scrollery have much more to be concerned about than name discrepancies from a series they don't know.

« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
I'm also considering the fact that people not familiar with the series picking up Forbidden Scrollery have much more to be concerned about than name discrepancies from a series they don't know.
Ditto.
The large amount of cameos, for example.
Je pense, donc je suis.

« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:59 AM »
So, aside from the Hiedano thing, how is it?

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
So, aside from the Hiedano thing, how is it?

Arranged it so that I got mine as a Christmas present and finished it during today's lunch break. It was a pleasant read.

Spoiler:
Kosuzu is so very precious. I can see why people like her despite never appearing in games and having no spellcards. It also cracks me up that Mamizou's disguise is so easy to see through for the actual reader and you're just supposed to suspend your disbelief.
Byakuren starring in the closing one-off story but not actually being Byakuren but still reacting as Byakuren to the Tanuki's death in the end might have been the best part of it all

Drake

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Volumes 3 and 4 are up for preorder, released May 22 and August 21 respectively; currently 4 doesn't have a listing for paperback though.

« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »
Actually, a Paperback listing for Vol. 4 along with an e-book listing for Vol. 5 appeared. With the current release schedule, we can expect Vol. 7 to come out in late May next year.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2019, 06:40:53 AM »
Megabump, but the final volume has been released. The first official Touhou translation is completed.

So, anyone got all volumes? Anything interesting as far as translation goes? (Besides "Akyu Hiedano", that is.)

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56:28 PM »
So, anyone got all volumes? Anything interesting as far as translation goes? (Besides "Akyu Hiedano", that is.)

Finished the series today, had a very good time. You could say vol. 1 to 5 are mostly filler episodes to get you acquainted with the characters and setting so that the stakes are higher at the end. For the last 2 manga, Forbidden Scrollery picks up the pace and goes somewhere.
I didn't find any names or phrases of which the translation offended me. There was always a register at the end explaining a few mythologies or proverbs that were used. I assume that wasn't in the original japanese?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2019, 02:54:33 AM »
I've got all of the volumes buried throughout my stack of unread books. I've read the first three in hard copy and I don't have any particular comment about the translation, but I'm not very knowledgeable about that kind of thing.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.