Author Topic: Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery  (Read 113995 times)

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Such in a flash, Yen Press (a North-American publisher known for publishing diverse mangas, graphic novels and other Asian graphic-related content) has just licensed Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery.
Preorder already opened on Amazon.

Release date is set on November 14th, 2017.
No further details have been determined.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:38:00 AM by cuc »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Yen Press licenses Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:52:02 AM »
Yes, it's inevitable from the moment FS was announced, and from a publisher most likely to do it (because Kadokawa bought into them last year).

Suzunaan had the best setup as an entry point for people into Touhou, even though it still ended up requiring tons of pre-existing knowledge from readers.

Quote from: Amazon
Forbidden Scrollery, Vol. 1 – November 14, 2017
by Moe Harukawa (Author), ZUN (Artist)

Where else would a girl with the power to translate any tome she sets in her lap reside except a library? Sure, some books may be more dangerous than others, but that's far from discouragement for a true bibliophile like Kosuzu Motoori!

About the Author
ZUN is the creator of the Touhou Project series and wrote the Forbidden Scrollery manga.

Moe Harukawa is the illustrator of the Forbidden Scrollery manga.

Series: Forbidden Scrollery (Book 1)
Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Yen Press (November 14, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0316511897
ISBN-13: 978-0316511896

Quote from: Yen Press
Sub-Genres
Comics & Graphic Novels / Manga / Fantasy

Format: Trade Paperback
    ISBN-13: 9780316511896
    Price: $13.00 US / $17.00 CAN
    On Sale Date: 11/14/2017

Format: Electronic Book
    ISBN-13: 9780316511971
    Price: $6.99 US / $8.99 CAN
    On Sale Date: 11/14/2017

Quote from: Barnes & Noble
Age Range: 13 - 18 Years
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:38:44 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 01:45:14 AM »
Day 0 buy holy shit
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 01:58:32 AM »
I'd like to buy that but I'll wait for translation feedback before comitting myself to it.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 02:12:36 AM »
by Moe Harukawa (Author), ZUN (Artist)
:getdown:

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 02:31:16 AM »
That price. That publisher. AND ON KINDLE TOO!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA!
I'm buying this right away. It's great to know that the official manga is now being sold overseas in English, and I have faith in YP producing good translations as I've read a lot of their licensed works. There's no better way to support ZUN and the artists that make this possible than to buy official works from official sources, so this is a purchase I'm definitely making. Hoping this sets a precedent for more official Touhou content in the West! WaHH would be nice, as would VFiS or anything else I missed!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:32:50 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
I'd like to buy that but I'll wait for translation feedback before comitting myself to it.

Yeah, that's my biggest concern ? considering how NISA has transtaled some of the PS4 fangames.
Still, I think this is such an exciting announcement. I didn't expect this o:

The downside is paper size I'd say. Paperback is ~30x30mm smaller than original size (A5).

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 02:56:35 AM »
Yeah, that's my biggest concern ? considering how NISA has transtaled some of the PS4 fangames.
Still, I think this is such an exciting announcement. I didn't expect this o:

Exactly! For exemple, we've known our small Darkness youkai has "Rumia" since the beginning, not "Lumia". If Yen Press preserves names and conserves stuff as we've known them as, I'm all in. I'm buying the manga. I'm mainly a Touhou fan fore lore and mangas afterall...

And, yes, indeed. That's a great news otherwise!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
oh my god i am going to buy all of them

Exactly! For exemple, we've known our small Darkness youkai has "Rumia" since the beginning, not "Lumia". If Yen Press preserves names and conserves stuff as we've known them as, I'm all in. I'm buying the manga. I'm mainly a Touhou fan fore lore and mangas afterall...

And, yes, indeed. That's a great news otherwise!

For what it's worth "Lumia" is probably the "correct" way of spelling her name. There is no official english romanization of it in the games and it's just something the early Touhou fanbase made up, much like Flandre's name.

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:27:46 AM »
I've woken up at 04:00am just to buy it. This is probably a poor decision both for my body clock and my wallet. It's not that expensive either though. It's about the price you'd expect from a book. It'll be nice to have a physical copy of Forbidden Scrollery. I was planning on buying a physical copy of volume 5 even if it was in Japanese. It's good to know I can also get it in a language I understand. This is also a good excuse to re-read all of Forbidden Scrollery.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 03:39:43 AM »
After all the years of unofficial English translations for the entire Touhou franchise, we finally have something that will receive an official English translation.

But I just hope that Yen Press doesn't butcher the Japanese terms into something else. inb4 "Tsukumogami" becomes "Living Items"
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 04:10:37 AM »
Preorder placed!

inb4 "Tsukumogami" becomes "Living Items"

Maybe I'm being dumb, but what difference would that make now?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

cuc

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 05:11:47 AM »
I, for one, look forward to more "Akyu Hieda" and "Kokoro Hata". Yes, I know these have already been in NISA's localization.

Incidentally, this is actually why I support writing all Japanese-style Touhou names surname first - there are too many aristocrats around, and having three different name orders - Western names, Japanese names in Western order, Japanese aristocrats - is so weird. You can't even excuse it with "but the aristocrats are ancient", when some of these non-aristocrats are far older.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:48:04 AM by cuc »

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 05:44:14 AM »
One of the NISA games used "Princess Wakasagi".

cuc

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 05:59:23 AM »
One of the NISA games used "Princess Wakasagi".
Yet they kept the honorifics in Genso Wanderer - the enemies are clones of real characters with honorifics attached, like "Yuyuko-sama" and "Futo-san". They seem to expect players to know their "chan" from "san".

"Princess Wakasagi" isn't necessarily wrong, just cumbersome. It makes one want to simply call her "Wakasagi", when the "-hime" part isn't meant to be detachable.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:05:26 AM by cuc »

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 06:54:36 AM »
I have no solid proof but apparently any Japanese name in Genso Wanderer is translated by the developer himself.

That's why there is still stuff like Shirenbyo, Koumakan and Kishinjo in the game but they are inconsistent. In one scene, it is Hall of Dream's Great Mausoleum but Shinreibyo in the next.

Also, it is Wakasagihime in Genso Wanderer.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 08:03:20 AM »
oh my god i am going to buy all of them

For what it's worth "Lumia" is probably the "correct" way of spelling her name. There is no official english romanization of it in the games and it's just something the early Touhou fanbase made up, much like Flandre's name.
The wiki has a page about official naming.
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Characters/Spelling_discrepancies

And apparently Rumia and Flandre along with a bunch of other early characters are official?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
Looking forward to this. Hope they hire a writer who actually knows Touhou lore. I don't mind if they deviate from fandom terms (since that's all it ultimately is) if they do it intelligently.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »
I'm not too worried about the names so much as cryptic little references to the plots of the games and whatnot. If you're not deeply familiar with all of Touhou, it's easy to miss that sort of thing and translate it out of existence.

cuc

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
I'm all prepared to feast on fan tears over what they get wrong, and delight in what they get right.

Another thing I look forward to: their ideas on translating things taboo to fans. There's nothing wrong in rendering Suzunaan as "The Bell Turnip Library", or Kōrindō as "The Fragrant Rain Shop".

cuc

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
Addenum:
The title is a problem Yen Press can't get away with. They have now taken the shortcut by ditching the main title. This is passable with "Forbidden Scrollery".

But what happens if there is a second season of Touhou Suzunaan? Will, say, "Touhou Suzunaan ~ Books of Paradise." become "Forbidden Scrollery 2: Books of Paradise"?

What happens when they need to do Touhou Sangetsusei? Their subtitles are gibberish that's never going to pass in the English market. At minimum, if they are to only localize VFiS, they'd need to make it "Visionary Fairies in the Shrine", and it'd still not be a very marketable name.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
Looking forward to the terminology we're familiar with getting butchered lol

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »
Or they could just ditch the subtitle there and also call the hypothetical next season "Books of Paradise."

We've already referred to the games and printworks just by the english subtitles for just about for every work so far, including the works with multiple seasons (see: Bougetsushou and Sangetsusei, which are almost never referred to with those, just by the subwork's subtitle in question.) so I'm not terribly surprised here they've chosen to only go for the subtitle here. Hisoutensoku is an exception but it's also unlikely to ever get over here so it can be safely ignored.

I don't really see this as a shortcut here, most fans already either don't care or don't know about the main title and just use the subtitle exclusively. And yes, some of the subtitles are nonsense, but I don't imagine they have any intention of marketing this stuff to anyone who's not already a fan or would be bothered by slightly nonsensical titles. Or even if anything besides FS will find its way over, licensing issues being what they are.

i wonder if they intend on keeping or removing all the erant us in the series (examples: shou ---> sho, akyuu --> akyu).

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/moe-harukawa/forbidden-scrollery-vol-1/9780316511896/?yen also cool seems it's on their site as well now, just no press release yet.

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 01:04:46 AM »
i wonder if they intend on keeping or removing all the erant us in the series (examples: shou ---> sho, akyuu --> akyu).

For the record, I've recently been using Akyu for the Forbidden Scrollery scanslations, and no one's commented on it. So I don't think anyone would care that much.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 01:31:30 AM »
Sho would be much weirder than Akyu, to be fair. I used to use Akyu, maybe sometimes still do.

Also, preordered thanks to powers of birthday~

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 02:45:43 AM »
I don't think Shou has ever come up by name in Forbidden Scrollery, actually. Or any of the comics.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »
Did Shinmyoumaru's species ever been mentioned in FS? I think they're probably going with "Lilliputian" (that's her FS title) or just keep it as "kobito". Will we keep using "inchling" or follow them?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 09:31:27 AM »
If they have any sense they'll ditch "inchling" and go with "gnome."

NO I'M NOT BITTER

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
Gnome remains me of creepy garden gnomes too much for me to like it. I'd perfer Inchling. Sorry.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi