Author Topic: Random Idea: Multiplayer Touhou Game  (Read 4663 times)

HistoryoftheMoon

Random Idea: Multiplayer Touhou Game
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
This is just a fun idea I've had for a while. I think a multiplayer Touhou patch/fangame might actually be pretty fun, albeit chaotic. Here's how it would work, in my eyes:

Each player would have to pick a different shot type/character, depending on the game. In games like UFO and DDC, each shot type would count as a different character. That way, everyone won't just pick the character with the longest invincibility time during their bomb and spam the heck out of it. Also, imagine all the petty arguments over who gets what character! Hilarious. Because of this, the max players would be 4, because of EoSD, and also because any more would clog the screen. Everyone would have separate life counters, but whenever someone got an extend, it would be shared with everyone. In games with life pieces, everyone gets one whenever one is picked up. This works like a Mario game, so that even people who lose all their lives can come back if someone else manages to carry them. (This would be a pretty casual experience, considering how easy it would be to 1CC games.) Everyone has separate power, so that one person dying wouldn't weaken everyone. This means that people need separate bomb counters, too, because of how MoF and SA work. However, I think it would be fair to not share bombs across every player. This makes picking up power and bombs/bomb pieces somewhat strategic. Do you give it to the weakest player, or the one who can use them most effectively? Also, if there are two people, then everyone does half damage. If there are three, a third the usual damage, and so on, so you don't murder everything instantly. I don't know how Score would work, but there could probably be some kind of "score battle" mode where you compete to gain the most score in a run or a stage.

So, yeah. It would mostly just be chaotic fun with friends, like MarioKart or the like. I don't actually have the capability to do this- I only started learning Danmakufu like two weeks ago- and I doubt it will become a reality, but I think it's a cool concept. That's why I put it here instead of in RaNGE.

Also then maybe I could get my friends to play Touhou

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Power should work the same way lives do- everyone has a separate counter but getting one piece gives it simultaneously to everyone. If whoever picked up the piece was the only one who got it, it would just be a fight over who can stay in the POC the longest, and characters like Marisa (from any game, between the guaranteed POC in every game and lowest POC line) and SA!ReimuB would be broken as hell. This would make it easy to just bombspam MoF and SA, but there's probably a fix for that, and hey this was always going to be broken anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:39:25 PM by HistoryoftheMoon »

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
Re: Random Idea: Multiplayer Touhou Game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »
I guess it would be like multiplayer in Bullet Heaven 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojji5wFa5m0

HistoryoftheMoon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
I guess it would be like multiplayer in Bullet Heaven 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojji5wFa5m0
That looks kind of interesting. Is that multiplayer online, or four people huddled around a keyboard?

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
That looks kind of interesting. Is that multiplayer online, or four people huddled around a keyboard?
It's local.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:21:58 AM »
You should also try Jamestown, which is a great 4-player local co-op bullet hell with 4 different shot-types (7 with DLC).
The co-op life system is pretty clever as well. Each player has one life, but dead players can be revived if another player collects a "revive" power-up. This leads to the fun scenario where three dead players are cheering on the last remaining player, hoping for him/her to collect that revive and bring everyone back into play.

Relevant: Co-op play in Touhou (mock gameplay video)
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
Wouldn't that just turn it into an arcade shoot-em-up? Most of those games support 2-player co-op, and it would certainly be nice if Touhou has something like that in the future. Both players share a certain amount of credits and a second player can join in or leave at any time.