Author Topic: Does Reimu's haxbox still exist in touhou 16?  (Read 5099 times)

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
Does Reimu's haxbox still exist in touhou 16?
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
It's a strange question to ask, but in long traditions of Touhou games, Reimu has had a smaller hitbox, and Marisa has had a lower PoC. These were their special character abilities. Other characters had such abilities as well. Sakuya having bigger grazebox/slower item falling speed in some games. Sanae having shorter trance gauge fill in TD and the manual describing her character ability as "homing in" in LoLK. Reisen with the unique bomb-shield.

That begs the question. Does Reimu and Marisa still have their abilities. If so... then does that mean that Aya and Cirno have special abilities? When I read the manual for touhou 16, I didn't see anything about Reimu's smaller hitbox.

Does that mean ZUN took those out?

Or did he keep those abilities in and then just not give Aya or Cirno abilities...

Re: Does Reimu's haxbox still exist in touhou 16?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »
Just today I came across a modded HSiFS demo that changed the stages for those of LoLK; they look like they are 1:1, so I checked with stage 2. If you stay in the bottom center, only Reimu can time out the big fairies before midboss Ringo without shooting, and in this modded HSiFS... she can't. She dies at the same time every other character does there (or in LoLK, for that matter), and I let myself get hit before the fairies appeared to be sure I was on center, so it seems like it's gone.

Marisa still has her lower PoC, at least. As for Cirno and Aya, I haven't played much of either to notice anything so I don't know, but I wouldn't think it weird if their abilities were just "her shot is very wide" and "she moves very fast"

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
This is mostly unrelated to HSiFS, but in several of the games, Reimu's smaller hitbox has existed even when her declared passive ability is something else. In TD it's auto-collecting spirits during trance. In IN, Reimu and Yukari get the even longer than usual deathbomb timer. I don't believe MoF/SA/UFO/LoLK have declared passive abilities at all, only shots/bombs? Though UFO is a special case in that non-Reimu characters' hitboxes vary-- Marisa actually has a very slightly larger hitbox than Sanae, by less than a pixel (mostly noticeable in the proportionately(?) larger graze box).

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
SA has gapping, auto collect and super speed for Reimu, and double options, option formation and power restore on bombs for Marisa.

A minor update on the hitbox thing, HSiFS Reimu can graze Doremy's laser card on the center. If grazebox is proportionate to hitbox, that's another reason to believe she doesn't have a smaller hitbox anymore
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:59:34 PM by Mero »

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:31 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, everyone in TD had different sized hitboxes, with Reimu having the smallest and Marisa(?) having the largest.

It's always possible that Reimu's hitbox just isn't as tiny here as it was in LoLK (which is understandable, as the small hitbox was her selling point in that game). So the fact that original lolk strategies don't work in the mod doesn't necessarily mean it's not still smaller. It just means it's not as small as it was in LoLK.

If she does have a normal sized hitbox, this'd be the first game since EoSD where her hitbox wasn't smaller IIRC. Likewise, Marisa's unfocused speed is always slightly faster, which definitely carried over to this game. A friend told me that Marisa's PoC is lower in this game too, though my computer is currently unplugged so I haven't been able to test it myself.

None of this being in any of the game manuals.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:03:24 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,19789.0.html

in principle, zun is not so hardworking to change his underlying infrastructure

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »
well wouldn't the best way to test this is to find a place where Reimu barely fits without dying and testing with the other characters to see if they can stay there without dying?

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
This might be a dumb statement to those in the know, but wouldn't it be nearly impossible to get the exact same position and movement between runs...? In LoLK we had those aimed V shaped fairy patterns, so if you died just before them you could test it. Here I don't think we have anything like that.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »
This might be a dumb statement to those in the know, but wouldn't it be nearly impossible to get the exact same position and movement between runs...? In LoLK we had those aimed V shaped fairy patterns, so if you died just before them you could test it. Here I don't think we have anything like that.

Not quite sure if an experiment like this would properly work, but I believe that Eternity's first midboss nonspell could work since it by all means looks static on the first green wave.  Same starting position, same pattern.  Could work for testing purposes.