Author Topic: Where to buy Touhou games / merch in Japan  (Read 4669 times)

Where to buy Touhou games / merch in Japan
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »
I wasn't certain if I should post in this section or the general one but here it is, with my apologies if I am mistaken.

Also sorry since I assume this was posted before but I couldn't find what I needed after searching fir a while.

I'm currently in Tokyo and as I would like to try and dive into Touhou, I figured some of you may know where I could buy the games...and possibly other merchandise.

I found some really nice figurines at a decent price in amiami akiba. But thats it for now..

Thanks =)

K.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Where to buy Touhou games / merch in Japan
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:41:26 AM »
Pretty much any doujin store will have the games in stock: Akiba-Hobby, Toranoana, Melonbooks, even Animate might have some. Google Maps should bring up most of the locations.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »
Alright i'll go back to Toranoana and the other places then. I haven't seen anything that looked like games.

I shall try to summon my non existent mastery of Japanese and ask the staff =p.

Thanks for the reply !

K.

N-Forza

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:19 AM »
They keep them with all of the CDs/games so just look in that area and they should be nearby.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »
You say 'doujin store' so casually... I realize, appreciate, and enjoy that 'indie' games are becoming more accepted and promoted here in the west, but... I dream for the day we casually call out 'store's for physical copy/sales of such things here. This opinion of mine is nothing new but never has it been so appropriate for me to post such.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »
I'm not sure what you meant by this replies. Do you mean the copies these store sell are just as illegal as downloads?

Sorry for the trouble heh. I came across books by Zun there that still seemed new and sealed as far as I could tell.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Thanks for the tips here's what the shop had in stock (I hope I won't butcher the titles)

Immaterial and missing power 7.5
Shoot the bullet 9.5
Scarlet weather rhapsody 10.5
Hisoutensoku 12.3
Great fairy wars 12.8
Hopeless Masquerade 13.5
Impossible Spell Card 14.3
Urban Legend in Limbo 14.5

Any recommandation out of those?

Thanks and sorry for the spam!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:19:05 AM by Korgh »

N-Forza

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
Don't mind him, he's just jealous he can't walk into a store and buy the games, hehe.

I figured they would have more of the games in stock though. I did forget to mention one more shop; Akibaoo next to the Kotobukiya. It's a bit harder to find but they'll have pretty much everything as far as official games in the basement floor.

I'd recommend Perfect Cherry Blossom if you can find it but I have a soft spot for Shoot the Bullet and SWR/Hisoutensoku (fighting games). ULiL is also a fighting game and also enjoyable.

And if you're having trouble finding anything, send me a PM and we can arrange a meet-up so I can guide you. I know Akiba like the back of my hand.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
Well darn. I shouldn't have waited so long to sign up, post and shop. Was here for 3 weeks but I'm leaving tomorrow morning.

It'll give me another reason to go back to Japan when I can!

Or if I find a decent opportunity for a job over there =).

Thanks a lot for all the help =)