Author Topic: Too Fast!  (Read 6161 times)

Too Fast!
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
So I recently got a new gaming laptop, and moved my Touhou games to it and, well, it seems that it works too well. Every game 11 onwards goes at a higher speed than it should, 11 to 13 play at 70fps which is manageable but 14 onwards stick to 120 which is... much less so. I've tried searching online and it seems a lot of people have problems with EoSD doing this but that one's working fine, the most I've seen is to use a vSync patch, but for one there doesn't seem to be one for 14 and 14.3 and for two the link to English instructions didn't lead to anything so even my attempt to try the patches that did exist didn't really get working XD So uh, anyone else have similar problems or any advice?

Drake

Re: Too Fast!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »
The "link" to the english instructions is just crediting me and linking to my forum profile here, which you aren't authorized to see if you aren't registered. The actual instructions are in the package lol.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
Is your custom.exe set to Automatic or Fast?
Does your laptop have GSync?
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
The "link" to the english instructions is just crediting me and linking to my forum profile here, which you aren't authorized to see if you aren't registered. The actual instructions are in the package lol.
Okay so that was my bad, was doing it from the author's page, didn't even notice there was a big download thing on the top ^^;; Well I got that working now, but that still doesn't really help with 14 and 14.3, are there patches for those two somewhere else?

Is your custom.exe set to Automatic or Fast?
Does your laptop have GSync?
Nope, GForce GTX 1080

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
Okay so that was my bad, was doing it from the author's page, didn't even notice there was a big download thing on the top ^^;; Well I got that working now, but that still doesn't really help with 14 and 14.3, are there patches for those two somewhere else?
Nope, GForce GTX 1080
You certain about no G-Sync? What's your laptop model, and what's the native refresh rate of your screen?
Try to set your desktop to a 60Hz resolution first before launching Touhou. See if that fixes things.
Barring that, you can also force-limit the FPS to 60 using RivaTuner Statistics Server. If the game behaves weird, you might also need to open custom.exe and try a different input latency mode (either "Automatic" or "Fast").
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:53:49 PM by shockdude »
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
You certain about no G-Sync? What's your laptop model, and what's the native refresh rate of your screen?
Try to set your desktop to a 60Hz resolution first before launching Touhou. See if that fixes things.
Barring that, you can also force-limit the FPS to 60 using RivaTuner Statistics Server. If the game behaves weird, you might also need to open custom.exe and try a different input latency mode (either "Automatic" or "Fast").

Unless I'm completely missing it, I can't find anything saying there's G-Sync. Laptop is  https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-6RF-Titan-Pro.html#hero-overview

As for the custom, well, it's not translated by the English patch so I'm not quite sure which one of those settings to change ^^;;

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:17:31 AM »
Unless I'm completely missing it, I can't find anything saying there's G-Sync. Laptop is  https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-6RF-Titan-Pro.html#hero-overview

As for the custom, well, it's not translated by the English patch so I'm not quite sure which one of those settings to change ^^;;
120Hz, but no G-Sync. Cool. Very nice laptop btw.
In the custom.exe, it's the set of 4 radio buttons on the right side. Button 3 from the top is "Automatic" and is the default, while Button 4 is "Fast". Leave it at Button 3 for now.
Btw my advice applies to Touhou 14 and 14.3 only. For all other games you should be using the VSync patches.
Again, try setting your screen resolution to 60Hz first, then try RivaTuner, then try RivaTuner + custom.exe Button 4 (Fast).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:21:36 AM by shockdude »

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 01:10:03 AM »
120Hz, but no G-Sync. Cool. Very nice laptop btw.
In the custom.exe, it's the set of 4 radio buttons on the right side. Button 3 from the top is "Automatic" and is the default, while Button 4 is "Fast". Leave it at Button 3 for now.
Btw my advice applies to Touhou 14 and 14.3 only. For all other games you should be using the VSync patches.
Again, try setting your screen resolution to 60Hz first, then try RivaTuner, then try RivaTuner + custom.exe Button 4 (Fast).

Alrighty, this fixed it for the most part, so thanks!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 04:04:03 AM »
Alrighty, this fixed it for the most part, so thanks!
Glad to hear, enjoy. Which fixed it, the 60Hz or RivaTuner?

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
Glad to hear, enjoy. Which fixed it, the 60Hz or RivaTuner?
60Hz. The one downside is it sorta messes up everything else on the laptop when I do that so I need to switch it back and fourth whenever I want to play those two, but at least I can play them at the speed of not death XD