Author Topic: [Music] GenericArrangements' Music: Track 3: Lonely Night ~ Illusionary Night  (Read 28110 times)

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
Re: [Music] GenericArrangements' Music: Arrangement #7
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2018, 08:56:12 AM »
Oops, I missed last month. I was busy.

Arrangement #7: LINK

Really, if I had something else to post (that I was particularly fond of at the moment), I'd post that instead. Unfortunately, I'm very busy, and that's how it's going to be for the next few months.

This is an actual 2A03 chiptune piece (I use FamiTracker for this stuff). I don't believe I've posted one here yet, but uh... yeah. Here's one. Part of the original piece gave me Mega Man vibes (or at least had good opportunities to fiddle with it so that it'd work), so I messed around and got this. Again, not overly spectacular, but it's fine for now.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something more out next time, but really I should be putting my focus into other places right now (and my ability to focus is atrocious lol). Maybe don't expect anything within the next few months (until about December or so), though I never stick to what I say, so actually I'd recommend not trying to expect things... not that... anyone was anyway lol.
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that

Z_A

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
I didn't comment much on your pieces of late, but I probably should. It's actually... well, okay, I'll try to be honest)

#4 is very very good (I do like ska music, like I've said before), the only thing lacking is length: the piece is way too short and the expectations were high (=

#5... funky, very nice! However, between 0:37 and 0:50 the high-pitched synth doesn't do the trick: this part seems a bit empty-ish. The rest is okay though, great job!

#6 OMG OMG I LOVE BOTH PIECES THAT YOU USED but... well... you certainly modified them (but not too much: the Alice's theme is very close to the original, actually), but was the change for the better? I think the original Flowering Night is very good as it is, hence it requires some exceptionally great musical ideas at least not to make a worse arrangement compared to the original, let alone a better one. Your interpretation of the piece is okay, hopefully it represents your vision, but I still prefer the original.

Also, the "Drumkit version" is better.

#7 oh THAT rocks! I'm gonna analyze the piece to learn what I did wrong about Yuuka's theme. This also inspired me to download the Famitracker, but it's kinda complicated... maybe I'll try it someday, HertzDevil is cool and I want to be like him when I grow up etc.

-----
not that... anyone was anyway lol.
Oh please don't be like that, I like what you're doing and you know I follow your work closely to maybe get some hints on how to become a better arranger myself. Anyway... please focus on what's important right now, the arrangements can wait. All your fans, me included, can wait too.

GenericArrangements

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2018, 01:42:04 AM »
#4 is very very good (I do like ska music, like I've said before), the only thing lacking is length: the piece is way too short and the expectations were high (=
Thanks! I love ska music myself, and actually am not too proud of this particular arrangement, though it's more about the mixing than anything. It's short for... "reasons" but I could make an extended version one day.

#5... funky, very nice! However, between 0:37 and 0:50 the high-pitched synth doesn't do the trick: this part seems a bit empty-ish. The rest is okay though, great job!
This one's actually my favourite, enough so that I actually have a modified version on me (which adds a guitar layer and uses the baritone saxophones more, as well as changes to percussion sounds), but I'll post that when I feel it's done. The guitar should fill in enough sound in the section you mentioned.

#6 OMG OMG I LOVE BOTH PIECES THAT YOU USED
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.

but... well... you certainly modified them (but not too much: the Alice's theme is very close to the original, actually), but was the change for the better? I think the original Flowering Night is very good as it is, hence it requires some exceptionally great musical ideas at least not to make a worse arrangement compared to the original, let alone a better one. Your interpretation of the piece is okay, hopefully it represents your vision, but I still prefer the original.
This particular idea is something I consider every so often. In the end, I don't make arrangements in an attempt to be better than the original (because that's kinda hard for most of them). I usually make arrangements to give a new flavour to the melodies. My use of Flowering Night here was just because I needed a good chorus section, styling the whole thing like Rhythm Heaven music, as well as... "reasons" (again), and overall it's got a very different vibe to it, not really trying to be better than the original.

Also, the "Drumkit version" is better.
Yeah.

#7 oh THAT rocks!
Thanks again!

I'm gonna analyze the piece to learn what I did wrong about Yuuka's theme.
The thing here is that I felt your arrangement of Yuuka's theme was meant to be of a different style of rock. As much as there are elements you can use from here, there's plenty of things that won't work, and things you'll have to come up with yourself/research with similar kinds of rock. Particularly try looking for rock pieces in 3/4, as well as maybe rock solos.
I'll usually try to give (slightly shoddy) advice when you post things.

This also inspired me to download the Famitracker, but it's kinda complicated... maybe I'll try it someday, HertzDevil is cool and I want to be like him when I grow up etc.
Oh yeah, Famitracker is really hard to get used to, but really fun when you get the hang of it. Just keep trying and maybe check out a few tutorials and sample projects.

-----Oh please don't be like that, I like what you're doing and you know I follow your work closely to maybe get some hints on how to become a better arranger myself. Anyway... please focus on what's important right now, the arrangements can wait. All your fans, me included, can wait too.
...yeah I often pretend like I'm just throwing things at the wall with no one watching. It just boggles my mind that people actually listen to my silly things.
Also yeah, I'll be focusing on that stuff (which I have), though in pretty much all of my free time I've been making music anyway, so there may still be monthly stuff after all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:45:34 AM by GenericArrangements »

GenericArrangements

Re: [Music] GenericArrangements' Music: Arrangement #8
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »
I mean I know I said that I probably wouldn't post something but then I later said that I would so idk here's something:

Arrangement #8: LINK

I also said it would be stuff lying around (or at least that could be inferred), so here's this thing. Just me messing with orchestral ensembles again. It's actually the result of not achieving my initial goal but sticking with it anyway so it's not amazingly substantial. It is one of my longer works though, considering I usually never go over 3 minutes.

Maybe next month I'll have something of a more interesting nature, though I'd only have about 4 days of free time for it.

Also it has always occurred to me that I should be actually saying what the arrangement is of - if it's not meant to be a "challenge" to figure it out - but I never do it.

something something PC98 Makai always felt more intense than PC98 Hell.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:19:44 AM by GenericArrangements »

Z_A

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
This is nice, a film score-like thingie, I only think that the main rhythm pattern lasts too long and it would be best to introduce the change sooner. Putting that aside, a rather high-quality work.

Also it has always occurred to me that I should be actually saying what the arrangement is of
You probably should, because of copyright issues, though I don't think ZUN will find out any time soon.

Also, it's been bothering me for a while, so: is Akiyama Uni okay with using his works just like ZUN? Since, uh, they are different people and TasoFro and Team Shanghai Alice are different organizations, and maybe have a different opinion about it...

I don't make arrangements in an attempt to be better than the original (because that's kinda hard for most of them). I usually make arrangements to give a new flavour to the melodies.
I started thinking about it as well, so here's what I figured: it's probably not really about which is "better" or which is "worse", but maybe something about finding "undiscovered potential" in a song? For example, Complete Darkness is already amazing as it is, and it has fully discovered its potential, so an arrangement is really out of question, and even though it's chiptune-like, the best that can be done is changing the instruments only a little, while staying as close to the original as possible. Flowering Night (from Phantasmagoria) does indeed have some potential, but most of it has already been discovered in the most popular arrangements, the Akiyama's version from SWR and in the Night of Nights, so like I said, it requires an exceptionally great idea to make a proper arrangement. The idea, as in finding something about the song that, when brought forth in an arrangement, would illuminate it from a different angle, and make it sparkle with fresh meanings like a new thing (wow... such metaphors...). Like what I tried to do with Yuuka's theme: IMO, it has great potential as a rock piece, that noone else hears (well... at least some people don't), and so I tried to show it from that perspective. I think I figured at least some of the problems with my arrangement, so I'll post a fixed version eventually, but that's a thing to be discussed in my thread, not yours =P most of your arrangements do have this "fresh meaning", so yeah, great job!

GenericArrangements

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
This is nice, a film score-like thingie, I only think that the main rhythm pattern lasts too long and it would be best to introduce the change sooner. Putting that aside, a rather high-quality work.
Thanks! I agree, that rhythm lasts too long, but I was lazy, and it's usually how you artificially lengthen a piece in the first place (lol).

You probably should, because of copyright issues, though I don't think ZUN will find out any time soon.
Copyright is less of an issue here, as ZUN doesn't really care as long as I'm not making money off of it in digital downloads or something (like heck will I being doing that anytime soon anyway). I'm not claiming these tracks to be mine, as they're explicitly titled "arrangements", though maybe some more crediting would be good. My concern really was the people at MotK not knowing what was here lol.

Also, it's been bothering me for a while, so: is Akiyama Uni okay with using his works just like ZUN? Since, uh, they are different people and TasoFro and Team Shanghai Alice are different organizations, and maybe have a different opinion about it...
Given that people arrange the fighting game soundtracks a decent bit, I'd assume U2 is just as fine about it as ZUN is.

I started thinking about it as well, so here's what I figured: it's probably not really about which is "better" or which is "worse", but maybe something about finding "undiscovered potential" in a song? For example, Complete Darkness is already amazing as it is, and it has fully discovered its potential, so an arrangement is really out of question, and even though it's chiptune-like, the best that can be done is changing the instruments only a little, while staying as close to the original as possible. Flowering Night (from Phantasmagoria) does indeed have some potential, but most of it has already been discovered in the most popular arrangements, the Akiyama's version from SWR and in the Night of Nights, so like I said, it requires an exceptionally great idea to make a proper arrangement. The idea, as in finding something about the song that, when brought forth in an arrangement, would illuminate it from a different angle, and make it sparkle with fresh meanings like a new thing (wow... such metaphors...). Like what I tried to do with Yuuka's theme: IMO, it has great potential as a rock piece, that noone else hears (well... at least some people don't), and so I tried to show it from that perspective. I think I figured at least some of the problems with my arrangement, so I'll post a fixed version eventually, but that's a thing to be discussed in my thread, not yours =P most of your arrangements do have this "fresh meaning", so yeah, great job!
Mm yeah it's really about that different angle. I do often consider the undiscovered potential in certain pieces though, such as hearing a piece and thinking it'd sound better in a different genre (like you with Yuuka's theme) or how a certain part would've sounded better with a different instrument, sparking a whole new arrangement, etc. Often this undiscovered potential can come entirely from viewing it in an completely new angle (hence why I'm particularly fond of "Loose Arrangement #1", among others) and sometimes you can just throw it in somewhere and realise it works nicely with whatever you're doing. My personal ideology is to arrange for the sake of arranging, and making something unique (ish).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:55:06 AM by GenericArrangements »

GenericArrangements

Re: [Music] GenericArrangements' Music: Arrangement #9
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
So this is a very weird one.

Touhou Arrangement #9: LINK

It's based on this one minigame from a rhythm game so it's entirely based around call and response ideas. Try tapping to the rhythm actually.
The original melodies are particularly prominent in certain sections at least. Had to do that otherwise it'd just be a complete knock-off anyway.
Also the two lead instruments should make it somewhat obvious what piece it's an arrangement of.

I've been researching and experimenting quite a bit with mixing recently. In particular, I've been looking at stuff related with EQ and making mixes sound clearer (and good through small speakers, though that really hasn't been working out). It's interesting stuff, but really it's also complicated and confuses me a lot, and I'm still not very good at making certain things sound comfortable.

I have no real plans for anything right now, but with an abundance of time I can make things to a higher standard (maybe).

GenericArrangements

Re: [Music] GenericArrangements' Music: A Loose Arrangement #3 - Remastered
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »
Once again, I arrive to throw notes at the wall. For the last update to his thread for this year, I've rushed something last minute once again, and made a remastered version of an older arrangement of mine.

A Loose Arrangement #3 - Remastered: LINK

...I guess it's more of a "remake".

I've been improving a lot in my mixing and arranging and have wanted to take another shot at this one for quite a long time now. Didn't expect myself to rush it so much though lol. I've spent the last two hours repeatedly exporting it to make sure it sounded nice for the upload. Part of it is still... yeah, but at least it's more comfortable and I guess more professional than my older mixes.

The arrangement itself had much room for improvement, as it was very empty originally. The original mix also made everything incredibly quiet too (a result of a bad synthesiser). Hopefully all of that stuff has been improved.

I always give myself plans for long projects and while I might be able to do one next year, nothing is guaranteed. I can't even get myself to post anywhere else, haha. It'd be fun to be a prominent music circle in the western Touhou fandom, so maybe if I can throw myself out there more I could get somewhere with that.

Z_A

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2018, 03:11:11 PM »
Also the two lead instruments should make it somewhat obvious what piece it's an arrangement of.
Ohhh. I see what you did there, mister. Good one.

Although I doubt many people here would easily recognize the sound of koto.
I've been looking at stuff related with EQ and making mixes sound clearer (and good through small speakers, though that really hasn't been working out). It's interesting stuff, but really it's also complicated and confuses me a lot, and I'm still not very good at making certain things sound comfortable.
EQ is nice, just be careful and don't overdo it. In case you're still using sf2 like I do, it's very easy to make the sound even worse and more unnatural than it already is.
Try tapping to the rhythm actually.
Tried it, didn't like it. The rhythm is very simple. Sorry. It's a nice arrangement in general, however, and in your own style.
For the last update to his thread for this year
I'm kinda looking forward to your first post of the next year on the 5th of January =P
I've spent the last two hours repeatedly exporting it to make sure it sounded nice for the upload.
Yeah, that happens occasionally. If it's really bad, try reducing the resample rate - that helped me a few times.
Hopefully all of that stuff has been improved.
Most certainly it has. I think you are paying much more attention to the balance between instruments volume now, in particular.

I like your drums very much. We could probably make a great arrangers duo =3 wanna try making a collaboration or something? Also, I'd be a bit happier if you didn't ignore my PMs. :smokedcheese:
I can't even get myself to post anywhere else, haha. It'd be fun to be a prominent music circle in the western Touhou fandom, so maybe if I can throw myself out there more I could get somewhere with that.
Please tell me if you decide something, because I as well would like to promote my works a bit more, as this forum is cool and everything, but a bit too quiet, especially in regards to music feedback >_<

GenericArrangements

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
Although I doubt many people here would easily recognize the sound of koto.
I think the biwa is less recognisable.

EQ is nice, just be careful and don't overdo it. In case you're still using sf2 like I do, it's very easy to make the sound even worse and more unnatural than it already is.
Yeah it's an unfortunate side-effect of EQ, though it can actually be used like that intentionally.
I read that apparently it's normal for the instrument to stop sounding good on its own after applying the correct amount of EQ, it's just that it will work better in the mix. That's probably for people who spend days working on the mix though, and I'm lazy, haha.

I'm kinda looking forward to your first post of the next year on the 5th of January =P
Dunno if it'll be anything particularly exciting.

Yeah, that happens occasionally. If it's really bad, try reducing the resample rate - that helped me a few times.
Actually my resample rate is always abysmally low, which I figured was the cause, though maybe it is the contrary.

Most certainly it has. I think you are paying much more attention to the balance between instruments volume now, in particular.
Woot!

I like your drums very much. We could probably make a great arrangers duo =3 wanna try making a collaboration or something?
That'd be something interesting and fun to do! Never worked on a collaboration before though.

Also, I'd be a bit happier if you didn't ignore my PMs. :smokedcheese:
aaah sorry! It's just that usually I don't have much to add... I read them, but often don't know what else to say (that or sometimes I procrastinate and never get around to it. I also don't check this site regularly so PMs going completely over my head sound likely).

Please tell me if you decide something, because I as well would like to promote my works a bit more, as this forum is cool and everything, but a bit too quiet, especially in regards to music feedback >_<
Was planning on it! Still no idea where to go though...
And yeah, I don't think the Art Atelier has been in its heyday for a long while now.

Z_A

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
Yeah it's an unfortunate side-effect of EQ, though it can actually be used like that intentionally.
I read that apparently it's normal for the instrument to stop sounding good on its own after applying the correct amount of EQ, it's just that it will work better in the mix.
I've learned about that too when I was studying EQ on the Internet, but the lessons that I was watching were strongly related to the actual "authentic" electronic music, while I prefer my arrangements to sound like they could at least theoretically be performed on real instruments (well, except for the sawtooth synth).

Even so, I started using EQ and compression while I was struggling to properly mix the Headless Hunter - that early =P this stuff really helps in many situations. Even when using only sf2 sounds. Moderation is still the key though.
That's probably for people who spend days working on the mix though
Actually, that would be me! yaay
Actually my resample rate is always abysmally low, which I figured was the cause, though maybe it is the contrary.
If you get random inconsistencies in your mix after rendering that are impossible to explain otherwise (not clipping etc), then it's probably some hardware or software problem - the soundboard or the driver. In that case, reducing the resample rate would allow your system to handle the rendering more easily, and the probabilty of errors decreases.

...is how I explain it to myself :smokedcheese:
I've spent the last two hours repeatedly exporting it to make sure it sounded nice for the upload.
Lucky you, it generally takes about that long to render a track of mine only once.
That'd be something interesting and fun to do! Never worked on a collaboration before though.
Neither have I, but I have a feeling that it's worth a shot.

GenericArrangements

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
I've learned about that too when I was studying EQ on the Internet, but the lessons that I was watching were strongly related to the actual "authentic" electronic music, while I prefer my arrangements to sound like they could at least theoretically be performed on real instruments (well, except for the sawtooth synth).

Even so, I started using EQ and compression while I was struggling to properly mix the Headless Hunter - that early =P this stuff really helps in many situations. Even when using only sf2 sounds. Moderation is still the key though.
As I've found out, messing with EQ is super important for any kind of instrument you're using. Most instruments are high-passed, some instruments sound better low-passed, etc. It all depends on the instrument and how everything works in the mix, to ensure you aren't clogging up certain frequencies.

If you get random inconsistencies in your mix after rendering that are impossible to explain otherwise (not clipping etc), then it's probably some hardware or software problem - the soundboard or the driver. In that case, reducing the resample rate would allow your system to handle the rendering more easily, and the probabilty of errors decreases.

...is how I explain it to myself :smokedcheese:
Well, that's one possible explanation!

Lucky you, it generally takes about that long to render a track of mine only once.
Ouch. I just use low quality settings to avoid rendering times longer than 2 minutes, haha.

Neither have I, but I have a feeling that it's worth a shot.
Would be interesting!

GenericArrangements

Here we are. The first arrangement of 2019. It's nothing any fancier than normal though lol.

Track 1: Backup Dancers: LINK

Really showing off some EQ stuff in here. You can quite clearly hear the clarinet being high-passed, and the organ low-passed, and I like how that works (though it makes the saxophones in the middle alternate timbre, which is a bit weird). Still happy with how it feels.

Jazz as always been my best genre for arranging, so I'm glad to be showing that off for my first piece of the year. Really messed around with the B-section melody, and decided to compose the C-section for that good (abridged) rondo structure. Had to hold myself back with the drumlines though, after receiving feedback in the past that my drum fills are too complicated for the role the drums are meant to serve. I just really like writing drumlines it seems, haha.

Anyway, this year I'm going to be actually naming the arrangements (sort of). Just nice, simple names, but names that give people a little more reason to (or not to) listen to it (as now they can actually know what it's an arrangement of lol).

Z_A

Here we are. The first arrangement of 2019. It's nothing any fancier than normal though lol.
!!!!!!!!!

This is your best arrangement so far. I love it!
Jazz as always been my best genre for arranging
I guess you do need a musical education or something to properly understand what is jazz and what isn't. I, for one, still suck at differentiating those things.
Really messed around with the B-section melody, and decided to compose the C-section for that good (abridged) rondo structure.
Can't understand a word there =D
I just really like writing drumlines it seems, haha.
You just really do, and that's amazing imo!

GenericArrangements

Re: [Music] GenericArrangements' Music: Track 2: Strange Techno Discourse
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »
Whoops. I did that thing again where I don't respond to anything for a month. Apologies.

!!!!!!!!!

This is your best arrangement so far. I love it!
Thanks! Glad you liked it.

I guess you do need a musical education or something to properly understand what is jazz and what isn't. I, for one, still suck at differentiating those things.
Often the umbrella term "jazz" works for a lot of things so even if you're not sure it probably has "jazz flavours". "Jazz" itself isn't a single definable genre and "jazzy" doesn't mean anything in a technical sense (well, a musical elitist would probably get annoyed at people saying "jazzy"), but because a lot of tracks tend to have little jazz elements you may as well just call them all as "having jazzy flavours", for example.
That arrangement is just straight big-band jazz though, haha.

Can't understand a word there =D
The rondo form is structured as "ABACA", where a particular section may be repeated 3 times throughout the entire work, with the other two sections usually more contrasting.

You just really do, and that's amazing imo!
Glad you enjoy them. Maybe I should try for something more drum focused in the near future.

Now for the music, because I feel like putting this all in one post.

Track 2: Strange Techno Discourse: LINK

The second arrangement of 2019 is... a fixed-up arrangement from 2018. whoops
I ran a little out of time and with a certain event coming up I've been saving a few arrangement choices for later (March). That being said, I was mainly distracted by my shift to life on-campus at a university (happening in the very near future), along with my own compositions taking a hold of me for a little while. So what we have here is something I EQ'd up ready to go.

For whatever reason, the Jigoku Route music in HRtP is much more chill than the Makai Route, which led me to make a silly headcanon that non-residential parts of PC98's Hell is actually quite relaxed. So, I made this, despite uh... not knowing anything about this genre of music. That was back then. I still don't know. Sounds groovy though, I think. Maybe someone with more experience in whatever this is could roast me about how bad it is tell me if it's in any right direction.

If I'm able to stick to my plans (unlikely), I'll have something fresh for March.

Z_A

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »
Often the umbrella term "jazz" works for a lot of things so even if you're not sure it probably has "jazz flavours". "Jazz" itself isn't a single definable genre and "jazzy" doesn't mean anything in a technical sense (well, a musical elitist would probably get annoyed at people saying "jazzy"), but because a lot of tracks tend to have little jazz elements you may as well just call them all as "having jazzy flavours", for example.
That arrangement is just straight big-band jazz though, haha.
Still... Is jazz about some composition patterns? Or song structure? Instruments used? Performing techniques? I can understand swing (swing is cool by the way, I like how you used it), and I know that a band playing jazz typically includes a drummer, a bassist (guitar or upright), often a guitar and a piano player, and some brass/wind. Also it seems they like crazy solos and some very high-tension harmonies. But... does any of this really define jazz as a genre? Or is there more?
The rondo form is structured as "ABACA", where a particular section may be repeated 3 times throughout the entire work, with the other two sections usually more contrasting.
I see. Indeed, this is significally different from the more common "verse against chorus" structure(-s).
Maybe I should try for something more drum focused in the near future.
Only if you are willing to ^_^ it's actually rather pleasant to hear such thought-through drum lines in songs that would stand out much less otherwise (like your #7, for instance).
with a certain event coming up I've been saving a few arrangement choices for later (March)
Oooh, is that something Touhou arrangers participate in? Can I join?
So, I made this, despite uh... not knowing anything about this genre of music. That was back then. I still don't know. Sounds groovy though, I think. Maybe someone with more experience in whatever this is could roast me about how bad it is tell me if it's in any right direction.
I'm not that sort of person, but I've got nothing to complain about: this arrangement somehow reminds me of my own Pristine Lead, although I doubt that it had any substantial influence on your work (since you say it's an older piece).

But then again, at least now I can more or less determine the genre that I sometimes create arrangements in XD techno, huh...
That being said, I was mainly distracted by my shift to life on-campus at a university (happening in the very near future), along with my own compositions taking a hold of me for a little while.
If I'm able to stick to my plans (unlikely), I'll have something fresh for March.
I wish you the best of luck, like usual.

PS:
along with my own compositions taking a hold of me for a little while.
Any chance for us to hear them?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:55:02 PM by Z_A »

GenericArrangements

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »
Still... Is jazz about some composition patterns? Or song structure? Instruments used? Performing techniques? I can understand swing (swing is cool by the way, I like how you used it), and I know that a band playing jazz typically includes a drummer, a bassist (guitar or upright), often a guitar and a piano player, and some brass/wind. Also it seems they like crazy solos and some very high-tension harmonies. But... does any of this really define jazz as a genre? Or is there more?
Jazz is really just a very large set of subgenres that tend to have some similar compositional ideas. What typically defines any level of jazz is the composition ideas that come with it, then often the ensemble becomes important too. Structure usually doesn't mean much (you can have it freeform or verse-bridge-chorus, but it'll still be jazz), but there are certain performance techniques intended for jazz pieces, and often there's a solo section. Really it's a loose term that only refers to small or significant parts of any piece of music.

I see. Indeed, this is significally different from the more common "verse against chorus" structure(-s).
It's a structure commonly found in ragtime pieces, which means it's an older one meant for solo performances (of course that's not what I used it for here, but I never really follow rules or anything like that lol).

Only if you are willing to ^_^ it's actually rather pleasant to hear such thought-through drum lines in songs that would stand out much less otherwise (like your #7, for instance).
I've spent a disproportionate amount of time trying to understand drumlines and I've gotten to a point where I don't really think about them much but I can imagine what would vaguely sound nice in particular parts.
it's actually a slight problem because i'm taking focus away from where it should be in a piece (usually)

Oooh, is that something Touhou arrangers participate in? Can I join?
It's this on Tumblr, which means uh... I'd have to start posting on Tumblr, which I usually wouldn't do but publicity is nice I guess (also that website manages to have audio streaming so we wouldn't have to post things to soundcloud first and ruin the quality).

I'm not that sort of person, but I've got nothing to complain about: this arrangement somehow reminds me of my own Pristine Lead, although I doubt that it had any substantial influence on your work (since you say it's an older piece).
I think a few instruments are similar yeah, like the organ. Very different tone though, haha.

But then again, at least now I can more or less determine the genre that I sometimes create arrangements in XD techno, huh...
Well I just put a blanket term on lol.

I wish you the best of luck, like usual.
Thanks!

PS: Any chance for us to hear them?
I don't really feel the need to post them (I usually spend more time making full arrangements of Touhou pieces anyway) but if there's a demand maybe I'll figure something out.

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
These are really good! Keep up the good work!
heyo

Z_A

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2019, 05:09:45 AM »
Jazz is really just a very large set of subgenres that tend to have some similar compositional ideas. What typically defines any level of jazz is the composition ideas that come with it, then often the ensemble becomes important too. Structure usually doesn't mean much (you can have it freeform or verse-bridge-chorus, but it'll still be jazz), but there are certain performance techniques intended for jazz pieces, and often there's a solo section. Really it's a loose term that only refers to small or significant parts of any piece of music.
Cool! Gotta read some more, but I think I'm starting to understand.
I've spent a disproportionate amount of time trying to understand drumlines and I've gotten to a point where I don't really think about them much but I can imagine what would vaguely sound nice in particular parts.
it's actually a slight problem because i'm taking focus away from where it should be in a piece (usually)
Hmm I kinda have an idea. Check the PM.
It's this on Tumblr, which means uh... I'd have to start posting on Tumblr, which I usually wouldn't do but publicity is nice I guess (also that website manages to have audio streaming so we wouldn't have to post things to soundcloud first and ruin the quality).
Uhh... does it actually mean I need to come up with new arrangements for the event specifically? Or can I post some of my older stuff that fits the topic?
I think a few instruments are similar yeah, like the organ. Very different tone though, haha.
I'd like to mention that I recognized the tune from listening to A-One and the Odyssey eurobeat arrangement, cos I'm in the dark about HRtP music. Anyway, I'd say there are also some similarities in certain lines, but only stylistically (which makes sense if those arrangements indeed share the genre).
I don't really feel the need to post them (I usually spend more time making full arrangements of Touhou pieces anyway) but if there's a demand maybe I'll figure something out.
I see. They are likely not mixed =D you don't need if you don't want to, I was just being curious.

GenericArrangements

These are really good! Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

Hmm I kinda have an idea. Check the PM.
I tried to send a message back but it said the user couldn't receive PMs...

Uhh... does it actually mean I need to come up with new arrangements for the event specifically? Or can I post some of my older stuff that fits the topic?
Nah just post whatever (old or new). I haven't actually posted anything myself yet but this arrangement I'm posting below will be one of them.

I'd like to mention that I recognized the tune from listening to A-One and the Odyssey eurobeat arrangement, cos I'm in the dark about HRtP music. Anyway, I'd say there are also some similarities in certain lines, but only stylistically (which makes sense if those arrangements indeed share the genre).
HRtP has a few really nice tracks, so I recommend giving a few of them a listen.

I see. They are likely not mixed =D you don't need if you don't want to, I was just being curious.
Well... yes. Mostly, anyway. I don't tend to mix my most recent things and by the time I want to post them, it's been long enough to where I start complaining about the mixing again. So in the end the only compositions that make it out are the parts of Touhou arrangements that are compositions.

Anyway... I'm a day late. I'll just blame it on February for only having 28 days :P :

Track 3: Lonely Night ~ Illusionary Night: LINK

It's more jazz, but it's chill jazz this time. A genre of jazz I actually haven't touched, like, at all.
Illusionary Night is one of those themes where I regard them as one of the best for their stage (in this case, Stage 1), but I almost never listen to it. Really, this is the case for a lot of Imperishable Night's soundtrack, because I really just don't listen to it (except for about 3 tracks, which I occasionally come back to). It's a very nice track though, and so I felt like arranging it (along with being prompted "Night" lol).
I wanted to produce a tone fitting of the night time, so that hi-hat rhythm happened and everything else fell into place (sort-of. Working with that C section before the last chorus was rather tricky, and changing the chords for the chorus itself was a bit of a challenge too). I usually make very energetic pieces, or pieces with emphasised beats, so this felt like a nice change of pace.

Hopefully next month I'll be on time... Once again, apologies for that.