Author Topic: What should I play? [For the low-budget !]  (Read 2762 times)

~Shin Kuroi~

• Sleepy Cat
  • fuwaaa... sleepy...
What should I play? [For the low-budget !]
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
hello!!

shin has been bored lately; he is wondering what he should play. he is open for any and all suggestions.

sorry if i am doing something wrong by making a topic for this ! please let me know if i am and i will try my best for fixing it.

consoles that i currently have:

gamecube
3ds (neglect; don't really have desire)
PC
phone (android)

PC capability:
cannot run very straining games; the most it can run is things such as yandere simulator or stardew valley, and thats barely.

note: i have steam!

i don't have money, so any freeware games, even games on browser, are open for suggestion! i would love for trying them and telling you my thoughts on the game that you have suggested! i reply late sometimes, so please wait warmly?  :blush:

for if i ever get money, though, you can still suggest games that cost money.

genres i tend tew like:
-adventure
-visual novels (very picky.)
-rpgs (turn-based)
-rpgs (general)
-fighting games(?)
-mystery + horror games (ex: danganronpa, 999, etc.)
-rpg maker horror games
-3rd person horror games (i can't stand 1st person - too scary, sorry !)

i don't really "hate" a genre i think, i just haven't tried much outside of the ones i listed.

games i like (for reference, if it makes it easier for finding similar games or something!):

-resident evil
-danganronpa
-touhou (pfft)
-morenatsu (do not google if you are not fine with nsfw results of furry boys.) (basically it is a visual novel.)
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (even though i do not have it ; . ; )
-100% Orange Juice
-osu!
-soku
-potentially AoCF (it is not out yet but i could end up liking it!)
-Genius of Sappheiros/Labyrinth of Touhou II (dropped both since they got too hard and i was getting frustrated. however, i like games in similar formats ! )

thank you for your time !! have nice day please \^o^/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:42:39 PM by ~Shin Kuroi~ »
yawn...

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
Re: What should I play? [For the low-budget !]
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »
Games like Dust: An Elysian Tail, Bastion, Transistor sold for a really low price when they're on sales. And they're all really good.

There's a lot of freeware games out there if you can find it. For Touhou RPG fangames, there's Touhou Mother and Touhou-A-Live who faithfully copies the mechanics and story the game it's based on (Live-A-Live and MOTHER respectively) and adapt them with Touhou. Though Touhou-A-Live gets kinda... edgy in the late game.

But my personal recommendation is a horror RPGMaker game called Pocket Mirror. It's a wonderful horror game filled with good (albeit confusing) story, deep characters, chockfull of symbolism, and good amount of blood.

~Shin Kuroi~

• Sleepy Cat
  • fuwaaa... sleepy...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
i played Pocket Mirror already ~ i'll replay it though since i stopped in the middle if i recall correctly. i've been following development since 2014 pfft

but as for the other games, i will check them out when i can !
yawn...

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:40:21 AM »
For rpg maker horror games i'd recommend vgperson. Ib is probably my favourite, but other horror games on the site are very good too.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »
I love rpg games mostly for the combat mechanics and such moreso than the story. I scoffed at people who thought they were 'for' the story because why, when even the popular ones were a joke compared to books (IMO)... Well that's what I t hought the vast majority of time for many years, I discovered some VNS that convinced me otherwise since (still few), but uhh.. regarding rpgs.. PLEASE TRY TRAILS IN THE SKY if you want a story... do note it starts off slow, and by slow I odn't mean boring if you have patience. I LIKED the start, but the largest critique it has from people who don't like it is it starts slow because you aren't a super hero bonking militaries around, setting off bombs in national fortresses and rescuing royalty within the first hour... it starts off with mundane 'finding a lost kid' style quests, working up to 'finding passengers/lost civilians', going up to 'solving civic corruption', going up to 'federal conspiracy?' etc.

I implore everyone who hasn't already done so to try it... pleeeease. Honestly, I've been reading a song of fire and ice (game of thrones) since before the tv series, and trails in the sky to me is THAT tier of storytelling, though very positive and idealistic instead of negative and grim (though sometimes people actually die... sometimes... pretty rare).

If my preaching isn't enough, just consider, if at the very least you like the first game, that will open the avenue for a large as FUU series. Trails in the sky FC is merely the first game in a very large series. SC (second chapter) is already out (In english too I mean), 3rd is also old, but is being localized TOMORROW. 4th and 5th (not called that, it's...part of the series but takes place in a different country with different characters, though some of the old ones show up as less important characters for that particular  story, it's still the same world and the same time setting though, so still very related), are unfortunately not translated still, and probably wont be for years. 6th and 7th are already localized (for ps3 and vita only, pc is in development), same story as 4th and 5th. yet another new country with some of the old cast, etc.  8th is currently in development on the Japanese part...

Basically just try the first game, and if you like it, you have a whole series to enjoy! Oh yeah, the whole series wont be cheap by single game standards, but the first game alone certainly is, and it is a long game in of itself, and cheap in of itself.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:45 AM »
Best freeware games I have installed: These aren't in your listed genres, but you mention not having tried too much outside those.

Cave Story - 2d sidescrolling shooting+platforming, pretty much a metroidvania with a charming cast
Spelunky - 2d sidescrolling roguelike, basically the first and most influential roguelike-platformer hybrid
Jigoku Kisetsukan Sense of the Seasons - a Touhou-like bullet hell with many selectable characters.  This one is a free Steam download actually.  I've beaten it a few times and have nothing to complain about!
Hydorah - a modern freeware shmup that echoes Gradius

Cave Story and Spelunky both later got commercial versions, but the freeware versions are rock solid too.

Recommendations based on your genres: I interpreted 'adventure' games to be games similar to point and click.

Shadowgate (2014)
A rather lavish remake of an old point and click adventure game.  It's set in an magician's castle and you have to navigate your way through puzzles/traps filled with fantasy tropes.  Highly recommended if that sounds like your thing.  It is not expensive and for such a great adventure game it gets unbelievably cheap when it goes on sale (maybe 2 dollars?).

Heroine's Quest The Herald of Ragnarok
Another game that is a free download via Steam.  A different kind of point and click adventure game that is based on the old Quest for Glory-style of games.  While I only played a little bit of those old games, the nostalgia was part of the appeal of this game to me.  Without nostalgia for this subgenre, Heroine's Quest likely makes for a less interesting recommendation, but I think the game itself doesn't have any major flaws.

Cheapest 'PC RPGs' that I also think are extremely good.  I don't have any reason to recommend them to you in particular though!

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - turn based strategy RPG with guns, magic and ficitional races set within a cyberpunk universe

Legend of Grimrock
1st person dungeon crawler RPG with a team of 4 player created heroes.  It's a real time game but you move on a grid, which I thought was a neat mix.  Legend of Grimrock has a strong puzzle aspect to it, it is not just combat and loot.  Figuring out the puzzle stuff when you are so alone and isolated inside the dungeon is a very rewarding feeling.

These last two will probably be the most demanding on your PC, but they aren't especially state of the art.  You'll have to check the system requirements.  I would add Dark Souls 1 here as another A+ game that can be had for cheap, but it would be much more demanding specs wise.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:47:52 AM by dosboot »