Author Topic: Subterranean Stars 3D Animation (minusT)  (Read 5336 times)

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
Subterranean Stars 3D Animation (minusT)
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
After nearly two years since their last major animation, minusT is back with Subterranean Stars, featuring Marisa and the Subterranean Animism crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeH_CcTq_8

Previous threads for minusT's other works:
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,16186.msg1065090.html
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,16980.msg1103416.html
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,18598.msg1194542.html

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
Re: Subterranean Stars 3D Animation (minusT)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:04 PM »
I'm so happy it's finally out! It was beautiful.

I cheered a little when Satori showed up.

But I feel a little bad for the other guy who made a similar 3D Reimu vs. Okuu "Dog Fight" years back, since that'll probably be overshadowed now. The models and danmaku weren't as good, but it had great choreography.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:50:39 AM by KrackoCloud »

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:50:48 PM »
Absolutely astounding. Not only is this an exceptionally high quality Touhou fanvideo, it ranks among the very best video game fanmade 3D animations, ever.
Well done to minusT.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
Remember to look for someone who might not be seen unless you're REALLY looking for her

Do we got spoiler text on this board? Can't remember
This Space For Rent

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:05:04 AM »
I have just one problem with this video - why the hell did "Hell and Heaven Meltdown" have to be a TORUS? Two big suns would have worked just fine.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:00:06 AM »
one word: wow

I have just one problem with this video - why the hell did "Hell and Heaven Meltdown" have to be a TORUS? Two big suns would have worked just fine.
The actual name of that pattern on Lunatic is Hell's Tokamak.

A Tokamak is torus-shaped.

If it makes you feel any better, picture that card as a 2d slice of a donut.

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 05:05:25 AM »
When I saw this thread, I was "I bet this is just a MMD like all those videos found all over YT".
I clicked.
I didn't regret what I just saw. Love that steampunk feel he gave to the SA adventure.
This is probably one of the best if not THE single best touhou video I've EVER seen. If years went into these 13 minutes 42 seconds, I would believe it.
And this is probably the most accurate 3D representation of danmaku fights. I can see why Zun would not like to make an anime adaptation of the games (written/illustrated works included) because of the sheer complexity of these battles. If minusT took 2 years alone to do this, I don't know how much time it would take to animate  all games with dialogue and "plot".

Again,

Wow. Just... wow.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:14:20 AM »
That is truly amazing and beautiful. I like how Satori and her third eye acts here.

And watch for some hidden Koishi over there!

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »
When I saw this thread, I was "I bet this is just a MMD like all those videos found all over YT".
I clicked.
I didn't regret what I just saw. Love that steampunk feel he gave to the SA adventure.
This is probably one of the best if not THE single best touhou video I've EVER seen. If years went into these 13 minutes 42 seconds, I would believe it.
And this is probably the most accurate 3D representation of danmaku fights. I can see why Zun would not like to make an anime adaptation of the games (written/illustrated works included) because of the sheer complexity of these battles. If minusT took 2 years alone to do this, I don't know how much time it would take to animate  all games with dialogue and "plot".

Again,

Wow. Just... wow.

You should take a look at minusT's previous works then. While looking a little less visually polished, they still deliver very well on the danmaku battle feel IMO.

On another note, I think it's not so much "steampunk" as it is more "magitech".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:53:32 AM by qMyon »

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
A new minusT animation means more wallpapers for my collection. Good stuff.

Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
Okay time for some criticism.

Honestly, the whole video is well made. The models, graphics, danmaku, motion, everything is good, except for one thing though, the music.

Unlike the previous ones, this has some parts which does not fit the scenery tho. But couldn't blame minusT for that.

And rewatched the whole thing. I guess one more go could make it amazing huh?

Kudos to minusT for doing all these animations. I do hope that there are more animations to come.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
Okay time for some criticism.

Honestly, the whole video is well made. The models, graphics, danmaku, motion, everything is good, except for one thing though, the music.

Unlike the previous ones, this has some parts which does not fit the scenery tho. But couldn't blame minusT for that.

Seconding this. The remix by Kanpyo's MIDI just rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, it's awesome but definitely not quite fitting in this case, even though minusT synced video to music as best as possible. Other themes fit greatly, though.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »
I can see what you mean about the music if you're listening at a normal volume. For some reason it works better if you turn up the volume by a couple steps and you can feel the bass in your throat, but that may also just be my taste.
Not sure what other music genre you could use for a magitech Utsuho fight. Maybe trance, like the intro.
It's really hard to beat the music selection of Reimu vs Yuyuko though, that was masterful.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:10:01 PM by shockdude »

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »
I can see what you mean about the music if you're listening at a normal volume. For some reason it works better if you turn up the volume by a couple steps and you can feel the bass in your throat, but that may also just be my taste.
Not sure what other music genre you could use for a magitech Utsuho fight. Maybe trance, like the intro.
It's really hard to beat the music selection of Reimu vs Yuyuko though, that was masterful.

Reading this, I could agree about the music, but again, compared to the previous works, they have a good feel along with the animation.

Let me discuss the other works

Reimu vs Remilia has a good track, not perfect, but is a good scenic track already so that's why I liked it.

Marisa vs Flandre got a good sequence of music, especially for the last track for an epic finale, like it was some not-so-serious fight, but instead enjoying the fight with display of power.

Reimu vs Yuyuko has an inarguably good track coming from the start, until the end. The chaotic yet calm feeling from the stage was expressed by it. During Yuyuko's fight, it fitted perfectly by showing how beautiful Yuyuko's danmaku was. And of course that resurrection track was grand, especially that part where Yuyuko really "blasted for real" lol.

Seeing Humans vs Yukari, the first one is, hmm okay. But when it came to the part where Sakuya comes in, everything fell into place. Not only that, the xi-on remix had an awesome feel through the fight until the very end.

And now, about the present one, Subterranean Stars. It's really good, but it bothers me on some points.

Seconding this. The remix by Kanpyo's MIDI just rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, it's awesome but definitely not quite fitting in this case, even though minusT synced video to music as best as possible. Other themes fit greatly, though.

Surely, some other tracks would have been capable. But what else can I say, thank God minusT made it possible to display that fight.

And pardon for the criticism I've shown.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
That was amazing.

But there is one thing that confuses me....Marisa's interface, how'd she get that? She wasn't wearing anything, did Nitroi put it in her skull a la Deus Ex or something?
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 11:09:16 PM »
That was amazing.

But there is one thing that confuses me....Marisa's interface, how'd she get that? She wasn't wearing anything, did Nitroi put it in her skull a la Deus Ex or something?

It might be a headset. Just hidden by her hair and hat, it may also be earpieces. Running it in slow-mo and looking at it seemed to hint that it was that way.  Could ask on minusT's twitter too
This Space For Rent

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Sorry for the double post but

A Behind the Scenes Video has been released

That was amazing.

Actually you get to see the assembly for it in this.  It's 's like those clip type earphones
This Space For Rent