Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 293832 times)

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
Whoa, didn't quite expect this kind of announcement, but on the other hand, I guess it's about time by now, huh?  :V

I find it kinda funny that Cirno of all characters seems to be associated with summer in this game, being an ice fairy and all...though thinking a bit more about it, her personality does seem quite appropriate for it~

do you think each character has a season associated with them? Marisa is dressed in winter gear, but Cirno is tanned and has "SUMMER" in the background in one of the pictures... maybe Aya is autumn and Reimu is spring? i wonder what it means, assuming i'm correct... hmm...

I can totally see Reimu being associated with spring, given it's in one of her theme titles. And with Marisa and Cirno getting winter and summer respectively, that leaves autumn for Aya, which makes perfect sense to me~  :D

(...Heh, and while typing this, I noticed that Cirno is apparently even referred to as "Tanned Cirno" in-game according to the screenshots. :V Well, that aside, it's nice to see ZUN experimenting with darker skintones~  :3)
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
At last.  With tanned Cirno I can play as a character who's danmaku skills match my own in a main storyline game.

Liking the idea of a return to an old style shmup as well, though it's been a while since I've had to collect lives or points the old fashioned way.  Gotta bust out PCB and get some practice in or something.

I'm hoping for once he's actually telling the truth.  It might actually be going back to some awful gimmick based resource system. Again.  I mean he said he was doing that with DDC and well we saw how that turned out.
This Space For Rent

Marron

• Ordinary crow
I'm hoping for once he's actually telling the truth.  It might actually be going back to some awful gimmick based resource system. Again.  I mean he said he was doing that with DDC and well we saw how that turned out.

True. I'm one of those waiting for the old fashioned system actually.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
At last.  With tanned Cirno I can play as a character who's danmaku skills match my own in a main storyline game.

Liking the idea of a return to an old style shmup as well, though it's been a while since I've had to collect lives or points the old fashioned way.  Gotta bust out PCB and get some practice in or something.

Was thinking the same, actually. Only with EoSD or something.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
True. I'm one of those waiting for the old fashioned system actually.

It looks like we're not going back to the BlueChip setup sadly.  They've been utterly meaningless since Mountain of Faith... 

Bringing back being able to start with more than 3 lives would be great too.
This Space For Rent

Drake

Yeah Cirno's title seems to be like "The Ice Fairy Unmelting Under Blazing Sun" lol

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

Yeah Cirno's title seems to be like "The Ice Fairy Unmelting Under Blazing Sun" lol

She's dealt with successive summers, yet we've never seen her tan. What kind of summer are they dealing with in Gensokyo? Have all the seasons gone haywire?

STAY TUNED!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
As someone else pointed out on a different site, this is clearly Alolan Cirno.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Tengukami

Deliberately calling her "Tanned Cirno"... could this be an alterego? Like Evil Jim to Earthworm Jim?

Looks like there will be spell practice in the game, which is nice.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom

...Cirno's title is probably "The Unmelting Ice Fairy of the Blazing Sky"

:colbert:

Drake

loldidn?tread

also can i mention the title screen font is super bad

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

loldidn?tread

also can i mention the title screen font is super bad

I think the font reminds me more of Generic 90s Style Computer-y Font or something like that.
Kinda funny ZUN uses that even though this game has nothing to do with computers. Or so we think...
Cirno the Ice Fairy~

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
The font works for how PC-98-y Reimu's title screen portrait looks.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Looking forward to decipher the scoring system of this one.

Also. Tanned Cirno is one of the greatest things to happen in the universe.

Tengukami

I'm feeling the font. Reminds me of some of the more clunky shmups I used to try out like 10 years ago. Love it.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Oh boy, a lot of people are going to rush for ZUN's booth this year. I know that quite a lot of MotK people are visiting.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
Deliberately calling her "Tanned Cirno"... could this be an alterego? Like Evil Jim to Earthworm Jim?
She has become Sunburned Sakura from Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.  :V

CyberAngel

• Retired
Welp, there goes that "human protagonists only in main games" trend! *evil laugh*

Cirno being able to get a tan solves so many metaphysical questions. Also...

sunflower

Cirno x Yuuka official couple, calling it now :)

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Nearly had a heart attack from reading the announcement

I'm getting this solely for that tanned Cirno. Tanned Cirno already put this in front of all the previous games' playables
Also rip playable-characters-can-only-be-stage-5-boss-theory, we hardly knew ye

Aya
Recent works have been VERY Aya-centric as of late, not to mention the mangas' focus slightly shifting towards youkai mountain (not that I am complaining tho  :V) Can't wait to see what this is gonna bring about !

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:21:46 PM by Suspicious person »

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
I've nothing to add to this. Just, yes. I just about had a heart attack myself. <3 I am so pleased and so anxious and so happy  :blush:
Ah, I'm looking forward to Cirno-things as well!
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

Cirno in summer is surely a balancing thing; she would be way overpowered if she could use her ice power in a game that wasn't designed around her being the only playable.

I wonder what Aya's shot-type will be like? Will she still have her camera power?

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
Cirno in summer is surely a balancing thing; she would be way overpowered if she could use her ice power in a game that wasn't designed around her being the only playable.

I wonder what Aya's shot-type will be like? Will she still have her camera power?

From the screenshot it looks to be shooting those IN Youmu's Myon shots just like Reimu is.

Not sure if those are supposed to be placeholders or not.  Since usually we have no one really repeating a primary shot type projectile
This Space For Rent

So me and some people were staring at the screenshots and noticed some things...

Reimu and Marisa both seem to have their regular two options, as well as 3 extra options (note they're only at two power). Reimu's usual options are shooting cherry blossom-like things, while her extra options (what appear to be gaps) are shooting a forward focus type shot.

Reimu and Marisa both have yellow gauges in the lower left corner, while Aya has a blue one. The fact that Reimu and Marisa have different colors seems to imply that the color isn't character exclusive.

Maybe there's some sort of IN-like mechanic going on that changes your color from yellow to blue, with possibly additional colors?

All three also seem to have different symbols above their colored gauge. Oddly enough, Aya seems to have either a flower or a snowflake, despite seeming to represent Autumn (Reimu represents spring, Marisa's outfit shows she represents winter, Cirno is explicitly shown to represent Summer).

It's possible that the character's season can change depending on some mechanic, possibly the color gauge. As for what that season would do if that were true, it's still a total mystery.

As for some pure speculation, one guess is that the player has main options and a sub options, with the sub options changing what they do depending on your current season (which changes based on some gauge mechanic). Of course, that would definitely not be a "return to basics" or a simple mechanic of any sort.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Welp, there goes that "human protagonists only in main games" trend! *evil laugh*
* Helepolis mumbles something along lines of Imperishable Night and Ten Desires

Nah, this is only a recent thing. Up until LoLK it was only humans. In IN the youkai were merely partners. Even in LoLK it's still arguably just humans. Reisen became an "honorary human" for various reasons, probably from spending so much time selling drugs in the human village (as shown in FS). For more proof, check the LoLK demo character profiles.

In fact, I bet Aya's being treated as a human in this game for the same reasons- she spends so much time with Kosuzu in the village, she's become an honorary human.

As for Cirno... Eiki *did* say Cirno was on the path to transforming from a fairy into a youkai. She just got things slightly wrong... Cirno wasn't turning into a youkai, she was turning into a human.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

I'm going for a really light and refreshing feeling, I guess?

This time I'd like to return to my roots with something that simply aims to make you feel good to play. No twists; the somewhat fabled "ordinary STG" might be the thing we need right now!

I wonder what these things will mean for the soundtrack. Will it be more reminiscent of the older games, perhaps?
1CCs: EoSD (Normal, MarisaB)
Aiming for PCB Normal MarisaB next!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Nah, this is only a recent thing. Up until LoLK it was only humans. In IN the youkai were merely partners. Even in LoLK it's still arguably just humans. Reisen became an "honorary human" for various reasons, probably from spending so much time selling drugs in the human village (as shown in FS). For more proof, check the LoLK demo character profiles.
To be fair, that wasn't what CyberAngel's post mentioned. You're now just bending words to fit. The fact remains that there were Youkais, Vampires, Ghosts, Half humans/phantoms and ex lunar rabbits in the main games.

Edit:  Reminds me. Touhou 9 is just as hard a main game than any other release and it contains playable Youkais.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:52:46 PM by Helepolis »

That was a complete joke hehehe...

Very curious, as one should be. A main game is always huge news in terms of the aesthetic. Looks like this will be seen as a sharp contrast after LoLK's 20-year-anniversary bombastics.

I wonder if Dr. Latency and Dateless Bar are anything we can expect from the soundtrack.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg