Author Topic: Touhou Music Discussion  (Read 3585 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Touhou Music Discussion
« on: April 17, 2017, 11:35:41 PM »
There's no topic for Touhou music and ZUN's music in general, so here we go.

I've been listening through ZUN's CDs, and they're good at setting the tone, but when the melody comes in, it's always a little too bright.

Edit: In addition, I enjoy how the CDs and such have a slightly darker feel to them. Makes a big difference when switching between the CD and game OSTs.

ZUN's arranges are a little weird to categorize for me. Do they go under "Arranges," or under "Originals"?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:59:06 AM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Re: Touhou Music Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
It could be your speakers.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
It could be your speakers.
No, it's not that. What I'm talking about is how the main melody doesn't "fit" the setting set by the first few measures of music sometimes. It's usually too "happy" compared to the "dark" intro.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
So this might be kinda a dumb question but what theme gets assigned to Hatate as the theme played in the vs Hatate stages in DS is an Aya theme and the unlock jingle is just like I think a 20 second sample of drumish sounds.

It seems that she might be the only Touhou (even the midstage bosses can conceivably be assigned the stage theme) without a really assigned theme.

I guess the question is with the DS soundtrack which one do you give her I guess?
This Space For Rent

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
So this might be kinda a dumb question but what theme gets assigned to Hatate as the theme played in the vs Hatate stages in DS is an Aya theme and the unlock jingle is just like I think a 20 second sample of drumish sounds.

It seems that she might be the only Touhou (even the midstage bosses can conceivably be assigned the stage theme) without a really assigned theme.

I guess the question is with the DS soundtrack which one do you give her I guess?

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Double_Spoiler/Music

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Double_Spoiler/Music

I meant more for track.

Since the Tengu vs Tengu stages is set to Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain and that's one of Aya's themes it'd be obviously out.

I've looked through it and I just really am unsure which would be given her. 
This Space For Rent

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
I would either say Hatate doesn't have a theme, or have Youkai Mountain be both Tengus' theme. Plus, Aya already has Wind God Girl from PoFV/StB.

Speaking about characters without themes, quite a few characters from the PC98 times, Daiyousei, Koakuma (although those two have their stage themes to work off of), Lily (Same thing), and other midbosses with no stage to themselves don't seem to have "themes" other than their stage theme.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:59:28 PM by Failure McFailFace »

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
While the theme isn't played when she's encountered, I've seen quite a few instances of Bell of Avici ~ Infinite Nightmare being attributed to Hatate.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »
I've always seen Mysterious Mountain as the theme of the tengu species, or even all the youkai of Youkai Mountain as a whole. IIRC ZUN said something about Ind God Girl representing Aya as a reporter while Mysterious Mountain represents her as a tengu.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »
Let's expand this with arranged music talk because the thread is dead anyway.

Is it just me, or do Demetori's latest few albums (2012 and on) sound kinda bland? Like just some generic same-sounding speed metal with few themes really standing out. Then again, it could be me, I don't care all that much for most themes arranged in those albums...

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Let's expand this with arranged music talk because the thread is dead anyway.

Is it just me, or do Demetori's latest few albums (2012 and on) sound kinda bland? Like just some generic same-sounding speed metal with few themes really standing out. Then again, it could be me, I don't care all that much for most themes arranged in those albums...
lol you can use "generic same-sounding speed metal with few themes really standing out" to describe all of Demetori honestly.
Themes that have stood out to me since 2012 include Alice Maestra ~ Flow My Tears, the Said and Bad Apple!! ~ Death of a Bad Apple.
There's also Inchlings of the Shining Needle ~ Counter-Attack of the Weak, which is as "generic speed metal" as it gets but is still awesome anyways.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD